Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 01-27-2014, 12:38 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjft View Post
On the Kingturn ones, which one would you recommend for me to start on?

Thanks!
May as well start with Kingturn as it's the first. I think I actually enjoyed Underworld the most though nd you can enjoy it without having played the first two.

I can say that KOTOR is no big battery drain for me at least on iPhone 5S. I imagine that FFT would be light also though I've not tested it (it's in the backlog unplayed as yet on IOS).
Old 01-27-2014, 12:43 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Thanks for the pointer, and also for the battery heads up on KOTOR.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:54 PM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), OS 4.x

Shadow run reminds me a lot of the old Fallout games from PC except its not open world. You go from area to area doing missions. It's fun but not AS fun (IMHO) as BG2EE. I'd rank the games as follows but again this is just my preference:

- BG2EE
- XCOM
- Shadowrun
- BGEE
- FFT
- Avernum

:-)
Old 01-27-2014, 08:07 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

My kind of list! I own everyone of those as well as every game mentioned in the thread as well so hopefully I can help!

I'd suggest Xcom, KotOR (since it was mentioned) and Baldur's Gate on the short list. I'd love to throw Final Fantasy Tactics on there but the lack of porting it over with any consideration given to touch interface really makes the game feel more cumbersome to play to me than it needs to be (some claim that about BGEE but I find it far less cumbersome than others). Shadow run would also be a worthy nod as well but it is nt without some issues such as crashes and many complain about the lack of a save anywhere system due to the games rather spread out checkpoint save system.

I also love the Spiderweb developed games such as Avadon and Avernum and would highly recommend getting around to them but they can so we hat feel almalgamous once you've played a couple.

All are worth the consideration though and you have excellent taste in meaty games!
Old 01-28-2014, 08:28 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Wow, some interesting takes here on the ordering of the games. BG2EE is not on my list at the moment, since I would hate myself for having bought BGEE at full price and not playing it, and then buying BG2EE at full price again (and potentially not playing it again!) Still, thanks for the list aikavari!

Sad to hear that you didn't find the touch controls especially interesting on FFT on the iPad :| That is one of my main concerns, and if they are clunky I might end up dropping it... My problem with BGEE at the time was that I really found the mechanics too opaque sometimes (especially the stats, and all the countless menus, as well as the combat controls). I know it does take some time investment to get into it, and I have not given up on it.

I would love to go for Shadowrun as well - since I have the 10h flight to go, and a week later the 10h flight back, I could actually aim to finish Shadowrun in those 2 flights. The save system _should not_ be a problem, given the flight scenarios, though yes, that is one of my main concerns with that game, together with the crashes and potentially running into situations where I can't progress further, from reading the thread.

I definitely love the Spiderweb games, but given the time I spent with Avadon until now, I'm thinking of taking a breather before taking on Avadon 2 when it's released in a month's time.

Actually, a comment on Avadon: I've done all the main quests so far, the last one I did was the Titan keep, and I've done the Shaman (Jenell?) and the Knight's (Sevelin) personal quests as well. I'm not doing the Mage personal quest (I am terrible with their names, sorry).

I know RedBeard wants to see me. Should I expect the game to be close to finishing...?

I know this all sounds vague, but I don't seem to find a walkthrough where I can just do a status check of what I'm still missing, or how far I still have to go.

I'm considering getting some free space on my device and installing KOTOR, though I do have a pretty packed device by now - all of these games are installed there, except for Avernum (which is the smaller one, really :P). Almost no media at all (just 800 mb for music, and 1.5GB for books and reading materials), other than that just apps on my 32GB iPad...

Should I change BGEE for KOTOR?

Thanks all for the continued thoughts here.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:30 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

I would 100% say to switch out BGEE for KotOR. I love KotOR, and IMO found it much better than BGEE.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:45 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Ok, I'll look into doing that
Old 01-28-2014, 12:26 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Pretty much all those games will require a good time investment to really get into, but I'd say XCOM is the least 'hardcore' out of the bunch, so if you don't have too much time to dedicate to researching a game, that might be your best option. It is a wonderful game.

edit: KOTOR is also excellent
Old 01-29-2014, 04:35 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Thanks PrayForDeath.

I cleared some space on my iPad and managed to install KOTOR as well, so now I have my iPad with all these games. I'm sure I'll have a great flight, and I can just try them for a bit and make up my mind as I go on.

Also, thanks bigred447uk for reminding me of Kingturn. I played it a bit yesterday on my phone, and it is indeed quite fun. Looking forward to spending some time with it as well.

A brief summary of this thread:

1. You have 5 big games in your shortlist
2. You as TouchArcade members which one to play
3. You now have 6 big games in your shortlist

Thanks everyone!