Easiest Way to make an App?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by games42, Jan 19, 2009.

1. games42

games42 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I really want to make an iphone game but have ZERO experience with any apple programs and have don't really have experience with programming. So what would be the easiest route to make an app? Should I learn Unity and x-code? Or do I need cocoa and objective C? I'm really clueless so someone please lead me to the easiest way...what do I need to know?
    Thanks!!!

2. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    The best way to develop iPhone applications would be to learn programming languages from the ground up, but it is certainly not the easiest way. If you truly want the most simple way to do it, then I would go with Unity. I'm not sure exactly how it works but I hear no programming experience is needed.

Best Regards,
    - James

3. games42

Dec 28, 2008
    can you list what you would consider the ground up?
    Thank You!

4. BulletDev

Sep 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Well the ground up would be buying books to learn programming languages like Java (avoid), C, Objective C or Cocoa. I think you would be more interested in Unity if you have the money.

5. games42

Dec 28, 2008
    ok thanks alot for your help! i greatly appreciate it!

6. BulletDev

Sep 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    No problem! I hope you enjoy you new Mac.

7. games42

Dec 28, 2008
    Thanks! And I'm assuming the basic lowest end model should be fine and will handle Unity and whatever else whether I decide on an imac OR a macbook?

8. BulletDev

Sep 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Yes, for sure. You won't need to be a huge spender in this situation.

9. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

I mentioned this in the other topic, but just in case somebody comes across this and doesn't know, that's wrong. You need programming experience with Unity; what you don't need to know is all the nitty-gritty of OpenGL ES and Objective-C.

--Eric

10. games42

Dec 28, 2008
    figure about $1000?

What would you say the best way to learn Unity is?

11. Eric5h5

Read the docs, do the tutorials, browse the forums, try your own simple apps, then repeat as necessary until enlightenment sets in and you can make a killer game. :)

--Eric

12. games42

Dec 28, 2008
    But from reading you other post about unity...as a beginner it seems I should try a simpler 2d game, such as a scoops, up there, wurdle type game.....what's the best way to make a game like that? I'm gonna assume Unity is not needed for simple games like that....so should I just learn objective c? or C+? Or cocoa? something else?
    thanks

13. Ph4ntom4

Ph4ntom4 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I got the Unity trial assuming that 2D games would be easier to make, but i've now scrapped that idea and i'm learning Blender so I can make 3D games. Unity is a 3D engine, and it seems that 2D games aren't easy to make on it.

14. mek

mek Well-Known Member

#14 mek, Jan 19, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
    no experience needed, but its not cheap...-haha

here is what is cost me to learn to program, without unity, btw i think a unity license is $1500 or so

I bought a mac mini $800 (upgraded it to 2 gig of ram instead of 1, so the sdk could run more smoothly when compiling)
    $99 for a one year developer license
    and about 2 months of heavy trial and error and teaching yourself, this was, before the NDA was lifted, so i am sure it is easier now...so whatever time it costs you, opportunity costs for about 250 hours of learning and programming before you really get a feel for it

best of luck to you

15. Eric5h5

It's $200 for Unity Indie + $400 for Unity iPhone Basic. You can spend $1500 for Unity Pro + $1500 for Unity iPhone Advanced, but it's not necessary, although you can do more with the advanced licenses.

--Eric

16. SudoWorks LLC

SudoWorks LLC Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I say start with Objective C & Open GL.. in the long run these will be very useful. Having already made a game using Objective C & xCode I can tell you that what you learn is very important. I look at Unity now and it seems like it would be a pice of cake to crank something out. I doubt I would have that feeling without working with xcode first. I would say that Unity is a lot like flash game development.. there is a GUI and you can write code directly for an item. Actually Javascript & ActionScript CS3 are almost exactly the same language.

17. games42

Dec 28, 2008
    So you say start with learning Obj-C and Eric says start with Unity? Or Eric do you agree that starting with Obj-C is the way to go? I'm looking to make 2d type games such as scoops, up there, sneezies, wurdle etc... at least to start...so what do you all think...I really want to do this but it would really cost me months of time if I start down the wrong path...again, I have zero programming experience....thanks for all the input...so which way to go? Learn Obj-C or go with Unity?

18. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    I would treat Unity a little bit like ckick&play, multimedia fusion and construct, where you can create something extremely quickly by importing models and setting speeds and movements but you are going to be limited in what can be done unless you know how to code and add to the pre-set functions.

But for your first game I would use it, if you are willing to pay for unity, it's iphone/touch functions and apple for the rights to sell on the app store, go for it!

19. Eric5h5

Well, I did say that it might be better to get some programming experience before using Unity. If you already had experience, I'd say go with Unity first, but learning a game engine and learning to program at the same time seems like a bit much, and might lead to bad habits later. If you know how things work behind the scenes, it makes understanding Unity a lot easier, and you appreciate it more. It's never wasted effort to know this stuff. Even if you ended up using Unity exclusively later (like I do now), it's still better to have as much knowledge as you can get.

--Eric