Apps now Made In China, where's everyone else?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Bonky, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Bonky

Bonky Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Translation, Localization, Marketing
    Beijing
    So I just read this article:
    INFOGRAPHIC: The Rise of the Planet of the Apps
    http://www.appannie.com/blog/infographic-rise/

I thought, gee whiz, that's why there's so many sellers with Chinese names (names beginning with "Zhang" "Li" "Bi" "Cui" to name a few) in almost every new game I've looked at for the past week.

So, either their advertising style is catching my eye better than other games, there's been a spike lately in Chinese app production (probably in lieu of what the article above talked about) in the past month or so, or it's just a big coincidence.

I guess the weird thing is, I would still expect the so called "prize-money countries" the U.S. and Japan to still be putting out more products than China. Other than Squaresoft (yeah, I still call them that), where are all the Japanese companies? I haven't seen a single one, yet the Chinese seem to be translating their games just fine (although "translating" is used loosely here, for some games).

Why isn't there a more even mix of developers contributing to the app store of late? Does anyone else feel the same? Or am I going crazy?

2. cotton julius

cotton julius Active Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Don't worry about it. More and more apps are made in China, but please keep in mind, most of the best games are made in US, such as Draw something, Angry Bird Space, Plants VS Zombies. While, I don't mean that all the apps made in China are not good. Better games are always popular, I believe. Users, like us, are always pleased to find more and more interesting games, whether they are from China or from other countries. Everyone has their own preference. If it is funny, ok, Welcome. If not, never mind, just continue to find others.

3. Picoman

Picoman Well-Known Member

When a dev submits an app they have the option to choose 'all stores' or can select individual countries. So when a Chinese developer submits an app they would want to release worldwide therefore the app will show up in the US App Store. As the are 1.3 Billion people in China, there will become a high number of chinese only apps. Don't worry about it though, there will always be a strong number of apps made in Europe and US with each countries store having a top 200 unique to that store.

4. Ninja J

Ninja J Active Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Actually the app market in China is a mess. And Chinese people don't pay a penny for their apps, android, windows, ios, whatever. And they think nothing about the ads appeared on their apps.

5. TapMad_D

TapMad_D Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    as i see it, most of the games in the US Appstore are from the west. however, i did witness some shits in the top grossing list with Chinese names. Apple should do something.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Wouldnt say crazy but i wouldnt get worried about it. Every week theres tons of great games, i've tried some of the chinese apps, the 'translated' ones are pretty awful, surely they can pay someone just to run through the text ?

Theres tons of western apps to keep me happy and will continue to be as long as we keep buying them.

7. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    Um, I think you'll find that the Angry Birds games are made in Finland.

8. Bonky

Bonky Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Translation, Localization, Marketing
    Beijing
    This is the title for my reply.

I think the feeling and basis behind his argument is still valid. Thank you, both! :D

Finland. Interesting!

9. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    Cina is going to conquer the entire world...why chit-chatting about it...it's a fact!

10. spinal

spinal Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Gamers biggest problems with systems right now, is region locking. Nobody wants to be blocked from playing games just because they are in a different country. The last thing on Apples mind should be to 'do something'. Taking the publication region out of the hands of the developer would be a terrible move and would result in games either being priced a lot different from region to region, or just not being published at all.
    How would you like it if an stupidly popular game was not available in your region just because Apple said so, even if the publisher was more that happy to.
    Or worse, you, as a developer are told that you can't release your app in region-x even though there are more gamers there willing to buy your app?

Region locking is by far the worst thing to happen to video gaming ever.