Good zombie games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Piph, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Piph

Piph Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    #1 Piph, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
    Looking for a good zombie game that's not just another mindless twin stick shooter. I really liked Rebuild, but the game was too repetitive to make it past a single play through. I've played some "infection" based games which were fun, the most prominent one that comes to mind was Infectonator.

EDIT: Oh! And that Oregon Trail zombieacopalypse one too, of course.

Anyways, any suggestions?

2. J2o

J2o Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2011
    NY Zombie. There is a sequel, but I preferred the original.

The Telltale walking dead is a great one too, but not a shooting game though.

3. #3 dariusjr98, Apr 25, 2013
    NY Zombies 1 and 2. The first one had a more arcade-y feel, and the second one was more free form. I personally had more fun with the first, but put more hours into the second, if that makes sense.

Zombieville USA 2. Very fun, great co-op, tons of perks, weapons, and upgrades, and great graphics.

Dead Trigger. It's not a bad game by any means, regardless of what the TA community says, it just lacks variety. It's fun for a while, then the thrills wear off and you move on to something else. Then you remember the game, re-install it, have some more fun with it, etc, wash rinse repeat.

Zombie Gunship. Remember that mission in CoD 4 where you control the AC-130? Now, imagine that as a full game, with upgrades, and replace the soldiers with zombies.

Into the Dead. It's a first person endless runner, where you just run away from zombies and pick up weapons in case they get in your way, and they will. The money gain is extremely fair for a F2P game, the gameplay is fun, and the graphics are good. And it's also from a skilled developer.

Brainsss. You've played Infectonator. Imagine that game, but in 3D.

Infect Them All series. Also like Infectonator, but in a dungeon crawler like perspective.

Angry Zombies series. See above.

And last but not least, The Walking Dead. Prepare to be immersed in a brilliantly written story full of brilliantly written characters you will sincerely care for. Being an adventure game, it's not about the gameplay, but the story. You get to choose what you say or and it will affect you directly, like BioWare's games. Can't recommend it enough.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Zombie games really started rolling downhill with the arrival of the App Store.

5. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Wow. No one mentioned "The Walking Dead:Assault" yet? That. Not really any point in describing it. It is perfect.

The Magic Cube stuff is great, and they're good people, so check their games out. It's pretty casual, but a nice diversion.

There are bunches of others, but these are the ones I would specifically comment on, and you specifically mentioned non-dual-stick, so I won't bother wasting your time listing a bunch of DSSs.;):D

DBC

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    My personal list of favorite Zombie games:

Dead Space (alien zombies?)
    Plants Vs Zombies
    The Walking Dead (by Telltale)
    NY Zombies 2
    Dead Trigger
    Call of Duty Black Ops Zombies
    Into the Dead
    Zombie Parkour Runner
    Crazy Bill
    Zombie Tsunami
    Apocalypse Max
    Infectonator
    Zombies. (this one's twin-stick though, but one of the best)
    House of the Dead Overkill (pretty new as it came out yesterday, but it's awesome)

7. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Consider also Zombie Wonderland, it's a tap based resounce game but the atmosphere is ripe.

Zombie Glider is a zany but fun "endless runner" where you glide to devour humans.

ZombieRunnerz was fun, a 16-bit running game.

Rise of the Zombie is an upcoming real time strategy game that's amazing, I've played the beta and can't stop. You'll want to keep an eye out for that.

8. Whoops, I think you were referring to me in how I suggested some DSSs. I didn't even notice, thanks for pointing that out.

9. J2o

J2o Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Actually he said he doesn't want another mindless DSS game. I don't know if that means no DSS genre, but I think he's asking for a really good DSS if you know one.

10. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#10 Bronxsta, Apr 25, 2013
    On the subject of zombie games:
    I'm a dual stick shooter fan (as you've probably guessed from some of my recent threads) and since Dead Nation is unfortunately never coming to IOS, are there any similar games on the platform?

I'm not talking something like Zombiewood or SAS where you protect a base. Preferably it should be a premium game with a dark atmosphere. And with tons of zombies on screen at once. Like a bullet hell game but with zombies instead of bullets. If you've played Dead Nation, you know what I mean.

Thanks

11. You don't realize it, but you are talking something like SAS.

12. Bronxsta

I played SAS 3 where you're defending the house. Are the other SAS games different?

13. SAS 3 has hundreds of zombies at once in the screen, it can get pretty hectic. Especially in apocalypse mode. But seeing them all just dissolve right in front of you when you tear them up with, like, say, a fully upgraded minigun, is extremely satisfying.

The only other SAS game on iOS is SAS TD, but I can't recommend that.

14. Bronxsta

Really? Okay then, I got to try it again. Must have not played enough
    How were the freemium aspects? Paywall or only if you wanted?

15. A little bit of both with the upgrades and all, but not that much. The strongest weapons cost a lot to upgrade to the max, but that makes sense. You don't need it fully upgraded for it to be effective. I enjoyed this game so much though that I bought some premium weapons.

16. Piph

Piph Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Awesome lists! Thanks guys. However, if anyone else is around, I'm still open to a few more suggestions. To be honest, I game a lot while playing podcasts, so some of these twitch based shooters won't really hit the right spot for me. I like something I can take my time with and won't sap all my focus.

Someone mentioned Brainsss and Infect Them All, and I'll definitely be checking those out.

I've played Zombie Gunship pretty extensively, and it was good while it lasted. After a while, I got tired of trying to dodge the humans AND save them, so I put it down. I like the mode where all the people disappear and it's just zombie shootin' fun, but since it's only temporary and can't be switched off and on by command, it lost me.

I played the The Walking Dead: Assault, but I honestly can't remember much about it other than it lasted a day on my phone before getting deleted. Maybe I'll give it a second shot, but I don't recall feeling impressed.

I intend to give Telltale's version a chance, but like I said, I'm looking for something I can play while listening to a story-based podcast.

(By the way, if anyone wants a great zombie podcast, look up "We're Alive". Best radio-drama ever. I must be relistening to it for the 5th or 6th time now.)

Anyways, if anyone also knows of any zombie games that are more strategy oriented, I'm all ears. :)

17. Bronxsta

#17 Bronxsta, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
    Definitely give Telltale's WD a chance, but yeah not something to play while listening to a podcast.

18. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    King Cashing 2 is a RPG slot machine hybrid where you control a zombie army, game's pretty unique but maybe youll like it, TA reviewed it.

19. MUZBOZ

MUZBOZ Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2012
    Game Designer, King, and Lord of the Realm
    Melbourne, Australia
    #19 MUZBOZ, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
    B-Grade Renegade

It's not out yet, it's still in development (by me), but you might be into this when it's ready! :)

I'm personally always looking for a bit more of a hardcore gaming experience on the iPad and iPhone, so I wanted to make something I'd want to buy myself!

It's got semi-procedural level elements, so each level plays differently every time you play, which certainly makes things much more fun and varied for me while developing it! :)

20. TheJarvin

TheJarvin New Member

Jul 19, 2013