Help me decide between Record of Agarest War and Record of Agarest War Zero, please?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Joe Koch, Sep 13, 2016.

1. They both look really cool, but if I'm being honest I only have time to play one of them. Zero is a prequel, correct? Has anyone here played both of them and can give me a comparison or some more info? Thanks. Also, how does iAP work in them?

2. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    #2 Dailon80, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    Played them both I would go zero first
    Iap is there but totally not necessary
    I never needed it just played it normal way :)
    I would start zero and see how you like it
    Something like FF Tactics but also diff too
    Good game and thanks for the post since I got A new phone a couple weeks ago I forgot about these gotta get them back on my device! Both run a little over 2GB after install and I believe zero is larger

3. Thanks for the reply. How many hours could I expect out of Zero?

4. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    #4 Dailon80, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    We are talking final fantasy long depends but the average is around 90 hours! I haven't made it that far would like to though
    The iap is for like extra costumes and cosmetic stuff that's all really but the price is pretty fair to begin with it's a port of a PS game with huge hours of play time.i would get zero first because it's the prequel and if you like it you will like the other one. Oh and it also has a 29 page game manual included you can access from main menu which is nice and it does open with a tutorial so you know what to do etc
    Also keep in mind tutorial is about 25-30 mins long not a biggie when you're talking a 90 hour game and it does do a good job explaining things
    So when you go to start make sure you have that much time free cuz your first chance to save isn't until about 30 mins in after that all good but something to keep in mind
    I love this game it's a great SRPG

5. Mariko

Mariko Well-Known Member

May 19, 2016
    Yeah, the Agarest games are fantastic tactical RPGs. But, no way in hell should they EVER used as someone's introduction to the genre. They are VERY detailed, long, and challenging games. And are definitely worth playing. But, only after one has had more experience from having played some other not quite so in depth of the type. If someone starts off with them, as deep and challenging as they are, it will probably sour them on the genre. Which is a shame, as there are some great tactical RPGs out there.

6. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    You are correct
    no cake walk by any means!

7. I've been playing SRPGs since Military Madness and put over 2k hours into Front Mission 3, so I think I'll be fine. I also have a FFT save kicking around somewhere with a level 99 Cloud... as a mime.

Anyway, dudes on GFAQS are saying it's a glorified waifu simulator:
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/946850-ios-iphone-ipad/74285575
    Any truth to that? And are there any non-cosmetic iAP options to buff your squad?

8. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    The Waifu is very strong with those games (they're made by Compile Heart, after all, who went on to do the Neptunia series), but I don't think they're intolerable. But yeah, courtship is a big part of the games, especially the first, so expect some anime shenanigans.

Beyond that, they are mechanically rich tactical games, though as usual for Compile Heart, things fall apart here and there. Difficulty balancing is all over the place, and you have got to get on with crafting systems and such.

9. Crap. I'm not much for crafting or inventory management.