Universal kubic - [Optical Illusion Puzzle] - 6 Beta Testers Wanted!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by PixelEnvision, May 12, 2016.

1. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Brighton, UK
    #1 PixelEnvision, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
    [​IMG]

kubic is an optical illusion relaxing puzzle game based on "convex concave" section of the 1992 original, Heaven & Earth. You can read a recent 2015 review of it on kotaku.

Puzzles designed by puzzle master Scott Kim and loosely based on Escher's optical illusions, AFAIK nothing similar exists on the AppStore.

[​IMG]

Game is mostly finished and we're aiming for an early June release.

At this point we need 6 external testers for bug hunting & tweak suggestions. If you are into puzzles and like what you see, please send me a PM with your TestFlight Id. Beta Tester Requirements: Loving puzzle games who can think creatively in 2d/3d with any iOS 6.0+ device.

We do not require any more testers, thank you for your interest!

Best Regards!

2. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    I have to say, out of all the 'trends' in mobile gaming, non-Euclidean geometry is my favourite. Sent a PM!

3. Mrbestapps

Mrbestapps Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2015
    I can beta test for you.

I have 4 devices.
    iPad 4 iOS 9.3.2
    iPhone 6 9.3.2
    iPhone 6 9.3.2
    iPod 4 6.1.6

Send me a pm if you would like me to test. I'll happily send you feedback.

4. kripa1415`

kripa1415` Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2012
    it looks cool, any game teaser ?

5. PixelEnvision

Jun 8, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Brighton, UK
    Thank you! :)
    I'm working it now, I'll post it here soon...

6. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    On 36 out of 59, very tricky puzzle game.
    The central conceit is that you move cubic blocks around to make shapes. But not everything is as it seems...
    Essentially this is actually a 2d puzzle game that uses the 3-dimensional traits of our mind against us. The cubes represented are not actually cubes, but better imagined as flat pieces of paper with a pattern on it. The puzzle is then to stack all the pieces of paper to make another recognizably 3-d shape (or not so recognizably 3-d, in later levels) without any cyclic stacking.
    It's a nice concept with some very clever puzzles. I found that the smaller puzzles tended to be more fun to solve than larger ones. I skipped a lot of the puzzles with 8+ pieces.
    It's very very very difficult. Although technically the puzzles can be solved somewhat algorithmically by working backwards, there's a lot to keep in mind and with our 3-d perception working against us the game is very hard.
    Music is nice in the background, very zen to stop you from getting frustrated.

All in all it's a cool concept but it may not be very accessible to a lot of casual gamers in the more difficult levels.

Bugs: A few times I thought I'd made the shape and the game didn't recognize it. In all of these cases after studying my screenshots I had certain lengths one cube too long or too short, so my fault entirely.
    Tweaks: Difficulty curve is tough, definitely. I know it's nice to group together the 'alphabet' puzzles but I really feel like the early ones like M C or S could have been placed earlier as I found those easier then say, big tricky cube.

7. PixelEnvision

Jun 8, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Brighton, UK
    I agree, some of them are very hard but there are no timers, etc. and I've made the puzzles non-linear so players may skip them just as you did to re-visit at a later time.

Nice to hear that, that was my goal while picking the music.

Ah nice, I've worried for a moment when I started to read that sentence.

There are 5 main groups of 12 puzzles, each group has a difficulty curve within but when you move on to the next one it's starts easier. There are few reasons for this, for one each group has a different style, from regular geometry to inverted ones. So the player will learn how to solve them progressively. Also, it gives some breathing space after "the boss" of each group. :)

But I guess you're right about those letters, I'll see what I can do at this point.

Thank you for your review! :cool: