Damage numbers, show it or not?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by iplayallday, Feb 11, 2015.

1. iplayallday

iplayallday Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Hi guys, the core game here is side scroll beat em up (with a dash of rpg stats upgrades) and I was wondering whether I should show the damage number or not.
    There are pros n cons I guess, showing the numbers visually shows the effect of upgrades and character build but breaks the immersion of fighting.
    Which one do you prefer? Left/Right?

ps : the art is still alpha as hell

2. Stingman

Stingman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 14, 2012
    App / Game Developer
    The Bay Area

It depends on the game really. Damage numbers are cool in some games for sure... rpg's for one. In fighting games I don't really like to see them. To me it would matter how detailed the rpg upgrades are and how important they will feel to the player. If you feel they will be very important to the player and have a huge impact on gameplay then showing the numbers could definitely be a good thing. Otherwise, I'd skip it.

p.s. I dig the art

3. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    My opinion:
    If you show healthbars and have numbers on said healthbars, you should almost definitely be showing numbers when you're subtracting them.

If your character can advance in the amount of damage they do per hit, you should probably be showing damage numbers as that's the easiest way to show that they are hitting harder.

If your character doesn't progress, and you don't see how much further you need to go to bring a monster down, the numbers become noisy and clunky.

so... like Stingman was getting at: it depends on the game.

4. CypherCove

CypherCove New Member

Jan 12, 2015
    If the game involves the character or weapon getting stronger, I think you definitely should have the numbers show. When you boil down an RPG, aside from story and exploration, the fun really is just the reward of seeing numbers get bigger. Popular games like A Dark Room and Bitcoin Billionaire rely almost exclusively on number growing as the source of fun. Let your players experience the bigger impact of stronger weapon as a reward.

5. yoethan

yoethan Active Member

Jan 29, 2015
    I personally like seeing my damage numbers get bigger and bigger with each upgrades. You mentioned that there will be upgrades so I think players will want to see that they got stronger visually.

6. mrm83

mrm83 Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Toronto
    i think you should show it.

without numbers its kinda boring.

7. speetz

speetz Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Make it an option..?

8. luniac

luniac Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2015
    To be all good.
    brooklyn
    yea man make it an option, id want it for practice purposes to see which attacks do what damage, but afterwards id want a cleaner visual experience.