iPhone Titan VG Edition - (Valley Games, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by the9quad, Dec 22, 2011.

1. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    #1 the9quad, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2012

Titan HD

Kristopher Giesing
    Awarded "Best War/Tactical Battle Game App" of 2011 by BoardGameGeek! The epic struggle for domination is now available…
    $4.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Awarded "Best War/Tactical Battle Game App" of 2011 by BoardGameGeek! The epic struggle for domination is now available for the iPad! Players take the role of a Titan, moving through the constantly changing terrain of the Land with Legions of Ogres, Gargoyles and other monsters of myth and legend. Players move their Legions along specific pathways recruiting creatures to their side and using those Legions to battle their opponents. Battles then take place on separate terrain maps where only the strongest survive! This classic strategy game supports 2-6 players. The iPad app supports both Local games, with any mix of humans and AI, and Online games against remote opponents. Want to learn more? Check out our introductory tutorial at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-I-5BJy7UU, also included in-game.
    Information
    Seller:Kristopher Giesing
    Genre:Board, Strategy
    Release:Dec 31, 2011
    Updated:Oct 25, 2017
    Version:2.6.5
    Size:174.6 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (1)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    OH
    MY
    GOD

I had no idea this was coming!

I have no money for this! :(

3. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Anybody that can give a rundown on how this game is played? How complex, etc.?

4. Vernimator

Vernimator Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    3D Artist, Mobile App Developer
    Charlotte Area, NC
  5. Rokrdude

Rokrdude Well-Known Member

May 14, 2011

Titan HD

Kristopher Giesing
    Awarded "Best War/Tactical Battle Game App" of 2011 by BoardGameGeek! The epic struggle for domination is now available…
    $4.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Awarded "Best War/Tactical Battle Game App" of 2011 by BoardGameGeek! The epic struggle for domination is now available for the iPad! Players take the role of a Titan, moving through the constantly changing terrain of the Land with Legions of Ogres, Gargoyles and other monsters of myth and legend. Players move their Legions along specific pathways recruiting creatures to their side and using those Legions to battle their opponents. Battles then take place on separate terrain maps where only the strongest survive! This classic strategy game supports 2-6 players. The iPad app supports both Local games, with any mix of humans and AI, and Online games against remote opponents. Want to learn more? Check out our introductory tutorial at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-I-5BJy7UU, also included in-game.
    Information

6. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I remember folk playing this back in the late 80's, the game is legendary but I've never played it myself. There are buckets of troop types and all sorts of terrains that offer the different beasties bonuses or penalties in battle based on their affiliations.

I think the battles are resolved via dice rolls, a bit like some advanced form of Risk. I also think there is something about upgrading your units to bigger and badder types if you have the right combination of lower leveled grunts.

But all of this pretty vague and hazy.

7. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    This is a remake of one of my all-time favorite board games EVAR.

/wets self
    /downloads

In that order.

8. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    #8 Marcus70, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
    Really hoping for a lite version with that price. Looking at screen shot 3, the enemies units are shown upside down (definitely created to be played locally).

9. djflippy

Mar 9, 2009
    Titan VG Edition (Valley Games)

This is an iPad adaptation of the recent Titan board game remake from Valley Games, originally released in the 80's by Avalon Hill.

One of my top ten board games of all time and, in fact, the origin of my spiked die avatar...

Titan HD

Kristopher Giesing
    $4.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Information

10. djflippy

Mar 9, 2009
    #10 djflippy, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
    Deleted old link.

11. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So...tell us about the game this is trying to simulate, and as an old pro, how does the AI hold up?

12. Rixx

Rixx Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    College Instructor
    Longview, Texas
    Been a long time player of Titan, and its computer version Colossus, and this seems a good port.

Fun so far and the AI seems fine, but I'm just in my first game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_%28game%29

The great thing about this board game for me has always been the strategic overview contrasted with the tactical battles in the individual hexes.

So far it seems a great implementation, though the menus seem a tiny bit slow when doing things like recruiting.

Rixx

13. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    Any tutorial?

14. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    No but there are pretty detailed instructions, from what I've heard, that are easy to bring up at any point in play.

15. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    OH
    MY
    GOD

(as stated in the 'wrong' thread ;))

I've still got my AH copy.

This is a fantastic serious wargame with two main parts - you start by roaming the world map building your forces, and when two armies meet you pull out the appropriate mapsheet and play a turn-based battle on it. Survivors return to the world map.

A major twist is that YOU are on the board somewhere as a titan and if that piece is eliminated, you are out of the game. This is both very cool and the worst part of the game - in a 6-player game that can last half a day, it's a real bummer when you end up sitting out because you've been eliminated. Online play and/or games against the AI will help that a lot.

I'm both short of funds and lacking an iPad of my own at the moment, else I'd have instabought this at pretty much any price, it's an amazing game that I have probably spent months of my life playing. Aside from the Archon games on the PC, I can't think of anything else quite like it.

16. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'll probably get it as it has been one of those board games I always wanted to learn how to play since my early days of gaming but never had a chance. I just hope the dev adds some Single Player vs. AI related stats.

17. Wemac

Wemac Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Game Reviewer
    Cool, looks a bit like Neuroshima Hex, that I LOVE! More impressions please!

18. funambulist

funambulist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    There is quite the discussion developing over at BGG. There is some criticism that the learning curve for newbies is almost vertical.

19. XaxaxeOrcslayer

XaxaxeOrcslayer Active Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Oh, it is. I would not recommend this app for newcomers. Not at any price.

OTOH, veteran players seem to love it. So the developers apparently did a very good job with it.

20. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    Well, if the app is done well, the other is fixable. I would guess that with as many huge fans as the game has, someone is going to come along a do a video tutorial, whether from VG or otherwise.