lite/demo after full version?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ShadowsFall, Jul 12, 2009.

1. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    So why does a lite/demo version come out before the real version..? Kinda odd isn't it? To have the full game and have the demo version come out too at the same time (at times)...

ADD had acually the lite version to come out first than the full version..

Any other games do this o_O?

2. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    D.D.R. and The Void come to mind. It's just a way to generate hype before the games release I would guess. Get the app some attention, so when the full version arrives, it has a large fan base ready to purchase

3. Uhgii

Uhgii Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Broadcasting/News
    New York
    It's really common on a lot of platforms. I remember when I used to get the PC Gamer magazine, I'd get CDs that would come with game demos that were coming out in the near future. It's to get a taste of the game early, and as Fletch said, to assist in generating hype.

Hands on is always better than screenshots/videos, and it can also get the developers a lot more feedback pre-release from a wider market than their alpha/beta testers alone.

4. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    isotope did the same thing, came out with a lite first, and then they let you transfer your experience (I believe?) into the full game as credits

5. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    My question is why lite versions so often arrive extremely late. I just happened to notice that Set Lite (the card game) was released a day or so ago. I bought the full version MONTHS ago. It would have been helpful to have had the demo back then. This actually seems the norm. I'm not sure whether it's because the developers are hoping to get folks like me who aren't patient enough to wait for a lite version that may never arrive to pay upfront or whether there is some logistical reason, like that developing a lite version is an incredibly intricate and detailed process (o_O). Nonetheless, it's an annoying practice for potential buyers. I don't necessarily mind if no lite versions are available. But seeing them appear so long after the full version was released always makes me go "grrhhmmph" :-[. Digital Chocolate has been very good with releasing both version within days of each other. Much appreciated.

Lite versions arriving first isn't something you see too often. But it makes a lot more sense than the far more typical 6-months-later schedule.

6. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Typically, Lite versions are used to increase lagging sales. If done well, it will increase your sales 10x. It also doubles your app's exposure. But, unless a dev knows their Lite version will generate sales based on prior experience, it's not something they generally think of doing quickly, as it could easily ruin their sales if their game isn't popular.

7. dorino

dorino Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    If I remember correctly you or one of the other devs in my thread said they release the lites after the full version because only then can they link to the full inside of the app. :D

8. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    And then climb the Top 100 even faster.

9. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Yes, that is why I release them right after the full versions, as that is what I learned will sell my games the best. A Lite version with no full version link in it makes it a less than ideal transition. But that is all info I learned nearly a year ago. Many devs don't know this info, because they're new.

10. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    iFighter found huge success in that. IMO siberian strike is way better, but ifighter is still at 54 in games, while siberian strike is buried in the jumbled mess that is the app store.