Felis a Rayman-ish platformer game!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by dogzer, Jan 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dogzer

dogzer Active Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 7, 2016
    #1 dogzer, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    Hello!

I've been working a bit over 2 years in this game. Honestly I have no idea if people are going to like it, but it was an amazing learning experience, it's going to be a very important milestone for me finishing this game.

[​IMG]

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V4qn8NSowM

More screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Rescue cats? Instant buy!!! I love the idea and the artwork, well done dev!

3. dogzer

dogzer Active Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 7, 2016
    #3 dogzer, Jan 7, 2016
    Hey djstout! Haha! I mean cats are over used on the internet, but can cats really get old? I don't think so!

I'm really eager to finish this game. Right now all I have to show you are videos and screenshots, but the real knowledge for me will come be when you actually play the game and you tell me what you think of it.

It's very casual, no login, no long list of options, kind of like mario, you walk around the island from level to level. I hope it provides fun.

Anyway, back to work!

4. BrentVDM

BrentVDM Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Looks good :)! When is this going to be available?

5. djstout

Jul 21, 2011
    Taiwan & Japan
    Actually my cats owe the house so more cats in games won't kill me ^^ if I had your knowledge about computer programming I would definitely make my own cat platformer. There are a lot of games with cats but too few are really good. Anyway I'll happily play this one and will let you know what I honestly think about.

6. dogzer

dogzer Active Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 7, 2016
    #6 dogzer, Jan 7, 2016
    I've always used cats in my drawings, but I never had a cat until recently. Which gets along with my dog just fine.

To answer BrentVDM's question, I still have a bit more work ahead of me, I think maybe 2 months left.

But I will post again when it's done, in case you are still lurking the forums. I could even send you a mail if you want. I'm not 100% sure but I think I can have free promo codes. So whoever can spend like 20 mins give me an opinion.

I think making the game about cats was the right call. The game was actually going to use weird little creatures:
    [​IMG]

I was going to call them "Zerkies" (lol)... but I wasn't feeling confident about it, also, I wanted to make every zerky different... and how do I make 40 different variations of that design?? So I decided to use cats instead. Each cat has its own design. It makes it more personal.
    There're 3 cats hidden in each level. You can see which cats you've rescued on little banners.
    [​IMG]

At least for now my goal are 13 levels. So 39 cats, but it's not as easy as it sounds! Especially on later levels.

7. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #7 bigrand1, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    Really liking what I'm seeing here! Zerkies sounds cool! Maybe since you're using the cats you shouldn't have let the 'cat' outta the bag and kept that to yourself and used that in your next game! I'm excited to play this game! If you have promo codes, flow one my way via PM and I'll check it out and let you know what I think! If not, no worries, as I'll be grabbing this up anyway when it comes out! Really good work, man! #

8. djstout

Jul 21, 2011
    Taiwan & Japan
    Count for me to test the game, I'll gladly review it.

9. djstout

Jul 21, 2011
    Taiwan & Japan
    By the way, will the cats follow us like companion? Would be great to have one cat (of those we rescued) helping us by giving us extra power or maybe having the choice to control it and do things that the main character can't do.

10. dogzer

dogzer Active Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 7, 2016
    Cats do follow you! They can overcome most obstacles, but often they will ask "Help!", which means you have to carry them on your arms over obstacles too big for them.

I literally thought of making cats do more than just follow you. Right now you need them for some things, like standing on slabs that open doors and hold them open, while you rescue the next cat.

Implementing a function to control cats wouldn't be that difficult, as all characters use the same movement controller, except player receives player input, where cats receive input from AI scripts.

I will seriously think about doing this!

11. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I have 3 cats...they like to hang with me while I play...looking forward to this one! And I'm glad you didn't go with Zerkies.

12. dogzer

dogzer Active Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 7, 2016
    Man, I'm glad too! It just hit me like that. It's not the first time I attempt to pull off a cat game, for example.. below is a test from long ago, a different game, also platformer, but main character was a cat:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KNnWyNo56Q

Merely brainstorming on the fly, about controlling cats, maybe you could go past a hoop, or magic mirror, and roles become reversed. Cats are smaller and sneak through smaller passages. Going to see how I can implement this around the game.

13. PBSNellie

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    Try herding cats..I do this every day along with my little dog. Work that one into the game!

14. dogzer

dogzer Active Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 7, 2016
    Hehe, difficulty: Herd mode!

The hardest part is that is herding them out of trees :p

15. PBSNellie

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I like that! Herd mode. It's different. You could have them going in all kinds of directions and then have to collect them all into one area....

16. Valentia

Valentia Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    #16 Valentia, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    Kitties, yay! On my watchlist it goes. :)

My kitty likes to hang over my shoulder while I play or read on my iPad. Sometimes he'll touch the screen and mess me up--apparently cat paws work as well as fingers on a touch screen. I'm working on teaching him to tap on cue. :D

17. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
  18. djstout

Jul 21, 2011
    Taiwan & Japan
    I have 3 cats too ^^ and one or two are always around when I play

19. djstout

Jul 21, 2011
    Taiwan & Japan
    I don't know if you have to collect stars or any kinds of bonus, but you could let us control the cats to get those small collectable things that are for example on a tree (the cat could use his paws to climb up). Or we could use them to attack (cats can be super mean when they are upset).

20. dogzer

dogzer Active Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 7, 2016
    Well, at the moment only collectibles are fruits(health) and potions(powerups), more collectibles could be added, maybe as an extra challenge. Cats could collect thread balls, hehe.

Lol @ cat puns!Btw as soon as the game's ready for testing, I will learn a bit about how promo code works, I'll be sure to pm them!