Drop7 addiction (yes, still)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by headcaseGames, Jun 4, 2010.

1. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    I have been playing this game for... I don't know how long (9 months, at least?) and I still can't get enough of it. It feels like the perfect iPhone game in so many ways.

Who else can't get enough of Drop7 - and more importantly, what other games can you recommend that are this same level of stupid-simple and unbelievably habit-forming? I know there's a game that ripped it off and added another number or two in there, can't recall the name of it though (any help?)

Go on.. make me regret posting this.... :)

2. ImaRetroMan

ImaRetroMan Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    La Puente, CA
    Ummmm the only one that popped up in my head was Super 7 or something like that. :)

3. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Drop7 is THE best game in the app store.

And I think the game that you're talking about is called Number 9 or 7? I don't know. I recommend Dropsum to all Drop7 lovers and vice-versa.

4. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Tilt to Live is on par.

5. headcaseGames

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    Tilt to Live is indeed a great game, but totally different as far as pace and style. Drop7 you can just sit there and breeze thru or take it slow, depending on your pace. I guess I am thinking more in those kinda terms.

Folks should also checkout DropZap and they will see some familiar elements :)

6. tonydeli7

tonydeli7 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Freelance Computer Engineer
    Greece
    I prefer Chainlink Pro&Tilt To Live...but Drop7 is also good..

7. jyhjyh

jyhjyh Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Denmark
  8. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    i still play and love it. in fact, i had only played and loved the demo until less than a month ago when i bought the full version (noooo, why didn't i get it when it was a dollar!!!).

honestly, i think i like the demo more...unfortunately, it's not in the app store anymore. the demo didn't have the delays related to leaderboards, it didn't have the false pretense that there are multiple gameplay modes, and it didn't cost a dime! the only thing i don't like about the demo is that it gives you a game over around level 10.

the thing is (in the full version), the normal mode's initial rounds last too long, and the hard mode's aren't long enough. and the sequence mode is pretty dumb. in the demo, the round is just long enough for my typical train rides.

so i kept the demo on my phone because it's more fun for me. i don't really regret buying the full version since the dev. deserves it, but maybe if i knew the modes weren't actually different ways to play, i wouldn't have bought it. it would also be nice to see some sort of updates (like disabling high score posting).

9. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    My girlfriend used to play Drop7 all the time the other month. I'd recommend Chain Link Pro and Sigma.

10. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    I would vote Chain Link Pro too. But an oldie but goodie that I keep playing is Monkeys in Space. Other oldies are Orbital and Geo Spark. (all have that errr I lost now I must play another game phenomenon)

Newbies that haven't passed the test of time yet but definitely show great potential are Leap Sheep, Robot Unicorn, Ninjatown Trees of Doom, Spinzizzle, and Finger vs Finger.

Making these recommendations obviously not because they are similar to Drop7 but because to me they fit your request for "stupid-simple and unbelievably habit-forming."

11. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    I tried drop7 like 10 games or so, and it just sort of fell of my radar screen. The problem I had with it was that I didnt feel like I was really learning to get better. Much of the strategy of it remained mysterious.

12. putermcgee

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    for me, i felt like i naturally got better the more i played. i started out really terrible, and while i'm no where near the leaderboard scores, i think i'm a decent player. on the other hand, when a game has dummy blocks that you can't do plan for, it makes it hard to get too strategic. i mean, what do you do when it gives you a bunch of dummy blocks in a row and you've got nowhere to drop them?

13. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    That's not true in the "sequence" mode; the drops are all in the same repeated order in that one.

I think this is a great thread, Drop7 is just awesome and it's one of the things I have played the most since I only just discovered it a few weeks ago.

Since then I went and picked up Tetris which I hadn't played for some time, and I do really like the port, although it's not perfect and seems a bit outdated without online leaderboards.

Someone else mentioned Sigma, which is a good new game that has maybe a similar motive when you play to it as Drop7, and another like it that I really love is Unify.

For me nothing really beats Drop7 though, for a casual number puzzler. Domino Dice is amazing and can be played in a somewhat casual way, but it's still not as casual as Drop7, although I do think Drop7 can be played in a very hardcore manner, especially if you're trying to overtake the leaderboards in the sequence mode.

I'm going to check out some of the games mentioned in here however. Again, great thread headcasegames.

14. headcaseGames

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    I know that tons of people love Unify, and I wanted to as well - in fact I leapt on it immediately when it released. Unfortunately, I played it like 2 or 3 times and it never got satisfying for me. The combination of the art style, having to keep track of both sides of the screen at once, and the overall pace of the game - somehow it just never gelled. But so many people love this game that I am gona just chalk it up as being me..

Tetris is alright on iPhone, obviously it's (still) hugely popular and I have had a bit of fun with it, but it's the usual complaint - it's no match for having the tactile feedback of a controller, so necessary in that particular game. Honestly there could be a few ways to mine the gameplay of Tetris and present it with a completely different control mechanism more fitting for a touchscreen, but I've not seen it yet.

I hope we don't see "good" puzzle games on iPhone dry up in lieu of all the fancier-tech apps coming down the pipe nowadays - those may look better, but the device is still so perfectly designed for crazy little pick-me-up "short burst" games.

15. headcaseGames

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    Also with the other Drop7 conversation.. I played the demo as well and found it satisfying, but after playing the hardcore mode in the full game I've never looked back - it's just so perfectly balanced (well, close enough). I played the normal game for a few sessions, and they were kinda fun, but nowhere near as good as how instantly-gratifying the shorter Hardcore mode can be. Never even tried the sequence mode :/

16. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    There were 2 games that were similar to this - one was Drop2, and the other was Number7. It does not look like either is currently available in the App Store. Number 7 actually adds some nice powerups and some much needed customization to the Drop 7 game, and supposedly was to be the sequel to Drop 7 but was put out by Powerise (I think). Still did not accomplish the same play that Drop 7 did / does...

17. tangerine

tangerine Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Drop 7 is the best game ever. I still play it regularly and really enjoy it.

18. putermcgee

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    i guess my problem with this mode is that it goes on for so long that you've gotta be a mental case to memorize the sequence and come up with a high scoring strategy.

it may go against the game's name, but it might be fun to have different sized grids (like making the game drop5 with a 5x5 grid).

i got unify when it was free, and while i don't play it all the time, i do think it's a lot of fun. i almost feel sorry for those who are colorblind because they can't enjoy the game.

sigma's on my wishlist on appshopper, and while i know i should just get it now, i feel like i've got enough games to play through at the moment. i'm trying to not buy games when i have some that i have barely played still. EDIT: ah hell, i gave in. you win this time, impulsive behavior!

19. headcaseGames

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    yeah, developing for colorblind is actually a pretty big issue, and I am surprised it gets ignore so much. i never gave it too much thought either until our programmer insisted that we put a high priority on it for our game, and even then it was a bit of work to figure it out. In the end I think the changes we made were for the better, and made the game more easily readable for "color-sighted" people as well, without negatively affected the aesthetic in any way.

sigma looks cool, I will see if there's a bit of response to it.. it just released, yeah?

20. putermcgee

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    yeah, it just came out. i really like it so far, and got through the easy mode and then almost through the next hardest. also, there is a colorblind option in this game.