Sonic the Hedgehog Remastered (By Sega)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by killercow, Mar 27, 2013.

1. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

#1 killercow, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Whaaaaaaaaa...*drools*

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Widecreen sounds a bit fishy... are they just cropping the top and/or bottom of the image?

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Remastered ?

Be interesting to see what they add, i've got Sonic on my device when they released it before, must admit i'm quite happy with it, i've got an ipod touch 5 but i'm not too bothered by the black borders.

5. hardA TOEnail

hardA TOEnail Member

Oct 31, 2012
    They will probably enhance the audio and up-scale the graphics. And throw on touch controls of course.

Simple additions to a great game. Can't wait. Wish more devs would release old games like this to the mobile platform

6. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    psj3809's "remastered?" comment is because Sega have already released Sonic 1 and 2 on the App Store. I think the difference here is using a new emulator (the superior Sonic CD one) for better framerate and response times, along with the "widescreen" support that I'm not entirely convinced by.

7. This is being done by Christian Whitehead, the same guy who did Sonic CD. It could be good.

8. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    As far as I know, Sonic CD is a port, while the Sonic retro games Sega released a while ago were emulated. That's why we got retina graphics, new soundtrack, better controls and solid framerate in Sonic CD.

9. theAir

theAir Active Member

Oct 23, 2008
    #9 theAir, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sonic Retro put some information and screenshots up. It's a port like Sonic CD, instead of the emulated versions that are currently on the App Store. This means it gets the full treatment: 60 FPS, updated soundtrack, time attack, and widescreen support. Sonic 2 is also going to be released at some point, but there are no other details about it yet.

Edit: The developer, Christian Whitehead also confirmed that this will be released as an update to the existing apps.

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I have absolutely no problem forking over a few dollars for these, but them being updates is just too damn sweet.

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    To be fair it all sounds good, if its an update for free (I've got all the Sonic games) thats great, and to be fair if it wasnt an update i would probably pay anyway (hell its Sonic !). Nice to see Sega redoing these.

Wish Sega would release a Sega app with lots of older games in it (Afterburner/Ecco etc). They've done that for various machines, just wish they would do one for iOS just like Bally Midway have done (well) and Namco (not so well !)

12. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Ah, I didn't know Sonic CD was a complete port. I always thought he'd just managed to work some miraculous wizardry into an emulator on iOS. Good to know.

The one downside to porting rather than emulating is that it'll take longer for individual games to make it over, but it's not as though Sega was being generous with their emulator library anyway so I guess we're not missing much.

13. Gryphon

Gryphon Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Now they need to redo streets of rage and golden axe.

14. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Yeah, I'm good as far as Sonic games go at this point. Been there, done that. Not much baby changes are gonna make me bite on that anymore. Just trying to keep squeezing a little more out of it, I guess... Meh....

15. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    SEGA Rally Championship 1995.

Get it ported, SEGA ... I'd pay handsomely for it.

16. Gryphon

Gryphon Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2012
    I'm wondering if this might happen now. I said it in jest but now I think its a possibility.

17. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Just read on the SonicRetro forums that the original Sonic port by SEGA has been removed from the App Store.

Looks like the new version is coming very soon.