Universal Star Warfare: Alien Invasion - (by Freyr Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jan 21, 2012.

1. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah, the game is pretty balanced. TBH, you guys could've sold it for more than a buck and still included the IAP. The only thing is ppl might've been pissed that you included IAP even though the game is balanced. I want to support the game with a couple of bucks but I refuse to but IAP, no matter how good a game is, so...

Anyways, your money (loot) increases by about $4-5,000 each level. The cost for ammo only seems to increase by $1000 each leave, so you'll have plenty of money to buy stuff. Throw in that you can get mithril ingame, the game is really solid as far as grinding to difficulty ratio so far.

What I want to see is ammo in the buildings--not much, but some. Right now, they serve no functional purpose and are just there to be there. Maybe after weapons are unlocked they could be scattered in buildings, but it's prolly to late to implement that.

The gameplay is excellent thus far.

**I don't really see any use of a roll or dodge for now, but I might not be far enough. I bring this up because if you add such an ability, please make it optional! I don't want another button on screen if I'm not going to be using it!

2. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    :confused: Almost all the IAP is for consumable currency. All the people saying don't worry IAP is optional have to realize there are many players, myself included, who don't fell they have "completed" a game of this type until they have maxed out their character's stats and gear. There are also people who feel a paid game should not require further (initially unknown when paying the download cost) payments to access more content. Also, a game with leaderboards where you must pay for the best gear is also a bad idea IMO. Still, all that said, I am downloading this anyway because I believe I can get my dollar's worth out of it, but I fully expect to put it down eventually and stop playing with the empty feeling of incompleteness.

3. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    The IAP sucks. This game is worth triple what youre charging for it, and we (most of us, anyways) would happily pay it if it meant there was no in-game IAP. I'm looking for indie developers to sever this trend of IAP in paid games, I really hope it's not the wave of the future in the app store.

4. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    What exactly does the staff Sargent IAP do?

5. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    You do not need to use the IAP at all. Nothing is forced upon you in the case of this game. It is simply a way to pay a little more if you think the game is worth it. I agree that paying 2.99 with no IAP would somehow feel better. But I am happy as it is. This game is insanely fun. :)

6. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Everything can be bought without buying IAP!

Consumable IAP = buffs...at least IMO. I do throw upgrades in sometimes and just generalize. The only consumable IAP is health but you don't need to but IAP for it at all.

Edit
    And you can earn mithril in co-op or every few days!

7. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Through the rain.
    Though im sure you already know this as you are reading this , there are advanced versions of the enemies that spawn more and more often as you progress. They are usually 2x or 3x the size and attack power and are usually greenish or purple depending on which alien it is. The bosses i've all seen are huge monsterous things my favorite being a giant dragon type creature, that i've yet to fight.

8. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Like I said, you can't just make that blanket statement. You do not need IAP at all only if: you don't care about maxing your character, you don't care about competing on a leaderboard certain to eventually be clogged by people with the IAP super gear, and you don't care about content being unavailable to you in a game you have already paid for.

What are you talking about? The store options are almost all to buy currency. There is one IAP for a starter gear set and one to remove rank requirements for gear, but otherwise it's all currency to get the best gear. Where do you see IAP buffs?

Yes if you play online every day, you apparently get 5 every 5 days (but your counter resets if you stop for a day, so it's really just an annoying mechanic to make you feel like you have to play every day or you'll feel like you missed out on something), and it makes sense since daily play boosts their AppStore standing, so in a sense you are paying them.
    Anyway, if it's easy to earn enough mithril to get all the top gear you could want, then that could bode very well, but I doubt it will work that way. Seems like these games are usually very well designed to give you a taste but not quite enough.

9. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    It's been standard for console and PC games for years, what makes you think the app store is going to be different? No amount of forum complaining or you asserting that it is so will change that the earning charts say loudly it's not a majority who will pay higher up front prices if there's no IAP. If no IAP and a fair up front price equaled the best sales and earnings, over half the top earning games wouldn't be "free". Yes, it can equal good earnings since a third of them are higher priced games, but most of those have IAP any more as well.

10. Bertman

Bertman Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    So is this better than Call of Mini?

11. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Through the rain.
    Also, in the last few games i've played i earned 13,000-14,000 easily

12. lumothesinner

lumothesinner Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    Yeh, thats what I figured, but not seen another like it and was not a bigger badder version of an enemy I've seen. Took about a 30 secs of firing to take it out, as apposed to 2-5 for standard or stronger enemies, but it didnt drop mythril, only cash. Ill screen shot it next time

13. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah, I'm tired and I described what I meant wrong. Honestly, I really just don't care too much. You don't need to spend money on anything and the game is a hell of a lot more balanced than a ton of others.

14. lumothesinner

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    ^This

IAPs optional, just like star marine, just like Infinity Blade, just like loads of premium games now. They are not going to go away because devs make money off them but no-one needs to buy them.

15. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    No it hasn't. I've never once bought ammo/consumables in a console game. And for those saying "it's not mandatory, blah blah", who said it was? Please stop using this counterpoint, it's not what we're debating.

16. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Through the rain.
    Ok i encountered the green bull thing we were talking about its not a super form of another alien its a new type added in the level the core (where i first met it) sorta like a mini boss. Very tough and very ugly.

17. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Through the rain.
    Feel free to add me on gamecenter Ferretdog1

18. hydrodj

hydrodj Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2011
    London, UK
    Join me for some co op guys, you earn more gold :)

19. lumothesinner

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    I tried...and died
    Going back to SP to get some more gold and hopefully better gear so I can survive on your level.

20. DahakaJR

DahakaJR Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    I drive trains, Locomotive Engineer.
    Pacific Northwest.
    I'll be up for some co-op 10:30ish west coast time.

It'll be on my lunch break: 40 mins, give or take.

Add me on GC: DahakaJR.