Mos Speedrun (retro platformer!)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by arta, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steviebwoy

steviebwoy Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Looks good, it's all about the controls though. Everyone will be expecting another League of Evil on this one, but I'm not sure it'll be quite as addictive. I like the water elements though; I wonder if the LoE guys will take note ;)

2. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Hopefully the developer will notice the comparisons on the Toucharcade writeup and take steps to ensure his controls are at least as good as League of Evil's. :)

3. steviebwoy

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Absolutely :)

4. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

This game looks great. Looking forward to see how it shapes up.

And I have to say, the replay ghosts are a brilliant touch. Especially for a platformer like this.

5. steviebwoy

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Yep, very much so. It's pretty much exactly how Super Meat Boy works, but in real-time rather than after you complete the level :)

6. Zaz

Zaz Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    The game looks good with all the speed and the level-design (water :D) but without lives, I think I will kill my iTouch :rolleyes:
    With the "one touch, you're dead", the gameplay has to be very accurate. In the video it seems fine and we have lots of good platformers now on iOS, so I suppose the gameplay will be ok.
    Curious to learn more about the game :)

7. samje

samje Member

Oct 13, 2010
    really like league of evil, and this looks great.

the Touch Arcade writeup says it has a two button control scheme, but the character seems to be able to go left and right and jump?

8. nickd3000

nickd3000 Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2011
    indie game developer
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Hi I’m one of the guys working on this game and thought I’d reply to any questions you have :)
    The 2 button control system is working great - we made a conscious decision to simplify and avoid having a virtual d-pad or analog stick. A lot of games do well with these but I feel that there just isn’t any feedback from the touch screen, your fingers drift around searching for the correct position or you need to keep looking at the virtual d-pad to make sure you are in the right place. With the two button system it’s not an issue, press the left or right side of the screen to move in that direction, press both sides at the same time to jump. It might take a minute or two to get used to it but as you can see from the vid, you can get really accurate and precise movement.
    We’re looking forward to finishing this off soon!

9. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    The Lonely Island
    This looks fantastic! I can't wait for it!

10. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    I must say this has really caught my attention. Any idea when it might be available? Not asking for an exact date but just an estimate.

11. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Have you guys played League of Evil? That's currently the standard for tight controls on iOS platformers. You always feel in control doing one jump, let alone double jumping, dashing and wall jumping.

12. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    This game looks great! Definitely buying. And to the dev, how many levels will there be at release?

13. Herosoft Ltd

Herosoft Ltd Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Awesome, I've been hoping someone else would use Shift's control system for a while. Game looks tremendous apart from the horrible dull palette you've chosen.

14. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Eh, that sounds good in practice. In reality, I'd rather there be an alternate movepad and button type control scheme, because thinking of doing fast tricky platforming using Shift's control scheme makes me shudder.

And yeah, you're right about the colours looking washed out and faded, like a Gameboy with low power.

15. nickd3000

Mar 9, 2011
    indie game developer
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Yep, LoE is cool! We've gone for something a bit different though. Touch screens will never be as good as physical controllers and we've found this two button approach to be surprisingly accurate and easy to use.

16. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    It look aiight and similar to League of Evil

17. nickd3000

Mar 9, 2011
    indie game developer
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Hi, we are hoping to be finished in around a month, then send it off to apple to be rejected :D

18. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Respectfully, you're going to be using touchscreens anyway, so that's a moot point. Plus we're not musing over theory: there's several games that have used simplified virtual button schemes excellently.

I'll guess we'll see if what you came up with is up to scratch, just saying it wouldn't be a bad idea to have an alternate method ready to ship. Still very much looking forward to your game, I like the addition of water levels.

19. nickd3000

Mar 9, 2011
    indie game developer
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Good points, arta. It doesn't make sense to discourage players who prefer virtual buttons, we'll look into it, cheers.