Developers- your Genius companion?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Flickitty, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    This is open to non-devs as well, if you happen to have one (or several) of our games. I thought it might be interesting to compare Genius listings to see if we cross over with any fellow developers.

According to Genius on my iPhone, this is what Flickitty is paired with:

Napsters
    Wheelers Treasure
    Cannon Frenzy
    Face It!
    Mezopuzzle
    Click Deluxe 2
    Hot Air: Fly with santa

I think the only one from this list I have heard of is Wheelers Treasure and maybe Cannon Frenzy.

Flickitty Free seems to be even more eclectic:

Sushi Chain Lite
    Golden Miner 2 Free
    Luxor Lite
    Titanic: Hidden Expedition Lite
    Samuri: Way of the Warrior Lite
    Bricks of Camelot

I haven't heard of any of those titles. I need to get out more.

Tap-Fu Lite, Charmed Lite, and Cheese Collect are paired with some pretty cool stuff on my device.

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    You haven't heard of Luxor?

3. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    To tell you the truth, that one confuses me. Is that the game that has the desktop version that forced another developer (an indie?) to remove their game because it might confuse players? Yeah, I'm confused all right.

4. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    What's Cheese Collect paired with? :)

5. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Cheese Collect:

Champion Archer (pocketmonkeys game)
    Run!
    Doodle Jump
    Flight Control
    Unblock Me Free
    Paper Toss

It might be different on your device, not sure how it works.

6. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Wow, that's nice. :)

Not sure how many people actually check Genius though.

7. iamBone

iamBone Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    I check it :rolleyes:

8. bomber

bomber Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Some technical note: I've seen that the genius feature is generating some random spikes in downloads of apps. Sometimes a game is downloaded 15 times on a day, then falling back to 1 or 2 each day. I personally don't like the genius thing though since it's most of the time just showing stuff that is selling well anyway, since everything on the App Store is based on download numbers. In music it makes more sense since the taste of people is varying. With the App-Genius I've not really found some rare gem yet, forums like toucharcade are much better for that since it's allowing the presentation and discussion of games without having a deep pocket. You can guess what it recommended for me based on Cocoto Kart :rolleyes:

9. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    I have to wonder if the results are generated per app, or whether an algorithm takes into account your past purchases into the results as well. In which case, the results would be different for each person.

10. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Flick, you've never heard of Samurai: WOTW?! Shame on you, shame shame!

11. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    To be honest, I don't have time to check out every single game available. I really don't visit sites to get the latest trends or newest news on apps- I simply don't follow trends at all.

I still haven't even tried Eliminate, and it's FREE.

I get codes from developers from time to time, so I put my effort into those.

12. PocketMonkey

PocketMonkey Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Lol. Hmmm... Champion Archer and Cheese Collect? Sounds like a perfect pair. :)

13. lukeca

lukeca Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    I'm just curious but how do you narrow down Genius to one app so you can find out what it recommends based on that app, when I go to Genius I just get recommendations based on all my apps, there doesn't seem to be a way to single out one.

14. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    You can actually toss out certain recommendations. I haven't tried it, but it would seem to me that you could toss out recommendations except those that you want.

I only posted this thread because I thought it might be interesting for developers to see what they are compared to. This might give you an idea of how to change direction and use that knowledge to your advantage.

Someone earlier posted how Genius tends to pick more popular apps. So? Are you AFRAID of those apps, are you ashamed of being compared to those apps? How about USING those apps for your marketing if it seems applicable? You are legitimately and undeniably being compared to those apps through Apple themselves.

Use it.

15. bomber

bomber Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    I only showed a flaw in the genious idea: most attention of buyers is directed to the tops and the recommended apps. The genius feature is showing apps bought by the same people as the apps that you have bought, such directing mainly to apps from the tops and recommended apps. When I checked my genius list half of the recommended titles were from gameloft - surely they are good quality but most of them are not even related to my apps. Yes just some random rant :D

16. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    I do understand where you are coming from, and I agree with you. It almost seems like a random sampling, with very little in common between the apps.

I think a more telling story would be what does the list look like from the OTHER side. What shows up un Champion Archer's list? Cheese Collect should show up near the top.

I'm going to give Pocket Monkey a sale by buying Champion Archer just to find out what shows up. I was hoping other developers would post a list so that we could cross compare, but nobody is doing it.

The lists could be generated by similar keywords as well, even if gameplay isn't similar. I would be hard-pressed to find a game like Flickitty.

17. lukeca

lukeca Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    I'm just saying I can't find what Thirty One is compared to, or Flickitty (I have that installed, great game!), and I went through like 10 clicks of more apps, I never got any recommendations based on those apps.

I was just wondering how you actually found what it was recommending based off flickity, maybe you just have less apps installed so Flickitty comes up in your list more often.

18. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    I only have about 3 pages of apps, which is a small portion of my 300+ apps (I know, I don't have a lot).

I don't have Thirty One, so I can't see what it compares to. Since Flickitty 1.05 is currently 'In Review' and will hopefully be approved, I can see if the new keywords make a difference. I know Flickitty is horribly matched in Genius right now.

Champion Archer is actually matched pretty good, if PocketMonkey is listening.

19. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

After pressing "more recommendations" about 50 times I haven't found anything compared to How Am I Feeling? and Halp!

Maybe we're TOO unique for our own good... :p

20. Flickitty

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    I have no idea why that would be. I know that several of my apps that are really high profile don't show up in my list- probably because I don't play them very much. Charmed and Flickitty show up constantly in the listings- I am not associated with Charmed.

Or maybe they need to be on your device for a certain period?

Or possibly it is a keyword issue?