Looking for new RTS/simulation game

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by xerxesthegreat, Oct 3, 2011.

1. xerxesthegreat

Oct 3, 2011
    Not sure why this got moved in to other thread...

So getting a bit bored with Civilization 4, and looking for a similar game to interest me. Ideally a bit more strategy oriented (ie, able to play in portrait mode). Very interested in that Star Command game I've seen, but obviously it isn't out yet. Any recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. Ironbuddha

Ironbuddha Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    There's The Settlers, which may be a little too Civ like for you. For more of a strategy game, there's Nobunaga's Ambition, a RotTK type game. Pick a shogun, conquer all of Japan.

3. xerxesthegreat

Oct 3, 2011
    Another comparison: would love something like homeworld 2 if anyone remembers that :) I saw galaxy on fire, a bit too 'actiony' for playing on the subway.

4. Ironbuddha

Ironbuddha Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Modern Conflict (rts)
    Battle for Wesnoth (tbs)

Either of those catch your eye?

5. xerxesthegreat

Oct 3, 2011
    Iron, thanks for the suggestions! Settlers looks interesting, as did Nobunga. Modern Conflict I wasn't huge on, and the other one looks a bit too D&D'y.

How are Land, Air, and Sea, or C&C? TBH will just read some forums, but figured I'd see if anyone had initial thoughts.

Again, really appreciate the heads up.

6. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Red Conquest is the best RTS on the iOS, hands down. LASW and Starfront take second and third.

7. xerxesthegreat

Oct 3, 2011
    So yah, Starbase Orion FTW

8. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    I agree Starbase Orion is the best strategy game in iOS right now! :p

9. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Starbase Orion is definitely the best turn based game in the appstore

Yeah everybody I've replied to, I've told them Starbase Orion, King of Dragon Pass, or Ascendancy(pretty much an older version of Starbase).

Maybe even check out Final Fantasy Tactics. Great reviews, just not my style.

10. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Nadya. Not so famous but definitely something to take a glance at. Got it during launch sale. Basically you build factors and stuff to create cannons. Enemies can move or come from anywhere which adds a lot of depth to it.