The Hunger Games...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by KiddToKmart, Mar 24, 2012.

1. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    I haven't been reading books for a couple of years now but, am curious if The Hunger Games is a good entry point for me to get back to my old habits?

I'm purposely avoiding the movie (though it's getting great reviews) to soak in the experience through the books beforehand. Any feedback on how they are and if they're worth it?

And... no spoilers please!

2. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    I just started the series. Loved the first book, though the ending waned cheesy in my opinion; it is contemporary "young adult" literature, though, so that's expected. I'm finding the second book much more compelling. Still have the third yet to go, though the general consensus among my peers was that it sucked. Not that I would take their word for it, mind you, because frankly when your knowledge of pop culture goes back only to 1998, you don't deserve an opinion.

It's definitely an interesting concept, and you can read into the symbolism and meaning a little deeper if that's what you're looking for (evils of government etc.), but overall a good series from what I've experienced. First and second in the series are a definite "Go" from me.

3. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I read them all about a year ago I think I flew through them pretty fast it isn't in my opinion the best trilogy ever but it's not bad either definitely worth reading.

4. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Just got back from seeing the film. I know I'll be reading the trilogy this summer.

5. KiddToKmart

Feb 10, 2011
    Still debating whether to read the book or watch the movie first! :x

6. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    I just saw the movie without reading the book and now I'm dying to pick up a copy of it! Can't wait just go see the movie first it will help you build a basic understanding then when you read the book you will be able to see all the details left out.

I have to say the movie was fantastic! Can't wait for catching fire to come out in 2013! Possibly one of the greatest movies I've seen in a couple years!! I can't get over it I'm in love with the series now but am saddened that there are only 3 books in the series... Will probably re read them a few times!

7. KiddToKmart

Feb 10, 2011

Thanks for the reply... I already started the book yesterday though, so will probably finish it this week and catch it in the Cinema next week :)

8. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

I surprised how good the film was! Go see it!!!! Definately replaces the hole Harry Potter has left :)
    Gonna read the books now i got ages ago but never got round to it

9. TinkyWinky

TinkyWinky Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    BBC Studio
    I watched the movie and it was really good.I didn't read the books so now I hopefully will.

10. KiddToKmart

Feb 10, 2011
    Getting really psyched for the movie now... halfway through the book and can't wait to see how the movie translates over from the book!

11. KiddToKmart

Feb 10, 2011
    Just blew through the second half of the book... lol. Fastest i've ever read a book since Angels and Demons (Dan Brown).

Will go see the movie tomorrow :D

12. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    I read all three books in 4 days!
    I reread the hunger games yesterday, I'll probably watch it today.

13. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    $155m opening weekend..

14. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Reading is overrated.

15. KiddToKmart

Feb 10, 2011
    Heh...

Just got back from watching the movie... sorely disappointed. They left out so many colorful details from the book, it's not even funny. It moved way too fast for my liking... especially when the battles began. The way things were paced in the book were far more balanced and, not to mention, more interesting.

Two thumbs up for the book, didn't like the movie too much though.

16. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Lol, apply that to the HP series translating to film, and you'll have that 10x. Compared to the usual novel adaptation, I'm pretty sure THG on the big screen shares a lot more with its source material.

17. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    I could definitely see this. I started the book last night on my phone and the amount of detail left out is incredible. Even though I'm just 60 or so pages in there's an incredible amount of detail left out like how she's named after a plant etc.

18. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    This is not a particularly good screenplay adaptation. If you haven't read a portion of the book, you're not really going to get it. Many aspects of the dramatic narrative are some combination of weak and/or unfinished. I suppose its entertaining enough. I have a degree in screenwriting though, and this screenplay is significantly flawed.

19. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    I came into the movie not knowing what to expect. I was surprised that it was as dark as it was, and I liked that. I want to read the books, and that's coming from someone who never reads.

And regarding the screenplay, any movie adapted from a book is going to suffer, it's inevitable. But for what it's worth, I thought it was pretty good.

20. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Reading the first book finally! So far at the place where they just picked Peeta and Katniss.