★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Battery Replacement?

08-23-2012, 01:05 PM
Battery Replacement?

My iPod Touch 3G 32GB running iOS 5.0.1 has been giving me problems for a while by sporadically charging when plugged in to devices (giving an error that charging device is not compatible). Recently the battery icon/percentage got stuck at 100% all the time. Now the iPod is dead and does not seem to charge at all. I ordered a replacement battery including tools to remove the screen ($6) and soldering iron ($7) from Amazon and am going to go for the gusto. Aside from a botched attempt to solder copper plumbing piping and limited experience ripping open personal computers I don't have much experience with iDevice repair. Does anyone have any advice or tips in this scenario? I am aware of the multiple YouTube video and web pages, but thought I'd see what comes up here too. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Also, for what it's worth I called Apple Store in my area and was told they would not quore a repair estimate over the phone so I would have to come in to speak with a tech. The internet tells me that they don't replace batteries but give a discounted reconditioned unit. ...so here's a special "screw you too" to Apple.

Last edited by undeadcow; 08-23-2012 at 01:11 PM.
08-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
The internet tells me that they don't replace batteries but give a discounted reconditioned unit. ...so here's a special "screw you too" to Apple.
yeah, i've heard this as well, and it's really annoying. I just don't trust third party batteries. [probably they are fine, but just in my head]

I wonder if it's because yours a previous generation? would they replace a 4G's battery?

Playing: Ski Safari, Polara, Girls Like Robots, Dynamite Jack, Monster Flip, Polymer, Super Mole Escape, Dream of Pixels, Radballs

08-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filing Cabinet View Post
I wonder if it's because yours a previous generation? would they replace a 4G's battery?
My research indicates that Apple endorses a general "up yours" refusal on battery replacements regardless of device generation. The more I research battery replacement solutions the more I'm tempted to switch to Android (but sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't; plus I feel like I've invested enough in App Store).

Amazon.com has OEM batteries that indicate satisfactory reviews so I'm going to take my chance. Also I noticed that screen replacements are also remarkably cheap.

Last edited by undeadcow; 08-23-2012 at 03:20 PM.
08-23-2012, 02:59 PM
I would look up a guide on ifixit for the battery replacement
08-23-2012, 03:33 PM
The Apple reconditioned units that Apple gives are as good as a brand new model. Plus if you have a scratched screen or case, that will all be gone with the replacement - their reconditioned stuff gets new cases and screens if needed, and a new battery. Plus you'll walk in and then walk out with the replacement. It's not such a bad policy.

Now having said that, I've never taken anything into them for a new battery, so I don't know firsthand that that's what they do in those cases.
08-23-2012, 03:55 PM
I will acknowledge getting a new reconditioned unit at a discount is sometimes a good deal; but wonder about the development of a product that not even the manufacturer feels comfortable repairing.
08-29-2012, 01:35 AM
Attempted to change out my battery resulted in cracked "screen" (external cover of actual internal screen), burn to my index finger, and a still dead iPod. Conclusion: I still feel better than letting Apple charge me $109 for a reconditioned unit. Good timing at least with 5G expected in a few weeks. I might toy around a bit further but was only speculating the battery needed changing to begin with.
08-29-2012, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
I will acknowledge getting a new reconditioned unit at a discount is sometimes a good deal; but wonder about the development of a product that not even the manufacturer feels comfortable repairing.
I assume that if it's a phone in question, you actually get yours back, correct? After all, every cell phone has a unique device identifier (not the UDID, the IME, I think.

There are other possibilities. I now that there is a well reviewed case/second battery for the iphone 4/4s, maybe similar options are available for other models.
08-29-2012, 05:34 AM
One more thing...I do believe Apple is killing off the ipod lite, with the exception of the nano. If so, Every one is going to have to make make a switch, sooner or later.

I always believed that batteries that couldn't be swapped was a terrible idea.
08-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
One more thing...I do believe Apple is killing off the ipod lite, with the exception of the nano.
ipod lite?

Playing: Ski Safari, Polara, Girls Like Robots, Dynamite Jack, Monster Flip, Polymer, Super Mole Escape, Dream of Pixels, Radballs