April Fools upcoming threads - are they a no-no?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by JBRUU, Apr 2, 2013.

1. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    As I'm sure some of you know, earlier today I posted in the upcoming forum about a GTA SA being in the works, but then in the first post let everyone know it was an April 1 joke. Some took it the wrong way: one member rather irately informed me that I committed a ban-able offense. Obviously that didn't happen, fortunately. Just want to know for the future: are threads like that ok on April 1? If not my apologies; it was sincerely meant in good fun.

2. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Has your thread/post been deleted by mods or admin? If so, that would give a pretty good assumption on what direction TA thoughts are on it.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    As April 1st was about to end i noticed one mod deleted the GTA San Andreas thread so i did the same to Zombie Airship

I thought it was harmless fun to be honest, its April 1st, you get joke stories on lots of sites (I'm a big NFL fan so i spotted a fair few on various sites). I'm surprised people get SO upset by it, probably more so as they didnt realise (duhhhh) what day it was !

Its only once a year, i personally thought it was amusing

4. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    This is what I don't understand either. Hell, large corporations like Google and YouTube pulled out tricks from their sleeves. People get worked up over the stupidest reasons.

5. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    It's fine if its a funny article about a larger than life subject. But when it's a perfectly feasible thing such as another GTA coming out, it's just unintelligent irritation.

It's like asking if you'd rather year a Christmas cracker joke or a stand-up comedian joke. No one wants the dummies version!

6. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    But are you honestly going to take anything seriously on April 1? Come on. The whole point of that thread was to get you to think, "oh boy, I'm so pumped!" and click on it and go, "Goshdarnit I should've known better".

Plus it's one day out of the year. If this was any other date than April 1 I'd tend to agree with you.

Not at first. One of them saw it (I know because a rude post was deleted) and didn't close the thread, but when two other members started to get irritated, and then two other members jumped in to my defense, that was when it was deleted.

That was my reasoning.

7. Making April Fools' jokes is some serious business.

8. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    Ok or not it's April freaking fools. Deal with it.

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    This is pretty much my stance. Whether you like it or hate it, you gotta suck it up. There's no rule or right that protects you from falling for pranks on April 1st.

...provided the prank itself is within laws and rights, obviously.

10. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    So is any moderator or admin going to tell me yes/no that thread was/wasn't against the rules?

11. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    What happens to your prank thread on April 2nd? Does it stay alive or is it deleted? What happens then when someone visits this forum on April 3rd and sees the prank thread and thinks it is real because it is no longer April Fools Day?

I belong to the group who is grumpily trying to sort out real news from fake in my RSS feeds these few days, and no, ignoring it for one day on April 1, won't work as the unread RSS posts are all mixed up in there...

12. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    The thread was deleted on April 2nd.

13. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Ah I see. Thanks.