My indie dev blog including income reports

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Xaron, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Xaron

Xaron Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    #1 Xaron, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
    Hi all,

I've just started a blog recently and want to share some of my stats of some of my apps. So if you're interested in statistics, just take a look there. I will post the plain numbers here as well..

My game Paint&Conquer has its first month in the markets and the numbers are quite surprising with Windows Phone going through the roof - well at least compared to iOS and Android. The numbers are quite disappointing as it's basically a free app but all in all I made €83,68 mostly from ads (Admob) in february. :)

All in all I had 7897 downloads which is quite low for a free app BUT, 7411 downloads came from Windows Phone (7408 free, 3 paid), 224 from iOS and only 73 from Google Play. 73 downloads for a free app in a month! Not that much, eh...

Cheers!

2. jamescam

jamescam Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Wow, I thought I was reading the chart wrong. As I am coming out with my 1st game in the next 60 days I've toyed around with the idea of launching 1st on Windows to build a base of fans as there doesnt seem to be the same level of competition on the Win platform. Thanks for sharing!

3. Xaron

Xaron Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Thanks! I think it's just a matter of saturation. Even though the Windows store already has a lot of apps the competition is way smaller and the market share of Windows Phones is increasing steadily (atm about 10% already).

But to be honest these numbers are still quite low, I wouldn't take these numbers cautious. Let's see how it develops over the next months and how my next apps will perform. :)

4. boostk

boostk New Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Boston
    Thanks for sharing some really good insight here, windows... was really surprising. Although not huge numbers, its definitely an indication of a less competitive market but with opportunities still present.

5. Wizardo

Wizardo Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Starving indie developer
    New Jersey!
    Thanks for sharing.

We plan on launching on Windows phone after iOS. Our game is not free and I'm curious how that will play out in that store.

I'll share my success or lack-thereof with you guys.

6. simpleinteractive

simpleinteractive Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2013
    London
    Actually I would say the download figures you got for iOS and Android are perfectly normal, perhaps even slightly above average (depending on how much marketing you did). The WP8 figures are astonishing!

7. Xaron

Xaron Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    You want to tell me that 73(!) downloads for a free(!!) game per MONTH are normal? ;)

8. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Probably well above the norm the no marketing.

Loads of apps don't even get downloaded at all.

9. Xaron

Xaron Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Oh thanks for that. I thought that doing a free app which is not crap should at least have some boost in the first days. And no, I did no marketing at all.

10. simplymuzik3

simplymuzik3 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    You should try to find a way to improve your conversion rate. 7408 with 3 paid sales is extremely low. I'm sure you could make a lot more!

11. simpleinteractive

simpleinteractive Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2013
    London
    Yes, 73 in the first month is the most you can expect on Google Play even for a free app (a paid app would get 0 downloads -- guaranteed!).

12. Xaron

Xaron Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Yes, I agree. Maybe the price is too high with $1.99. Dunno. But I was never a fan of this $0.99 category.

Hmm... with my other apps I had quite a few hundred per day in the beginning, no marketing as well.

13. Xaron

Xaron Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Hi all,

here come the numbers for my game Paint&Conquer for march:

Android Downloads: 84
    iOS Downloads: 53 (25 iPhone, 28 iPad)
    Windows Phone 8 Downloads: 387 (yay)

There was exactly one sale for the full version on Android. Looks like someone accidently bought it. :D

Regarding the ad revenue (Admob only) it looks like this:

Android: 0.75€
    iOS: 1.85€ (0.67€ iPhone, 1.18€ iPad)
    Windows Phone 8: 36.44€ (at least!)

All in all this is a whopping revenue of 40.30€. Well… ok.

I will release my next app within the next weeks so there might be still hope! LOL

14. Pixelosis

Pixelosis Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2013
    Your insight is much appreciated. One question: do you develop as a full time job or is it an auxiliary activity?
    In the second case, this is good. In the first, not so much. :D

15. Xaron

Xaron Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    That's just a part time thing, more a hobby atm. I'm employed as software engineer.

16. Xaron

Xaron Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Hi there,

another month passed by and this will be the first one with two reports as I released a kids puzzle recently!
    The numbers are still very low, nothing to get upbeat with it but at least especially the Windows Phone numbers are pretty strong and stable!

Paint & Conquer

Android Downloads: 68 (-16 from last month)
    iOS Downloads: 76 (+23 from last month)
    Windows Phone 8 Downloads: 2,795 (+2,408 from last month)

Again I had exactly one sale - this time from an iPad user, so €1,09.

Regarding the ad revenue (Admob only) it looks like this:

Android: 0.55€ (-0.20€)
    iOS: 2.59€ (+0.74€)
    Windows Phone 8: 52.77€ (+16.33€)

All in all this is a revenue of 57.00€ for April for Paint&Conquer.

Toddler Fun Puzzles

Right, so this is my second app listed here. A funny kids puzzle app for toddlers. I think this one is well put together even though the first numbers are disappointing as well. I still have no numbers for the iOS version because it's still in review and I had to struggle with that new kids section... Hmm... There is a free version (without ads!) plus the full one.

But, this one is now listed in the Amazon and Nook (Barnes&Noble) store as well!

Downloads

Android: 9 (yes nine!)
    iOS: n/a
    Windows Phone 8: 515 (again a strong start!)
    Amazon: 2
    Nook: 1 (there is only the full version there atm!)

Sales

Android: 0
    iOS: n/a
    Windows Phone 8: 2 (2.18€)
    Amazon: 0
    Nook: 1 (1.49€)

All in all this is a revenue of 3.67€ for April for Toddler Fun Puzzles.

Summarized Report

February: 83.68€
    March: 40.30€ (-43.38€)
    April: 60.67€ (+20,37€)

17. ThinkingMonkeyStudio

May 2, 2014
    Wow! those are some wild numbers. Thank you for sharing, best of luck

18. Xaron

Xaron Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Oh and of course you offer that, right? LOL

Nice try dude. ;)

19. optimizemyapps.com

optimizemyapps.com Active Member

Jan 10, 2014
    App Store Optimization Expert
    You don't need to use my service, do it on your own. What I am suggesting is spend time on your keywords. You will see results. Do some independent research, dont take my word for it

20. Xaron

Xaron Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Thanks! I did not want to offend you! Thanks for your tipps. Will think about it. I agree that keywords are very important and up to now I have not spend much time for them.

Obviously I don't need keywords like paint for my Paint&Conquer app, right?