How does someone apply to be a game's voice actor?

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by Link6746, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Link6746

Link6746 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Berserker (RAAAAARRRGH!)
    Saint Joseph's Hospital, Mental Ward (Long Term Gu
    I am asking this question because I mentioned IOS gaming, and the indie market here to my father, who is capable of more voices than anyone else I know. He wants to get involved in the indie scene by offering his voice for (if it is used) a sliding fee scale depending on the profitability of the dev.

At the bottom tier (where most of you will probably be as upstarts), beta access and a free copy of the game. That's how cheap.

I'm thinking of buying my father an Ipad and a microphone so that he can get involved in what I see as the BEST mobile gaming platform for PC gamers. He has said numerous times he wishes to do this, but I have no idea how to get him involved even though he wishes to.

I'm hoping that perhaps when I get him the microphone, it is as simple as sending in samples of his "work". Just be aware he might not be able to work every day due to CoPD affecting him off and on. With him on disability, any chance to make a few extra bucks or get free games will undoubtedly help him, especially if he feels he's earned it.

2. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    hmm, interesting.
    Well, as with any artist trying to demonstrate their work, the best thing to do is assemble a portfolio showing off some existing work, and if there is none, then get some together - match pro-grade as closely as you can, if you want to be involved in such productions. Look at what sort of presence other VAs have online and duplicate their methods of presentation, and then of course spam it out to the usual places. Post in here, hit up devs on twitter. FB, build up an email list of devs (not hard to do), just like everyone else has to do.

Finding work, takes work, in any event. If the stuff is good, it will speak for itself (pun kinda intended). Good luck!

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah, you really just need to build a portfolio and post it online somewhere. Write out a few paragraphs and get him to perform them in various different voices and with different emotions. The more the better, obviously. I saw this website posted a while ago, looks like a good example: http://www.listentomelanie.com/demos.html

Of course advertising is a whole seperate game, but one step at a time :)

4. Link6746

Link6746 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Berserker (RAAAAARRRGH!)
    Saint Joseph's Hospital, Mental Ward (Long Term Gu
    Thanks people- I'm going to have to wait to get my father an ipad/microphone so he can get started, but doubtless he'll be glad to see that you're supportive.

5. ERichards

ERichards New Member

Jul 24, 2011
    It might not be a bad idea to have him read some passages from classic works as well. Voice Acting really isn't that much different from normal acting after all.

Maybe get some famous plays or movie lines, and present them in a few different "characters"?

6. #6 MindJuice, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
    Check out voices.com. It's an online marketplace connecting voiceover talent with companies and people who have work.