Dungeon Keeper

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by R3v, Feb 6, 2014.

1. R3v

R3v Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    CMO @ PIXEL FEDERATION
    There is a hot discussion about Flappy Bird, however there is even a bigger issue regarding the quality of game in EA's Dungeon Keeper. Have you tried it? There is so much hate going on in reviews all over the web.

EA completely ruined the game with their excessive IAP policy, bringing them headlines like "Microtransaction hell" or "F2P Model is doomed". More info here - Google search results.

Also, they are using quite a shady strategy to manipulate their rankings in Google Play store, says the lastest Pocket Gamer article.

What do you think?

2. NAFNA GAMES

NAFNA GAMES Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2013
    do stuff during the day. indie developer at night.
    Barcelona.
    i think the problem is that the "gamer" public is nostalgic, and wanted a taste of the old good stuff ... without all the modern FTP touch. but most smart phone users are relatively new to gaming ... and accept the concept of FTP ... that is the public EA is seeking ...

a gamers game, with a casual business model ... so its a confusion! and confusion creates bad vides!

3. originalcopy

originalcopy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    But in that case why use the Dungeon Keeper name at all? If what they wanted was to make a Clans of Clans clone they could have just made a new game, call it Clans Clashing and make tons of money from the casuals.

4. takemuraori

takemuraori Well-Known Member

I would say seeing a modern public knowing no better or accepting the concept of social engineering in games is the worst part, if anyone really gave it 5 stars rating out of their own experience that means we have a generation of people that are so deeply embedded into instant gratification logic of consumerism that it is far beyond an alarming rate. saying that it is ok coz they haven't seen old times is like saying that eating Mc Donalds or foods uncontrollably stuffed with pesticides and antibiotics is ok because recent generation hasn't lived on farms and doesn't know how organic and home cooked food tastes like.

Flappy Bird on other hard is nowhere near that bad, it is not bad at all, it would be better if it was sold for 0.99 or whatever but it is just a game that shows that sometimes game mechanics prevail over design and when those are properly address the medium the game is played on it really works. I feel all negative towards Flappy Bird is coming from developers who are frustrated with its success.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Dont agree with that. I love retro games but the big fact here are the IAP's and the model used by EA. They could call it Zoo Keeper and people would be complaining about the crazy IAP's

I'm quite happy buying games at a premium price (X-Com, baldurs gate, KOTOR etc) but older games cant stand freemium, even more so if they use a name of an old favourite.

But in this case EA have gone overboard with freemium, plus all this news about fake ratings etc, thats whats upset people more.