How to restrict your app to run on certain devices?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Playrix, May 21, 2010.

1. Playrix

Playrix Active Member

Hey guys,

I have a question: we submitted an app to the iTunes and for some reason, now the description page says that the game can run on iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. However, it was not built to run on iPad. Please advise us what we should do to update the game and restrict the requirements. Thank you!

-Dasha

2. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    do you have a reason not to support the ipad? iphone applications run in 1x or 2x scaling mode on the ipad with a black border/padding. no reason not to restrict it unless you have licensing concerns. you could check the device name and then quit the application if you do not detect an iphone or ipod touch.

3. bmn0210

bmn0210 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    For that matter, there's no reason why licensing concerns would even affect what devices it could run on.

There's a simple hack to get around it anyway, so all you'll be doing is pissing people of.

4. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    you need to be jailbroken to do that hack.

in regards to licensing; if you have content you are reselling, your contract may not allow ipad, and only allow iphone/ipod touch - stupid, but from a legal standpoint it could exist :)

5. bmn0210

bmn0210 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    Very true, it could legally exist. What I meant is there'd be no reason for any company to come up with an agreement like that. I suppose if a company really wanted to license out their content to a second developer for the iPad version we might see such a situation, but then that'd be more of a pain in the ass for them than anyone else.

As for the "hack", I'm referring to the same trick that's for bypassing device and OS restrictions in GTA, which AFAIK never required anything to be jailnbroken. Unless something's changed radically since 3.1.3 (which it might have done, I haven't been following the jailbreaking scene at all lately) it should still work fine.

6. lukeca

lukeca Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    In general, you can't restrict your app from iPad, this has been discussed quite a bit in the official dev forums. The iPad was made to be compatible with iPhone/iPod Touch apps, it's a selling point of the iPad, and Apple doesn't want you restricting them. If you don't create a universal app then it runs in that compatiblity mode. The only way you can restrict it is to use a piece of hardware the iPad doesn't have, like a camera, but of course that restricts it from iPod touch as well.

7. Playrix

Playrix Active Member

Thanks! You guys have been very helpful. Really appreciated your assistance.

8. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    Yep. You're welcome.;)

9. OctopodSquad

OctopodSquad Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2010
    noT to be all offtopic, but what is this (hack) called?

10. SpaceHunter

SpaceHunter Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Let's say I design my app specific to the iPad but I would also like users of 3GS to buy the app but NOT ALLOW users of 3G or earlier phones.

The reason is simple - 3G doesn't quite have the hardware to render a high polygon count (OpenGL) that my game pushes at a decent FPS. Therefore the user experience is hindered quite a bit.

I remember once upon a time when submitting an app one could specify what hardware to run on. This feature appears to gone now.

So, how would I accomplish this feat?