Universal Bug Heroes (by Foursaken Media)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Nekcik, Jan 6, 2011.

1. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    With his cute little Ant.

But, please don't quote big pictures or huge blocks of text.

2. skarsnik

skarsnik Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Singapore
    #482 skarsnik, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
    Some questions

1. Experience: Just wanted to check - if the towers kill the enemy, will the current bug hero earn xp? Do I need to damage the enemy up to a certain threshold to earn xp even if I don't get the "killing" shot with my bug hero?

I find that upgrading the towers (4 x MG maxed) which then shoot down everything seem to slow down my XP earning for my hero.

2. Porta-turret collision
    Is it possible to remove collision detection for the porta-turrets? Right now, enemy's just walk through the turrents but my ant keeps getting stuck in between as I like to stack 2 of them on top of each other. Or better still, keep the collision so I can use them to funnel the enemy down a certain path. :)

3. Damage animation
    Can you share the damage mechanics for the various animations? For example:
    - white vs. orange (is it just melee vs. range?)
    - outlined starburst vs. filled colour starburst

Which is more effective?

Otherwise great game! Am loving every playthrough trying out different strategies to top the leaderboard, while trying to get achievements.

3. gzz82

gzz82 Member

Jun 7, 2010
    awesome game
    i usually make it to 18~19 with spider
    less with the beetle

important changes,
    1. able to equip, unequip skills
    2. some sort of directional pointer for quests (especially coin finding quest)
    3. maybe a mini map during pause?

changes to heroes
    spider: needs some sort of teleport skill (instead of ant since ant already has ant hole n teleportation stun doesnt makes sense for ant. you're trying to use range with ant, not get up close)

ant: maybe more artillery skills since its gun based. it'll be cool to radio in an airstrike of Bee-17 bombers or something.

beetle: too slow. way too slow. sitting duck against mg fleas, especially when there's like 3 of them group together. shd have some sort of shield skill when the beetle brings up the shield infront and limbers on towards target with a +200% resistant or something (instead of the shield bash now)

in terms of dmg, i think beetle is the worse, coz its too slow
    at least spider can kill off centipedes decently, n ants have better base skills
    beetle's dps is too low

4. iJay

iJay Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    #484 iJay, Jan 12, 2011
    please post level

would people please post the level when they say they get to such-and-such round? thanks.

edit: as in Easy, Normal, or Hard.

5. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    1. I would like to find this out too, but I believe your hypothesis is correct.

2. I want this to happen as well.

3. An orange filled star means that the attacked is taking normal damage. A outline means that the enemy is taking reduced damage, and a gray orpine means they are taking very little or no damage.
    Then use perfect English yourself. Also, you try typing put something incredibly long that won't be graded or assessed, and won't reflect on you personally. Then you reload that them writing anything is worthwhile.
    Yes, people have been doing that all thread long. My personal best is 50,000 XP on round 27 with Spider as my top hero.

6. iJay

iJay Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    on what level, as in Easy, Normal, and Hard.

7. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Kitchen on normal is the default and what I set my high score on.

8. iJay

iJay Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    what do you mean by "default"?

9. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    When people say"I have x XP in Bug Heroes!" they're talking about kitchen on normal.

10. iJay

iJay Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    ohh, okay. just curious though, how do you know that? did I miss something in this thread?

11. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Instinct.

Yes, the first 30+ pages...?

12. iJay

iJay Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    okay.

and yes, I have read the whole thread, but I couldn't remember if possibly somebody had outlined what to post when you post your score.

13. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

#493 Foursaken_Media, Jan 12, 2011
    @ skarsnik -- As far as damage goes you were right on the money: orange is simply ranged and white is melee. If you see a spark of any color (the little star type segmented pattern), it means you or that enemy is only taking 1 damage.

And correct again, XP is not given to heroes from turret kills. It used to, but we found it awkward to level up "randomly" while you weren't even attacking anything, then wondering why. Plus, turrets are definitely powerful and we wanted to make sure there was a trade off for heavily relying on your base to kill everything off.

Is there ever a reason you would want to unequip something just to get an empty slot? Currently you can replace equipment at will.

In regards to spider, you might like the new skill coming out in the next update then ;) Ants teleport is more of an escape mechanic since he is so feeble. However, you can use it to teleport on enemies, stun them, switch to another hero, and do what you need to do. There are many times where you actually should be switching heroes very frequently... it is definitely an intricate part of higher level strategy (even simple things like stunning enemies with beetle, switching to spider to pwn).

For beetle, his shield gives him a passive armor bonus. With shield and a few armor level ups, flea gunner teams will be doing only 1 damage to Beetle :eek: Yes he is slower (though you can use adrenaline to partially fix this), but his armor is absolutely hoss vs lower damaging enemies like fleas and ants. With a shield + only 1 point of armor for ex, Beetle will take only 1 damage from fleas and army fleas. Or of course you can use Warrior Gauntlet to become immune to damage for 5 seconds. Stampede is another good way to get you to a specific spot quickly, while doing good damage along the way.

Not sure I understand how Beetle is a sitting duck to 3 fleas though haha... he specializes in AOE damage, so he can swat 3 fleas dead in 2-3 hits while taking minimal damage from their attack. He also has much longer melee range so can effectively stay out of range of many enemies if used correctly. Yes his individual damage is lower, but he can potentially do much more damage bc of his group damage.

14. skarsnik

skarsnik Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Singapore
    Thanks for the confirmation on the no XP from turret kills. Looks like I have to rethink my strategy - 4 x fully upgraded MGs took me to lvl 20 hard office, but my bug heroes were too weak to survive the onslaught.

15. ps49556n

ps49556n Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Yea the no XP from base defense if definitely good to know...

Yesterday's update is great...the crashing problem seems to be eliminated and the retina text looks great. Cannot wait for the next update.

16. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    Death from above?

Have you considered a small squadron of airsupport ( maybe fleas or flys) medium-heavy firepower as a possible update?

17. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    In the beta, Jamie asked if we wanted flies with machine guns to follow us around as an IAP, but they idea was abandoned because it would unbalance the leaderboards.

18. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    Thanks

19. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

I think a toy helicopter with two flys in it, each using a MG wich is located to the side of the chopper would be totally awesome! Maybe one could buy like spechial attacks that cost money and only come once and stay for a certain time? So if one wave is way too hard for you and you just can't get past it you call in a helicopter to help you.

20. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Veeery interesting :) We were actually brainstorming a similar idea for a new map: the Bug Blimp... same idea really. Hmmmm, a Bug Copter could be even better though...