Favorite (or Best) RTS Games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by chrisrushing, Dec 23, 2009.

?

What is/are your favorite(s)?

1. Command & Conquer: Red Alert

22.2%
  2. Quantum Collapse

2.8%
  3. Red Conquest

41.7%
  4. Rise of Lost Empires

5.6%
  5. Robocalypse

16.7%
  6. Warfare Incorporated

33.3%
  1. chrisrushing

chrisrushing Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    Chattanooga, TN
    #1 chrisrushing, Dec 23, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
    I searched and couldn't find a thread like this.

Here are the known RTS (real time strategy) games to me. If there are others and ones you recommend, please list. I might accidentally list a TBS (turn based strategy) game, so don't kill me. Ha. I don't think I did though.

Command & Conquer: Red Alert

Quantum Collapse

Red Conquest!

Rise of Lost Empires

Robocalypse

Warfare Incorporated

The only one I have is Robocalypse and i've played lites for Quantum Collapse & Rise of Lost Empires.

//Forgot these

Art of War 2: Global Confederation

2. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

Warfare Inc without a doubt
    -Perfect Controls
    -Campaign + hundreds of downloadable missions
    -Flawless Online Multiplayer

3. fluffyguitarist

fluffyguitarist Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    I'm CEO, bitch.
    Stuck in Limbo
    Robocalypse

Command and Conquer apparently sucks hardcore
    Havent play any onter RTS's tho

4. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Warfare inc. is simply amazing. Get over the graphics and you have a game that you can play for hours.

5. Ajg3

Ajg3 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2009
    Lala Land
    Art of war 2 and warfare Inc <it has multiplayer

6. chrisrushing

May 21, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    Chattanooga, TN
    The thing I don't like about red conquest are just the graphics, I don't want to just play with some geometric shapes in an RTS game. + the cut scenes are so poorly illustrated. I get that it is high rated, but there is nothing familiar or relatable to grasp on to that would push me to buy it. The fact that reviews say its control system is very complex and takes getting use to, doesn't make me any more eager either.

7. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    Rather play with geometric shapes than some generic knight/goblin theme.

8. iamBone

iamBone Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    I like the geometric shapes and stuff, it's a very cool feel. Like Blue Attack! and Blue Defense!

I voted Red Conquest, I've played most of those other RTS' and none of them hooked me as much as Red Conquest, the gameplay is fantastic, and the controls feel very natural after a short while.

In Warfare Inc, the units move without attacking, which is a huge drawback to the gameplay. I love the downloadable missions though, and the online multiplayer is a huge plus (Red Conquest has it in the works though).

9. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    The UI isn't complicated... it may look complicated at the beginning, but you could either spend half an hour in reading my Interface Tutorial OR you could just play around in one of the first levels for 5 minutes which should normally have the same effect...

Really, Red Conquest is GENIUS!

Btw, the next content update (will be released around march, maybe even earlier :D) contains online multiplayer AND another species (or as you say, another set of geometric shapes)...

10. chrisrushing

May 21, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    Chattanooga, TN
    #10 chrisrushing, Dec 23, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
    Again, no offense, just Geodefense (and all the clones) as well as Eliss has burnt me out on the geometrically graphical games. Thus, with that alone i am turned off by it. Not to mention its the easiest type of graphics/illustrations to create. I'm a graphic designer/illustrator so this is what I do.

This is all JUST my opinion and is not meant to be rude.

11. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    Graphics dont make the game.

12. chrisrushing

May 21, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    Chattanooga, TN
    Of course, but neither does story-line, or gameplay, controls, etc... on their own.

As a designer/illustrator, the look of a game is much higher on my list, but overall it has to be a great combination of everything.

To me, robocalypse + rise of lost empires are VASTLY better looking games than Red Conquest, but like all "art"... beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

13. Rixx

Rixx Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    College Instructor
    Longview, Texas
  14. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    I have robocalypse, red conquest and warfare inc.
    Warfare inc. is the best, followed closely by red conquest. Robocalypse was left in the dust. It just didnt have enough content (warfare had tons) or intuitive controls/depth (red conquest has tons of that). All it had were pretty graphics.

15. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    I've played Quantum Collapse, Robocalypse, Warafre Inc, Red Conquest, I feel confident when I say that Red Conquest is the best of the three.

If you want graphics alone stick with Robocalypse or Command and Conquer.

You can read my review in my sig to see a more in-depth explanation. But the thing is, Red conquest! has a very unique control system that is great for the genre on the iPHone. Control-wise I like Quantum COllapse just as much but there are things that get in the way of enjoying the game for quick bursts.

I like the save system on warfare inc and red conquest!. (Really for .99 cents Warfare Inc. is a no brainer though) everytime you quit the app it auto-saves, there are different save slots, and they both start lightning fast.
    You wont know how annoying Warfare Inc. becomes until you play it. It's extremely fun but the glitch of not attacking while moving tends to get annoying. Both games have speed control, you can make them slow or faster. Warfare Inc. has online play you can play even on 3g and has skirmish modes as well as hundreds of missions. Red Conquest has 16 challenge missions and multiplayer mode that you can play against other player (bluetooth/local wifi) or against AI. But online multiplayer is promised for episode 2.

Where Red Conquest really shines are controls though. Hard to use in the beginning but once you start playing you'll thoroughly enjoy them. It's a complicated control system that is easy to learn using the in-depth tutorial (sig) or just by playing a lot. they're not so much "geometric shapes" like geoDefense. They're smoother on the eyes and you change colors. All in all, Red Conquest is a more polished game for me but for .99 cents, you'll be crzy to pass on warfare inc.

Robocalypse, although nice art. I found the gameplay to be very annoying. NO choices on managing where you want to build, lack of micro management, not a great save system etc. Quantum Collapse, I loved but it's too slow to play for quick bursts, it doesnt auto-save either, and the fact that it takes gatherer to build a unit made it annoying. Dont get me wrong i still like it, i liked the controls in here. The group management is a beauty in this game.

16. chrisrushing

May 21, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    Chattanooga, TN
    Are we missing any other RTS games?

17. SirGawaine

SirGawaine Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    Malaysia
    The only ones I have are warfare inc and robocalypse. I didn't have the time to play either of them but my brother says that robocalypse is much more fun and better storyline.

18. Rod130

Rod130 Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Wales, UK
    How about The Settlers?

19. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    robokalypse + red conquest