Indie app marketing

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by chubs, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Hey all,
    I'm running a series of blogs on some marketing experiments on some apps i've got in the store.
    Just thought if i did a 'tell all' some people here would find it interesting and useful?
    Anyway if anyone's interested:

http://splinter.com.au/indie-iphone-app-marketing-part-1

And umm if anyone has any better ideas i'm ALL EARS! So far, i'm thinking (but cannot confirm) that the keys are:

* Make many apps
    * Cross promote with a slick 'more apps by this developer' tab in each app
    * Make a different app free each week so they get picked up by all the newly-free-apps promo sites
    * Make lots of updates to your apps
    * Facebook ads dont work... (see blog post)

2. aviadbd

aviadbd Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Software n' stuff
    What about adding a social factor? This could be anything from Game Center's leaderboards and challenge invites to tweeting and wall postings. It helps make the player spread the word by themselves, if they like the game.

Did you have any experience with that? (I didn't personally but am thinking about that..)

3. That's a good idea - however up until now, all my apps have been productivity apps not games. I'll give that a try when i make a game - thanks for the tip.

4. nicolasgb

nicolasgb Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Co-founder at HereWeGames : http://www.facebook.co
    Paris, France
    We're adding the following functionnality into our first game, I'll be sure to share how it's fared when it's out (march) :
    - Game Center
    - in-game friends ranking, ala "Diamond Dash" but connected to GC rankings
    - Invite friends thru email, SMS, facebook

Nicolas

5. lolzappan

lolzappan Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Has anyone had any luck advertising apps through facebook? Or using the facebook wall to find more users to an app?

6. nicolasgb

Feb 4, 2012
    Paris, France
    I advertised a facebook app on facebook last summer with my last employer, worked pretty well. By running a couple of small test campaigns (100-200€) we were able to iterate and nail down our ad (icon, text, title...) to reduce our CPI from 1€ to 15c. (in France)
    BUT
    that was for a facebook game, not a mobile app.

I'm in mobile gaming with my own company now and I would be hesitant to pay for advertising anywhere else than directly on the platform, i.e. within other apps. I'd be worried about conversion rates.

One thing facebook could do if they were serious about mobile is launch ads that appear only for mobile users.

7. layzerboy

layzerboy Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Outer Space
    in my experience, for whats its worth, Facebook ads don't work.

8. LiamAtDevour

LiamAtDevour Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Co-founder/Programmer at Devour Games
    Brisbane, Australia.
    I'm really enjoying your blog, Chubs. I've read the first three pages of posts, but couldn't load anymore because I'm still waiting for internet to be connected at my house. Looking forward to Part 2!

9. Thanks liam! Stay tuned, i'm going to try the next marketing thing soon. My plan is to try crossmarketing. I'm only sorry that i can't show you what *works*, only what didn't work for me.

And on that note, layzerboy, i'm glad to see i'm not the only one who found facebook ads to be a waste of time+money.

10. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Have any of you guys thought about cross-marketing opportunities with other developers? i.e. private networks?

I am working on a system with a few other developers, details and link to discussion group here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=118313

11. Okay all, i've started my second marketing experiment, on my blog here:

http://splinter.com.au/indie-iphone-app-marketing-part-2

@ Luke, sounds like a reasonable idea, you'd just want to make sure that you're all making apps/games of equally good quality, otherwise someone using 'crummy app X' isn't going to want to try your 'awesome app Y' because they'll think it's crummy too, by association. Anyway, if my current marketing experiment works, i guess it'll show that cross-marketing is worth a try.

12. nicolasgb

Feb 4, 2012
    Paris, France
    Can't access the thread but yeah I'm definitely thinking about it. I even thought of teaming up with a couple of companies to make a range of free "viral games" (or revamp exisiting, unperforming paid apps and turn them free) whose aim would be solely to acquire users that we can then market our own "real" games too. Those apps would need to be instant fun and focus heavily on inviting friends, liking a facebook page, posting high scores, interacting with friends, etc. Very much like how Wooga uses Diamond Dash on facebook to promote its other, better monetizing apps.

13. tepoortj

tepoortj New Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Hi, How does the cross-marketing work?

14. GarrettVD

GarrettVD Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Facebook Integration Consultant
    Canada
    I'd be interested in cross-marketing with other games... I hear that's an efficient marketing tactic for indie developers. If anyone wants to cross-promote with me (I have one app on the store, and one under development right now) give me a shout!

15. LiamAtDevour

Feb 1, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia.
    Yeah, cross-marketing would be good to get involved in. But I agree with whoever said it earlier that you'd want to know that your fellow indies were putting out games of a certain quality before you agree to advertise it for them.

Chubs, how'd the results turn out? It's been a few weeks since you started this next experiment, so i assume you've just been busy.

16. Silver Josh

Silver Josh Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Very interesting. Thanks!

17. Sorry took so long - been moving house.
    Basically on *some* days it appears to have made a difference. Eg twice i've seen 5 sales / day for the app i was attempting to promote. But most days the sales for the promoted app are not noticeably different than before.

So... not really much to report.

18. LiamAtDevour

Feb 1, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia.
    That's a bit of a bummer. Cheers for the info, though

19. It is a little of a bummer, but i've come up with an idea for my next app: people-driven-development. I wrote a bit more about it on my blog:
    http://splinter.com.au/how-i-just-wasted-a-month-on-my-latest-app-an

Basically, i'll talk to potential customers before starting on my next app. Find an online community full of people who would be interested, and interact with them before making it, rather than building it then trying to tack on some marketing after the fact. I guess for you guys, making games, you could do that right here on toucharcade?

Anyway, a penny for your thoughts? (fine print: no pennies available)

20. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia

What you've just mentioned is how many online marketers find their niche markets and make products for them. It's a golden rule, find the customers who have a need thats not being met. Then make something to meet that needs :)

Good luck with your next app, I bet it will be a hit!