Why is Zen Bound so good?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by jusheteeensheem, Feb 28, 2009.

1. jusheteeensheem

Feb 16, 2009
    I cannot understand why zen bound is such a good game. to me, i seems very easy and boring. can somebody explain to me why it is so good?

2. ericxd

ericxd Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    iuno i have yet to buy it :D
    and mods gonna lock this

3. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Each to their own.
    There are many games here I will not buy simply because they are not what I would enjoy. If watching the videos of ZB makes you think it's not good, don't buy it. Me? It looked - and is - awesome. And everyone I know that bought it feels the same.

4. ericxd

ericxd Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    ^ correct...why i think is popular? new concept, there no other games that plays like this. The game is very original but i didnt buy it because like u, i dont find appealing.

Im not gonna buy it because of the hype; learn that from gaylando! And im sure alot of people bought it due to its hype as well! Some learn to enjoy and some hate itl according to app chart, majority loves the game!

5. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    Because it's relaxing?

6. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    This is a game to enjoy the graphics and sounds, to relax, while making through the best, shortest and harmonic way to bound the objects.

But not everyone would like such experience so maybe this is just not for you and as we all well know there's no game that'll please all of us.

7. Spotlight

Spotlight Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    please...let's stop with this "relaxing" story...
    Zen Bound is not relaxing at all.

Just because they say "it's ZEN and RELAXING" it doesnt mean that it is.

Zen Bound is BORING, FRUSTRATING, EASY, but with a beautiful 3D graphic.

8. Sierra275

Sierra275 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    nil
    Singapore
    Honestly, I never paid any attention to it until it was actually released, despite all the hype. What's good about it is that its a unique puzzle game. If you're not sure exactly about the gameplay, you basically wrap a rope around a certain object. When the rope comes into contact with a certain area, an area around the contant point becomes 'painted'. You simply have to 'paint' as much of the object as you can. There is no time limit. The only limit is the amount of rope you're able to use, which in most levels is quite generous, and any traps you may trap yourself in. See, it's not just a boring 'wrap around the rope' thing. The lack of a time limit makes this game a 'medatative' one, just as it is advertised. And personally, I agree. The soundtrack was pretty hyped too, but I think that it's not the only reason to get the game. It just contributes to the overall feel and mood of it, and I think it's one of the games on the app store to actually live up to it's description.

For those who are trying to avoid the rolando hype-trap again, I think that this is a much better game than Rolando. I bought Rolando when the price dropped, and really I think it's an okay-ish game, but not particularly worth all the hype. No doubt they're both puzzle games, but Zen has a truly unique style of gamepaly. This is definately not your generic puzzle/objective based game. Puzzle games are usually set against the clock or have some other 'point of no return/have to restart' thing. True, there's a restart button, but that's just if you completely tangle youself up and can't be bothered to untangle. Basically, it's a completely different genre of puzzler than Rolando is, and with the mood and atmosphere, is definately a more worthwhile buy than Rolando was.

Not to say that it doesn't have it's shortcomings. Your rope, while pretty realistic, isn't completely realistic. You can't do things with the rope that you could do in real life, like press it into corners. Also, you need a certain amount of points (there's a Zen-themed point system) to proceed, and the part I'm currently stuck at has been stumping me for the past half an hour already.

Nonetheless, it's strengths by far overcome it's weaknesses. The uniqueness of it's gameplay and relatively decent (thought not dirt cheap) price makes this a worthwhile game to cough up $4.99 for.

9. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Well thought add this you all need to buy sway definition of not boring and needs to be in top 100

10. madsoul

madsoul Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    i love it. the control is perfect, the art style and graphics are nice, the music is awsome, the main gameplay is relaxing and addicting. yes, RELAXING.

11. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    I finally gave in to the hype, bought this and can say that this is a good game.
    Not as good as some people here want us to believe and most certainly not the best iPhone game ever made but pretty great.

It is NOT a relaxing game, actually it is kind of frustrating because it is so easy hit the "end nail" by accident and then you have to start all over again.

12. Sierra275

Sierra275 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    nil
    Singapore
    As a side note, I'll admit that this game isn't for everybody. It's not for people who want 1) speed, 2) action, 3) fast-paced games, 4) killing. It's for people who, after a long, tiring day, need something peaceful to unwind. If peaceful, mind-challenging games aren't your thing, you're better off getting Hero of Sparta, iDracula, or Fastlane. Regardless of what you choose, I hope my advice helps you choose whether or not to buy this game and I hope you'll be happy with your final purchase, if you choose to spend $4.99 on this or something more fast-paced (and believe me, almost every game on the App store is faster-paced than this. This is not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, it just helps achieve the goal of this one).

In case you're wondering, I did actually buy the game and am currently playing it. And I'm not the peaceful, calm kind of guy. I love Hero of Sparta, Fastlane, iDracula, and geodefense. And i take sticks and fight with people (in real life).

13. hirschy75

hirschy75 Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2009
    You sound like a giant baby. Oww mommy this is boring. Then don't play it.

For me it's extremley relaxing. I just put on my headphones and play a puzzle when I'm stressed or right before bed. Just cause it's not enjoyable for you doesn't mean others don't enjoy it just as much as you don't like it.

Now about the original question. It's fun for me because it's a RELAXING puzzle game. There's nothing like it and it's very well put together. Anyone, especially here, should have been able to see YouTube vids to know exactly what it would be like

14. Spotlight

Spotlight Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I sound like a giant baby, but you ARE a GiantBaby75. :)

For you it's extremely relaxing, for me not. It's frustrating and overrated.

I like the graphich of Zen Bound and it think that, graphically speaking, it's worth the money, but it doesn't deserve all this hype.

The people of marketing have been cool.

Have fun.

15. hirschy75

hirschy75 Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Hahaa funny guy. I guess I'm a smart baby since I'm allready typing, like the E-Trade baby

Anyways it's currently #16 in the app store with a five star review so obviously they did something right. I can't say it's that overhyped either because of the fact that it's doing so well. If people find it frustrating then there's plenty of other games they can get/play

16. RedStaR

RedStaR Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    LOL "gaylando" I love that, because I express my level of lameness in the exact same way, by replacing half the word the "gay"

Rolando was probably the biggest hyped game.

17. Freegoo

Freegoo Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    I almost bought the game based on all the high praise... but the game video just doesn't get me too excited. It's possible I could love the game if I just played it... but I'm going to need a lite version to push me over the edge.

I do want to see the game do well (hope it breaks top ten!), and look forward to future titles from Secret Garden.

18. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Secret exit! ^^^^

But next time post it in the zen bound thread. This game isn't for everyone. Try zen bondage.

19. lopches

lopches Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    im sure hwz taught u to do your own research.
    i dont think people should complaining about it, the release of ZB was given notice to us by material facts from the game itself as well as gameplay previews and such. if it disappoints you, then provide a constructive feedback and help it to improve or whatsoever. i am sure the announcement of this game during its pre-release period, we've been given information about the gameplay and such. personally, i find it a very polished game and thus far have enjoyed it. like they say each to their own

20. damballah

damballah Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    I put on the headphones, turned off all the lights, and enjoyed the experience, and was def very relaxed.