Hire versus outsource?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by pinkandpurple, Jun 2, 2012.

1. pinkandpurple

pinkandpurple Well-Known Member

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    If I hire people as employees then I can get them to do Iphone and Facebook games too right?

But if I hire outsource people then its better to hire as employees to get allsorts done that is if they are experienced in all areas or programming ?

2. shariq

shariq Member

Feb 18, 2012
    First outsource, then hire.

Why? Because it lets you test people for very little money. Often for just a few hours worth of work.

Most people don't know what the heck they're doing. They're just good at appearing as if they've got a handle on things. It'll take a while for you to find the gems.

Once you do - hire them. But only if you've enough work for them to work 8 hours a day and enough income to justify it. Or can start with just part time.

Moreover, most people are good at just one thing. So it'll be dead hard to find someone who is "experienced in all areas or programming".

Find people who're damn good at what they do - and nothing else. Find an iphone developer. He doesn't need to know php or any server side programming. You can find such guys alter on. But this one needs to be the best at developing iphone apps.

3. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    Where

But where do you think to find these programmers which mobile companies in UK seem to be OK in hiring good people?

4. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    Thd thing is I need a Facebook game too as this gets millions of players right?

5. shariq

shariq Member

Feb 18, 2012
    An iphone dev is proficient in objective C. If they code games, they either use cocos, open gl, unity or corona.

Find out what languages are needed to make a fb game. If they overlap - the same dev can code them both. Otherwise you need atleast 2 people.

6. nvx

nvx Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2011
    UK
    Not necessarily
    I am an iPhone developer who is proficient in C, C++, C#, Obj-J and Java, AND I code games

I think you mean "an iPhone developer of view-based apps should be primarily proficient in objective C"

But I agree, the OP is unlikely to find a single individual capable of developing for both 'platforms'.
    I dont believe TA is the right forum to be looking for facebook game developers to begin with

7. Jason Stark

Jason Stark Active Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Games Developer
    Noosa, Australia
    Regardless of hiring or out-sourcing, the most critical thing is getting the right people. Talented, hard-working people that "click" with your vision are very rare. Be prepared to go through money finding them.

And once you find good people - treat them well and do everything you can to keep them.

8. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    Company

Can you sell a company with just outsourcing?

9. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    I

OMGPOP sold the company for a billion dollars, however, they had 12 employees and some other games and so, If I outsource and got millions of players for my 3 games then would Ihave same chance as individual to sell if offerd a sale from just outsourcing ?

10. If you want to make iPhone games with the primary intention of creating a company and selling it then you are going to be in for a long tough journey. Concentrate on making some brilliant world class games, either by hiring staff or with freelancers, and don't start out by thinking I want to sell the company and make millions.

What budget do you have? Do you have enough to pay someone full-time or would you be better putting aside a budget to pay a freelance to work 2-3 months and see how things go. Like someone else said, you could use freelancers for your first project and then if it's successful use the profits to expand your company with your first full-time staff.

A few other things to consider, do you have an office? I'm assuming full-time staff would want to work onsite with you and be given computers etc... Freelance programmers will often (but not always) be able to work onsite or remotely and should have all their own equipment.

I work as a freelance programmer (doing iOS and console dev) having worked at a number of top UK game developers. If you did want to go down the freelance route then feel free to drop me a PM and I'll try and offer some advice or see if I'm suitable for your needs.

Whatever you decide, good luck with it!

James

11. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    Free

Are you telling me most people employed by OMGPOP etc are freelancers?

12. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    I don't get where you could come to that conclusion with what he said. What he said was: Don't worry about selling your company for millions before you even start. It likely won't happen, and if it miraculously does, the number of full time employees you maintain matters little.

13. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

My 2 cents...hiring employees can be a mess, and expensive. At least here in the US, you have unemployment insurance, social security. You have to be able to cover workers comp claims.

Disgruntled (and not so disgruntled) employees have a nasty habit of suing their previous employer. Many of these lawsuits are frivolous, yet will still cost the employer money to fight. Some of these include claims that an employer didn't offer 15 minute breaks throughout the day, or denied the employee a lunch break. It can be total bullshit, but it hapens all the time just the same, and costs just as much to fight.

Hiring contractors has its own problems too, but, in my experience, hiring employees is more costly than hiring contractors/outsourcing. I have a family member who owns a business. He has been sued 3 times this year - one was an ex contractor and the other two were ex employees. Only one of these lawsuits has any real merit to it at all, and not much. He even loaned one of these people money for rent during a tough period while they were still employed, and this person is still suing him. One guy is claiming no lunch breaks, even though he spent half his day outside smoking pot during work.

Obviously if you have a large business it will be necessary to hire employees (I guess), but for me, I will avoid it as long as I can.

14. Nullroar

Nullroar Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Software Rep, Rhyme Guru, Game Editor
    Munich
    That, pretty much. [Best of luck on Run Fatty Run, Jason].

I'd start with outsourcing and then offer the folks who excel paid positions to keep them from getting scooped up by other employers.

15. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    UK

I have someone uin mind but they are in CHina
    I am in UK