80 days

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by inkle, Jul 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

Hey all!

We wanted to stop by and let you know our new interactive fiction game 80 DAYS which will be out Thursday 24th July.

[​IMG]

80 DAYS is a massively-branching, multiplayer, real-time, strategy-based interactive fiction, built from the same engine as our Sorcery! series.

Set in a steampunk'd 1872, you take the role of Passepartout, valet to Phileas Fogg, as he sets off to circumnavigate the world in 80 Days or less by steamer, camel, hot-air balloon, gyrocopter, submarine, mechanical shovel, Orient Express, airship, horse-back, sail-boat, paddle-steamer....

With over 150 cities to explore across a 3D globe, and with a built-in live feed so you can race against other players in real-time, the game is massive, gorgeous, and has almost killed us in making it.

We hope you enjoy it!

cheers
    jon and the inkle team

2. Alan-C

Alan-C Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Developer
    The banner looks awesome but.. no screenshots/video?

3. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

Screenshots!

Racing other players around the world:

[​IMG]

Visiting cities - this shot taken just after sunrise:

[​IMG]

Talking to characters to learn about where to go, what to look out for, and what to avoid:

[​IMG]

Travelling:

[​IMG]

And of course, making choices in the story - 80 DAYS is our largest and most complex interactive narrative yet with hundreds of people to meet, things to do, and scrapes to get into:

[​IMG]

cheers!
    jon

4. Alan-C

Alan-C Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Developer
    It looks stunning, congrats!

Marking jul/24 in the release calendar!

5. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

Thanks! This one's been a real labour of love. It's going to be awesome watching people play, too; we don't actually know what the fastest possible time around the world is but with the live feed we should be able to watch it happen!

Jon

6. Mongapop

Mongapop Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Amazing graphics!
    Reminded me a little bit of Carmen Sandiego.

7. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Any price information?

8. joethephish

joethephish Member

Jul 16, 2014
    #8 joethephish, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    Hey, Joe here, also from inkle!

Price will be $4.99 / €3.99 / £2.99 (Tier 5), with no in-app purchases.

Just took this snapshot of a slightly-hacked version of the game to show all the routes that you can take - each one has unique content!

[​IMG]

9. tsargeant3012

tsargeant3012 Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2012
    Wow... I moaned in the news story that I just wish we had another sorcery chapter... now I can't wait for this! Beautiful art style and holy hell is that a lot of routes! Instabuy.

P.S. I do still want more Sorcery though ^_^

10. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

Don't worry, we are definitely doing more Sorcery! Part 3 is about halfway written and we've got a couple of awesome new features up our sleeves.

jon

11. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Looks and sounds great and I already own both Sorcery games. Wondering if you have an idea on file size once installed?

But mainly how it works with racing other players live does that just start when the game launches? Or people that start at the same time can see each other progress? Just confused to how it works and I take it once you play to 80 days you've made it and set a time to beat or lost and start over?

Either way I'll likely be picking this MC5 and Micromon up next week hopefully. I'll be spoilt for choice. Although this week I have nothing : (

12. SirHanet

SirHanet Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    Will this game be able to run on a iPod Touch 3G 32GB that runs IOS 5.1.1?

13. tsargeant3012

tsargeant3012 Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2012
    Excellent news!

Keep up the awesome work, really looking forward to getting this next week!

14. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

Apologies, no; we're iOS6+ only.

15. inkle

inkle Well-Known Member

Hey! File size is about 150Mb, so pretty trim.

On the live feed, as soon as you start you'll see other players as pins on the map. The pin is shown where they are relative to you - so if you're on Day1, it'll show you where they were on Day 1. Tap them, however, and you'll see the full route they played / are playing, and if it's a game in progress that'll update as they move forward through the game.

The data is all pulled from our server and is anonymised, but you can also share your game with people you know / the wider world, who can load your route onto their map and compete against it directly.

On the time-limit, the 80 Days isn't a hard fail: if you go over, Fogg will get pretty depressed but you can restart immediately - or you can make it home as best you can and set yourself a time to beat. Getting <80 Days first time isn't straight forward, though!

cheers,
    jon

16. joethephish

joethephish Member

Jul 16, 2014
    #16 joethephish, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    You'll also be able to race specific people if they share their journey link with you, for example:

http://www.inklestudios.com/80days/journeys/?id=JUWtPga0ll

They're sort of like ghosts in racing games, except that they can also be journeys-in-progress. We're hoping that it might be a nice way for people on the TA forums to race each other, for example!

p.s. It's purely by luck that I managed to complete that journey in *exactly* 80 Days! Most of them are above or below the mark by some threshold :)

17. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Sounds good, my only problem now is there's 3 games including this out next week that I want, need time to play them all : (

Can you say roughly how long one round the world trip takes or does it vary a lot depending on route?

18. joethephish

joethephish Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Your first trip might take 3-4 hours, or perhaps less if you have a very successful first trip! It might be tricky to get round the world in under 80 Days on your first try, but the game is very replayable - go a different route and you'll get an entirely different story.

19. bsurf

bsurf Member

Jul 18, 2014
    Looks like a great game- can't wait until next week.

BTW - does it support Ipad and iPhone and can you save/transfer games using iCloud between different devices.

20. joethephish

joethephish Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Yep, supports both iPad and iPhone! I'm afraid we don't support iCloud just yet though.