iTunes 9 user experience

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by designxtek, Sep 28, 2009.

1. designxtek

designxtek Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2009
    3D Artist / Technical Artist / Web Developer
    San Diego, CA
    #1 designxtek, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
    Has anyone upgraded to iTunes 9 yet?

It is a bit frustrating in usability and could impact sales of new game releases to the iTunes store.

Navigation of iTunes 9

I noticed it is a lot harder to navigate to the games section of the app store. You have to go through the menu at the top. Not by clicking once but by holding down the mouse button and navigating to "games". The menu button isn't standard in usability. Clicking once normally expands the menu allowing you to easily select an item from the drop down. But in iTunes 9 you have to click and hold.

Clicking once will take you to the app store's main page without any other options to go to the gaming page.

New release category

The new releases by category is also hard to find too. I spent 10 minutes looking for the new releases by category the first time I used iTunes 9.
    I had to scroll down to the bottom of the page to find the categories (action, adventure, arcade, board, card, etc).

App Store (click and hold) > Games > scroll down to the bottom of the page to find categories.

Side note: For some reason I can't find the categories on the older itunes. I only see games setion. It is like it got ripped out and only shows up on iTunes9 now.

This makes it harder for indie developers to get noticed when they release their games.

On average I don't know how many people click through all those hurdles to look at new games that aren't featured.

Any thoughts?

2. darkhorse

darkhorse Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
    When you hover the mouse over the App Store banner, a drop down arrow appears on the right side. Click the arrow once and the drop down will stay.

3. designxtek

Apr 30, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    LOL wow I wonder how many people missed that one. I saw the down arrow but I didn't know it was clickable to make it stay. I took the down arrow appearing as an indicator that there is a drop down menu. Instinctively I held down the App Store button to get the menu.

That little arrow is a small click area percentage. To me it is still a usability fail.

4. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2009
    I don't have to click and hold. If I take my mouse slight to the right of the appstore text I get an arrow, click on that then on games and I'm there. Actually it's easier, it's one less page download.

I agree with ya on this one... kinda strange that there simply isn't a "what's new" under the appstore dropdown and on a specific category page.

5. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    With itunes9 it is now possible to arrange apps icons in iTunes and then sync to iDevice. Unfortunately, if you have more than 11 pages (using the extra pages glitch) they are not recognised in itunes. Also, iTunes 9 insists on rearranging the icons on my iPod Touch in alphabetical order. I can no longer sync with iTunes because of that. I wish I could go back to syncing option where downloaded programs would just add to available slots instead of rearranging all the icons.

6. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I think I saw a check box for that somewhere. You may need to disable it.

I haven't had any problems using iTunes 9. Everything is just as easy to find for me and I never had a problem using the drop down to find the different appstore categories. In fact the game genres are in a good place because they follow the flow of the top ten lists and (to me) that makes them more obvious. The featured list also no longer alienates games past the initial view area because they are easily scrollable.

7. designxtek

Apr 30, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    iTunes 9 is still new so I guess it will take a little while for people to get use to the new interface.

It is a transitioning phase for those who upgrade.