Gameboy Styled Games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by retr0spective, Jan 6, 2013.

1. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    #1 retr0spective, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    Greetings,

I would like to discover more iOS games inspired by or designed to emulate the old Gameboy titles. The following are some that I am aware of. Please let me know if you are aware of any others. Just to be clear, I am looking for monochrome amber, grayscale, or black & white pixel art games only, not retro games in general. (Note: The occasional use of color highlights is acceptable for this list provided that the distinctive feature of the game is monochrome pixelated art.) Thanks!

[​IMG]
    1-Bit Rogue by Kan Kikuchi Thread

[​IMG]
    2-Bit Cowboy by Crescent Moon Games Review

Sequel: Rides Again

[​IMG]
    8bit doves by Nitrome Review

Sequel: Endless Doves

[​IMG]
    A Little Turbulence by With, LLC Thread

[​IMG]
    Blockboy by EO Games Review

[​IMG]
    Canabalt by Semi Secret Software, LLC Review

[​IMG]
    Downwell by Devolver Digital Review

[​IMG] Ending by Aaron Steed Review

[​IMG]
    Game Stew Studio

TOF1|TOF2|Eclipse|Shard|Legacy|Shield|Colossus

[​IMG]
    Hatchi by Portable Pixels Thread

[​IMG]
    Into the Dim by Happymagenta Thread

[​IMG]
    Jack B. Nimble by Sean Noonan Thread

[​IMG]
    Jack N' Jill by Rohan Narang
    Thread

[​IMG]
    Magic Mansion by Nitrome Thread

[​IMG]
    SlimeRoom by Mitsuhiro Okada Review

[​IMG]
    Spout by Triple Trip Studio Appshopper

[​IMG]
    Stardash by OrangePixel Review

[​IMG]
    Timing Hero by Buff Studio Thread

[​IMG]
    Tiny Dangerous Dungeons by Jussi Simpanen Thread

[​IMG]
    To the Throne by Raredrop Games Thread

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Game guy is a great old skool GB platformer

3. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Sorry, I gotta bust out the appinfo since I'm not sure how to insert images (that aren't hotlinked and destined to vanish).

War of Eclipse

Game Stew
    People say - Another great game from Game Stew - by DarkDjango - An excellent follow-up to the quirky Tower of Fortune -…
    $0.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    People say - Another great game from Game Stew - by DarkDjango - An excellent follow-up to the quirky Tower of Fortune - by Retr0spective - Fantastically retro - by Stumpyjay - Great minimalist pixel art. Sharp looking game - by ForestRayColson - Gonna buy tower of fortune just because its from the same guys!!!! - by Droskie - Hard as heck but wonderful! - by Admiral Snackbar - Just as fun as Tower of Fortune! And just as addicting! - by Juliet M - Original and fun - by 4ppleseed - The gameplay is much deeper than what you see on the surface. Can't stop playing!! - by MilkcanRocks - Very charming and elegant - by Ponder_Rosa Review - War of Eclipse is great - by 148Apps, 4/5 - ... a near perfect balance between casual distraction and hardcore game - by AppsHappens Appstore Customer Ratings Average rating for all versions: 4.5/5 ----------------------------------------------------------- War of Eclipse is a retro style game that combines timing action, role playing, and adventure elements. You play as a captain who crashed in a battle but is saved by human survivors. As the fight against the aliens wages on you will unveil the truth about the war for the human world. Features - One button gameplay that is easy to learn and play - Retro style pixel graphics with detailed 8 bit art - Challenge high scores in survival mode and see your ranking in the world - Detailed tutorial and tips that are available at any time - 7 air battleships to build and customize, including one ultimate battleship - 7 endings to discover, see the story and experience the possibilities from different angle - 35 enemy types to fight; they will shoot, charge, and ambush you, and also bomb your base - Collect lost data that unveils the history behind the aliens and human world - Random equipment includes: 20 kinds of parts combine with 50 kinds of abilities and 10 LV upgrade - Different challenges during the battle, such as avoiding an ambush, battling in a lightning storm, and destroying the falling boss enemies before atmospheric friction burned you - 20 achievements to conquer! ----------------------------------------------------------- Facebook http://www.facebook.com/WarofEclipse Gameplay Video http://youtu.be/urCha_Bqdzg
    Information
    Seller:Game Stew
    Genre:Action, Adventure
    Release:Nov 09, 2012
    Updated:Jan 25, 2024
    Version:1.1.8
    Size:15.6 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (13)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

4. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale

Tower of Fortune

Game Stew
    ===== Tower of Fortune is being chosen one of the "Best iPhone and iPad Games of 2012: Arcade" by Toucharcade ===== Peo…
    TouchArcade Rating:
    $1.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    ===== Tower of Fortune is being chosen one of the "Best iPhone and iPad Games of 2012: Arcade" by Toucharcade ===== People say - A surprise gem of RPG - by Missattha - Excellent Slot/RPG game with unique art and addicting gameplay - by BazookaTime - Fun, Addictive and stylish - by Anne Packrat - Classic retro game - by Shaolean - Terrific RPG hybrid - by Retr0spective - Amazingly addictive - by Won'tgetfooledagainson - Old school with a twist - by Ricepirate Mick Lauer - I'm hooked - by Monster Party - Deeply engrossing game - by David Magallon - Highly enjoyable - by Pyong Review - A Reel Good Time For RPG Fans - by Toucharcade, 4/5 - ... it's a hard game to put down once you've mastered its secrets - by AppSpy, 4/5 - ... it's just really freaking addicting and clever - by 148Apps, 4/5 Appstore Customer Ratings Average rating for all versions: 4.5/5 ----------------------------------------------------------- Tower of Fortune is a retro-style slot machine/RPG. You play as a retired hero and lived with daughter peacefully. Until one day, an unknown power from the mystic tower took her away. This force the hero to draw the sword again and fight for his daughter. Features - One button gameplay, easy to learn and no tutorial needed - Retro pixel graphics and funny animation - RPG mechanics such as combat, powerful equipment from defeated boss, level up and skill upgrade system, hero transform and much more... - 4 slot machine game: Combat in the tower, Treasure in the chest, Fight the scum family, and Rest in the tavern - Customize your camp with various options such as dungeon scene, cauldron and mystic mascot - 39 kind of enemies want to stop you to find the truth - 37 powerful equipment from the ancient god to collect - 39 random combat quest and 12 random tavern quest to challenge - 3 different game ending to discover - Endless spin and fun! ----------------------------------------------------------- Facebook http://www.facebook.com/TowerofFortune Gameplay Movie http://youtu.be/eFcrbURiJrI
    Information
    Seller:Game Stew
    Genre:Adventure, Role Playing
    Release:Apr 28, 2012
    Updated:Jan 26, 2024
    Version:2.0.11
    Size:15.9 MB
    User Rating: (21)

5. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale

Evil Robot

A new gameplay for the Classic "Falling Blocks" game.
    Move the falling blocks to form lines without gaps.<…
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    A new gameplay for the Classic "Falling Blocks" game.
    Move the falling blocks to form lines without gaps.
    Push 3 alike blocks together to earn coins or extra lives

Play a challenging 100 lines to reach the Evil Robot Boss whose captured your Girlfriend.

**Fantastic retro graphics
    **Revolutionary new way to play the "Falling Blocks" game
    **Challenge your friend with the high-score
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Action, Arcade
    Release:Jan 04, 2013
    Updated:Nov 30, -0001
    Version:
    Size:0.0
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (3)

6. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Pygmies Hoglet (though there is now a color version also)

7. retr0spective

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Thank you so much for the Evil Robot link, the AppShopper link led me to a "Not available in US App Store" message. Can you work similar magic for Pixelmania?

8. retr0spective

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    I absolutely love the color version of this. I thought about listing the original but it is straight black-and-white - but I suppose it deserves an honorable mention.

9. retr0spective

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Agreed. I was trying to remember the name of this one.

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    That's because Pixelmania's been pulled and the Evil Robot you tried to get has also been pulled. It was just re-released under a different account.

11. retr0spective

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    I just noticed that as well, and it was re-released on the 5th no less. It makes me wonder if the dev is watching.

12. retr0spective

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    I added everyone's recommendations and a few others to my original post.

13. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Ya know...crap. iTunes 11 or whatever it is no longer lets me update from an app's page within the store. I knew I had updated it on my iPhone, so I dl'ed it despite it showing a price (which has been happening often since switching to the "new, improved" itunes.

So...I just bought a game I already owned due to a change in management? **** this sort of bull is driving me insane. Apple needs to get their **** together.

Sorry for the rant.

14. retr0spective

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    I just remembered Impulse by Matthias Falk and added it to the list.

15. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Any of them free? I got hatchi TOF and their other game.

16. retr0spective

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Hatchi is back up to .99 but I am not sure about the others.

... Does anyone know of any Gameboy styled puzzle games like Pixelmania (that I missed out on) or the original - beautiful - Gameboy Tetris?

17. evilrobot

evilrobot New Member

Jan 16, 2013
    link to Evil Robot...

Here's the link to Evil Robot... i'm the developer

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/evil-robot/id585259224?mt=8

a couple of promo codes for this version… enjoy :)
    XP7JKE47MXW3
    MFJ9REH7LHNL

18. evilrobot

evilrobot New Member

Jan 16, 2013
    link to Evil Robot...

link to Evil Robot...
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/evil-robot/id585259224?mt=8
    some codes... enjoy :)
    RE3PYL93H6XW
    E7RFT9FAKTNR

19. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
  20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    No mutant mudds is more like a NES game. Gameboy games are really monochrome