Universal Arcade Physics Survival Game: Splash Damage (Also Promo Codes)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by kinshuksunil, May 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

What Apple devices will you be using in November?

1. iPhone 5/5s

50.0%
  2. iPhone 6/6+

20.8%
  3. iPad with Retina

12.5%
  4. iPad Air

12.5%
  5. iPad Mini Retina

8.3%
  6. Older Devices

16.7%
  1. kinshuksunil

kinshuksunil Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Male
    Makes Games at Hashstash
    India
    #1 kinshuksunil, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
    Hello People

I would like to introduce our next game to you. Its called Splash Damage, and its an arcade, physics-based, survival game.

The objective of the game is to survive for as long as possible (by not drowning in the two pools of liquid on the screen). This is complicated by the fact that the platforms keep bringing up some blue liquid, while the red one keeps oozing.

Consuming blue liquid makes you heavier, consuming red will make you lighter.

What is the status of the game
    The game is in active development and the build that you see here is only a week old. Everything is in very early stages and the game will feel difficult and not polished. We are working on that, but we are also sharing it here because we want to develop the game along with our players.

Nothing has been done about the art in the game yet. In the final version, the liquids will look like liquids and behave exactly like them. Also the player will not be just a green square. There will be a character and sufficient visual feedback.

We also plan to have lots of customizable power ups in the game.

We are giving away 20 promo codes below, which are for version 0.3 of the game. We have just submitted the version 0.4 on the store to get it reviewed and have further promo codes.

Promo Codes

Update: since these all are used, 10 new codes posted at the end. More will follow, in time.

JKT7JWMLRARY
    4HA6WTNJFWFF
    HT7HLNFXJPFX
    W3FWKT9W4HEM
    3YE4F96NJLJE
    ENYHJYPKFETJ
    7EMFPE3KLJLA
    MWFAE9PTLYJP
    YFJPHENFT3HL
    4N3PTH7NENK6
    E47PHMLJ7Y7A
    6LAAR36LMWYL
    WNNMW6L79LKF
    KTMAYRAJ74AH
    KPKHFL3APX33
    6J9JXKP4M446
    KHJEXAXA7AY7
    EKFTR3PJJH7E
    7THP4RLNNY3R
    RF939AEN799K

Changes in upcoming version
    We have just submitted an update of the game on the store for review. Version 0.4 includes Game Center (so that we can log scores) and improvements to player movements.

About Input
    In the final version, the game will have three controls schemes:
    1. Gyroscope-based Tilt controls (not implemented yet)
    2. Touch-based Tap to move controls (implemented but not perfected yet)
    3. Swipe-based Horizontal Movement (not implemented)

To move in the current builds, you need to tap on the left and right edges of the screen. Tap and hold to move longer, but don't swipe.

Screenshots
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#2 Bronxsta, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2014
    Redeemed JKT7JWMLRARY, thanks

3. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#3 Bronxsta, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2014
    Played a few rounds:

- I kind of like the little green square. Gives the game a nice minimalist/abstract style

- I think it's confusing to figure out how much of one liquid you need to balance out the other or how light/heavy you are at the moment. I think the current visual indication is not clear enough.

One suggestion could be for your cube/character to be transparent and you could see how much red or blue liquid is inside. This would make your current state very visually clear and could look cool visually with the liquids sloshing and shifting inside as you move

- Are there more hazards/obstacles planned or will the core gameplay simply be dropping from platforms and managing your liquid intake? Stuff like spikes, saws, lasers, etc. could add a more deliberate focus to the gameplay, as you'd also have to decide which platforms to land on and when to fall and maybe change your density to not be destroyed by lasers. Stuff like that

But I understand if you want this to be a pure simple experience

- Controls feels solid and responsive. I like the look of the title screen and the quotes are an interesting touch

Interested to see how this game progresses

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Redeemed 7EMFPE3KLJLA.

5. kinshuksunil

Feb 24, 2013
    Male
    Makes Games at Hashstash
    India
    We are still trying to figure out the best possible visual feedback for character weight. We are right now changing the color of the character, but eventually we might play with the shape of the character.

The character will get some expressions and life as well.

While the idea of showing the liquid inside the character is pretty cool, we are already doing way too many particles physics.. and it will only get complicated when we start doing shaders for all the visual effects. We'd like to keep these to a minimum so that we may support many devices.

We have been thinking about Hazards and Obstacles, but we dont have a very clear decision yet.

We have a lot of work pending on the UX. We will have a profile section where you will have a lot of statistics, with which you can challenge your friends.

We'd like this game to be simple to pick up but it should constantly engage and challenge the player in it's life cycle.

6. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    EKFTR3PJJH7E redeemed ^^ I'll try it and post a small review

7. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Ok I just played it and unfortunately it isn't the kind of games I am good at so I can't really write a good review, sorry about that. The game is fun and the game play is good, the difficulty is pretty high tho, so for someone like me (with the genre), it's pretty frustrating, but that's good as if the game was too easy, it wouldn't be fun.

8. kinshuksunil

Feb 24, 2013
    Male
    Makes Games at Hashstash
    India
    The games feels difficult because we are still working on the progression a lot. There is absolutely no logic written yet to control the difficulty curve in the game. In coming updates we will have those in place as well, and that will help in having a contiguous experience.

We showcased the game recently at Casual Connect Asia 2014 in Singapore and a lot of players found it addictively hard.. some compared its difficulty to Flappy Birds (not sure if that is a good thing :p)

9. Lumlca

Lumlca Active Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Redeemed E47PHMLJ7Y7A . Thanks!

10. Nina_S

Nina_S Member

Mar 25, 2014
    This looks like an interesting game.
    Will be redeeming this promocode -KPKHFL3APX33

11. kinshuksunil

Feb 24, 2013
    Male
    Makes Games at Hashstash
    India
    We look forward to hear your opinion on how it plays :)

12. kinshuksunil

Feb 24, 2013
    Male
    Makes Games at Hashstash
    India
  13. kinshuksunil

Feb 24, 2013
    Male
    Makes Games at Hashstash
    India
    #13 kinshuksunil, May 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
    Since all the previous codes are used, here are 10 more.

9JHTJ9PJH47A
    A9JYPRRNJTYK
    HYJTYY77L7XP
    E3J4399FWYPE
    XJ3FKYAF79PN
    PMYHHJ3LEMNP
    XRXTENKTLEJL
    NFNYXKP7ET4M
    74YT77W439RW
    ERL3J6YFA994

Do leave a comment when you redeem any, so that I can strike them out here

14. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Thank you
    XRXTENKTLEJL

15. Gamigo78

Gamigo78 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2011
    Thanks, used this one: 74YT77W439RW

16. HYJTYY77L7XP

There's no way you can't make it full screen on ipads?

17. kinshuksunil

Feb 24, 2013
    Male
    Makes Games at Hashstash
    India
    Since the game is in active development right now, the first thing for us was to quickly ensure that the game plays exactly the same on iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad. That is why the letter boxing happens on the iPad right now. That ensures that the physics simulation remain the same, otherwise the game becomes much easier on the iPad.

Having said that, it is only a temporary solution. As we start working on the art and UX, we will re-approach this problem and solve it wholistically. But, yes, that will take some time.

18. MechMohit

MechMohit New Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Co-Founder, Mech Mocha
    India
    Used this promo code:
    NFNYXKP7ET4M

19. kinshuksunil

Feb 24, 2013
    Male
    Makes Games at Hashstash
    India
    We just pushed an update to the game, version 0.4 of the game will be available soon as an update on your devices..

What's new?
    • Some fixes to how the liquids behave; it is still far from perfect
    • Changes to how the platforms are being generated
    • Some sense of progression, the game changes some elements according to your play everytime the screen flashes purple
    • Game Center now logs score so you can challenge other beta players or compete for best score (the current best is 1493 by me ;)
    • three power-ups: extra life, points chest, weight reset

A note about Power-ups
    The current power-ups implementation is incorrect. In the final game only one power-up will be active at a time. If you pick a different powerup, while you already have one, it will be replaced by the new one. This will be implemented at a later time.

Meanwhile, go ahead, break my score ;)

20. kinshuksunil

Feb 24, 2013
    Male
    Makes Games at Hashstash
    India
    There seems to be some problems with our integration of game center leaderboard.

Did any of you try the game? Were you able to see the leaderboard?