Localisation.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by TouchSF, Nov 16, 2008.

1. TouchSF

TouchSF Member

Nov 16, 2008
    hello everybody. i'm going to release two of my games soon, but before i'd like to localise them into other languages.
    did some of you do this? how can i?

thanks. :rolleyes:

2. DoubleV LTD

DoubleV LTD Member

Oct 12, 2008
    We tried with some companies, but nothing better and cheaper than DYS.

3. Silver Josh

Silver Josh Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    I used dys translations and appstoretranslations for my apps and both of them helped me a lot. I increased my sales abroad more than i expected. It was a really good choice.DYS is more professional and they've even add the link of my app to their website and helped me to understand why I couldn't check the Japanese and Dutch descriptions on the app store.

i think that the localization is the best way to promote your app.

4. Subatomic Studios

Subatomic Studios New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Thanks

Thanks for the interesting thread.
    I will consider the localisation too. Sounds really worth.

5. TouchSF

TouchSF Member

Nov 16, 2008
    I'd like to thank to all of you. We finally got our games translated and it was faster than we expected. Incredible raise of sales in European countries in the last 2 days :eek:

We are thinking to translate our games into Chinese too. What do you suggest?

6. Talee

Talee Member

Nov 29, 2008
    For those that have done translations for their apps, have you seen realistic gains in the app sales/popularity abroad, or has it been minimal?

Also, have you done localised versions on the app or just the description in the App Store?

If any are brave enough to show some figures that would be beneficial.

Thanks all.

7. Manta Research

Manta Research Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    We had great results with the translation service, but it didn't seem to make any difference to our sales. Then again, this is with somewhat older games that had already been out for some time. With a brand new app I would expect greater impact.

One word of warning: Japanese translations don't seem to show up in the app store. Not sure what's going on, but it's been like this for some time. It may not be worth getting your apps translated to Japanese until this is resolved. I've submitted a bug report to Apple, but have yet to hear back from them. Other people have reported the same issue, so it's not an isolated case.

8. DYS_Translations

Nov 4, 2008
    Dear Manta Research.

I'm Danilo of DYS: Translations.
    The trouble you've experienced is very common.
    I'm sorry to inform you that a bug report to Apple won't help so much. Most of the developers who report this problem didn't get any answer back.

It commonly happens on Dutch and Japanese iTunes App Store.
    We actually know how to solve this problem and we provided this service to all of our customers.

Feel free to contact us and we'll explain you how to proceed.

Kind regards,
    Dani.
    DYS: Translations.

9. Manta Research

Manta Research Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks Dani! Looks like maybe I was just checking the store in the incorrect manner, ie without changing the system to Japanese localization, and only going to the Japanese storefront. Dani sent me a screenshot showing that our app is indeed showing in full Japanese text.

In this case, I take back what I said earlier and it totally explains why our app is doing phenomenally well in Japan :) Even higher sales than our normal markets like the US+UK, etc!

Just wanted to add that I've been extremely happy with DYS's services. Very professional, very prompt, and very reasonable prices.

10. DYS_Translations

Nov 4, 2008
    You're welcome. :)
    Glad to know that.

Danilo.

11. kshep

kshep Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Sep 15, 2008
    We worked with DYS to translate Imangi into Italian and French (The app and the store description). They did a great job and were a pleasure to work with. It's definitely had a positive effect on sales abroad.

-Keith

12. TouchSF

TouchSF Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Same here. Increase of sales abroad, especially in Italy, Spain, Japan, Netherlands and France.

13. Silver Josh

Silver Josh Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    I'm quite sure they worked on Rolando's localization.

@Josh

14. Toisu

Toisu New Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Think that dys translations is very good. I read them in my favorite site! They are also famouse in Japan. it said they worked really good for FingarPiano and important games!

------------> http://www.appbank.net/2008/12/15/iphone-news/4216.php (sorry it is japanese!!)

-Toisu

15. Spotlight

Spotlight Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009

Thanks for the useful info Keith.
    I've used the same company. they really know what they are translating and it's surprisingly amazing that a translation company can be that innovative and studied this field so well. Dys service was great and fast, I'm going to have a long term business relationship with them.

Kim.

16. DoubleV LTD

DoubleV LTD Member

Oct 12, 2008
    why..?

after the localizations, Italy, Spain, Germany, France and Japan are now are now great markets for us too!
    We are doing well in all countries except for the US, very strange...

17. lithiastudios

lithiastudios Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    That's great!

What does DYS charge for an average app (say menu text, a bit of in-game text/buttons)

18. DoubleV LTD

DoubleV LTD Member

Oct 12, 2008
    we had a little app to translate and some longer ones. If I'm not wrong, the shortest was for 15 or 20 euro per language, which is the cheapest price around. Plus, they know how to handle the localizable.strings files (had a bad experience with other companies and NON-professional translators).
    I'm not sure about the prices but I remember they offer the best service in terms of quality/price. Just contact them and they'll tell you how much it costs. Simple :)

19. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    DYS is a pleasure to work with. They'll be getting my business for a long time to come.

20. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    #20 your personal robot, Mar 1, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
    I saw a few VERY BAD German localizations for some of the best games, like Edge, Zen Bound or Vector Tanks. And as a lover of this device I reacted and completely re-translated Vector Tanks and Zen Bound. Both new German versions will be out with the new updates. And the fact, that I really liked working with the devs of these two games, made me found trans<>app.

German really is not an easy language. And little mistakes can have awful consequences. So, if you want to go for sure with German, simply contact me,
    I make sure, that my native language, profession and passion come together for delivering proper results.

Thanks.