Where did my free space go ?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by incineratee, Jan 27, 2011.

1. incineratee

incineratee Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    I had 465Mb free space and i downloaded "Tap Town". After downloaded and installed i had 449Mb free space left. Then i opened the app, it connected to the server and i left without playing. I checked my free space again but it dropped 443Mb !? After that i deleted the game and now i have 459Mb free space.

My question is what is that 6Mb that occupies my space unnecessarily? Does iOS saves the old app files even they are deleted or what ?

2. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    6 MB? Seriously? It could be emails pushed to your device, an extra tab in Safari, unremoved Gamecenter data, anything... If it was 600 MB then you'd have a problem.

3. incineratee

Aug 14, 2010
    I did not change anything. Just installed and removed it. Also my email settings on manual and i did not get any mail.

I downloaded and deleted another app and lost 3 more Mb.

I don't care about 3-6Mb free space loss. I try lots of apps every day on appstore to check if it is good or not. It would be a problem if i needed a restore in a short time period.

My question is "Does iOS keep the old data ?" I honestly do not know if it does or not. I always thought it deletes the app completely and leaves no sign.

4. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Every app has it's own folder than contains all of it's data, so when you delete an app, you delete that folder and all the data in it. Therefore, I think that there must be something else adding data. iTunes is not perfect at checking your device's capacity and regularly reports it as over capacity by fifty megabytes or so.

If your worried that every app you've installed has an extra five megabytes of wasted space and your device is filled up with this extra data, you can restore it in iTunes. You'll lose all your game saves and data but you'll eliminate the extra wasted space as well.

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Lol..are you joking me.. as long as your memory is not fluctuating by more than 20mb, everything's normal. Lol..6 mb, please. The last time I've had more than 200mb free on my 32gb was...

6. incineratee

Aug 14, 2010
    Read my second post..

7. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    The iOS device runs through many processes on its on after you install or delete a game. Opening safari, opening another app, or doing anything will cause your memory to change around 5mb.