COYA Community

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Riotgirl, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    #1 Riotgirl, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
    Disclosure: I have no commercial interest in any of the games mentioned.

There is a growing community of CYOA [Choose Your Own Adventure] players on iOS with the releases of Tinman Games Final Fantasy game-book licence (as well as their own IP); Inkle's re-imagining of Steve Jackson's 'Sorcery!'; and Forge Reply's re-imagining of Joe Denver's 'Lone Wolf'. Not to mention, we have A Sharp's 'King of Dragon Pass' (CYOA and Civilisation mixture, set in Greg Stafford's Glorantha).

I found an article on another site spot-lighting The Yawhg, a novel take on the CYOA format, set in a medieval town where the eponymous 'Yawhg' (a force of nature or a monster is never revealed) will destroy the town in 7 days. Destruction is inevitable. What isn't, is how you (and up to 3 additional players) will react this time to determine how your decisions will affect not only your fellow players, but your role in the aftermath.

It is currently available for release on Pc only, and is seeking green-light approval for distribution on Steam. I've emailed the developers to inquire on planned iOS release because I feel that iOS is tailor-made for COYA type games.

Do CYOA players know of any other releases that they think should be spot-lighted of interest to the COYA community?

2. Joltrabbit

Joltrabbit Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Shouldn't that be CYOA?

3. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Not what you asked but I am interested as well, I would however love more Inkle powered releases with similar imaginative combat. Sorcery for me was the next step, the dynamic nature is brilliant and makes it harder for me to enjoy more traditional gamebooks.

4. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    Received a reply from the developers. There are plans to port The Yawhg to IOS, but not in the immediate future. The developers are working on a number of other projects.

A pity because a multiplayer CYOA would work on iOS with GC integration for multiplay. Also, there is a CYOA community that could get behind the game.

5. Well, sounds cool keep us informed.