best photo management app?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by hkiphone, Dec 19, 2008.

1. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Hi,
    I had the misfortune of my iPhone crashing, and all I could do was go into DFU mode to reactivate it. Of course, I had lost all my holiday snaps on the iPhone.
    Are there any recommendations on which apps to get that do the following? I would prefer a one-stop-shop app, but won't mind running over multiple apps if the results are far superior.

1) Edit photos (crop, brightness, contrast. Changing to B&W or Sepia is optional)
    2) Mass upload to Flickr or MobileMe to act as a online backup.

Any advice?
    Thanks

2. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    This would be nice. I'd also like to know. If you find one elsewhere, let me/us know here. :)

3. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Photogene and Camerabag

4. hkiphone

Oct 7, 2008
    #4 hkiphone, Dec 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2008
    I was eying up Photogene too, but two more have caught my eye: Photonasis ($0.99) and Photo Daily (free). Just noticed that they have lite versions, so will try them too.

Any other recommendations, or reviews on these apps?

5. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    #5 salsamd, Dec 19, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
    Photo Daily is free. Photonasis lite (free) is the same as the full version, but allows only one save/day. But you can just take a screen save of the n+ 1 images...

But for image acquisition, see article on Camera Pro:

Professional camera features for your iPhone. Take pictures of yourself with the timer, digitally zoom in on people and objects, burst mode, auto-level and silent shutter. Everything you expect from a digital camera, you can do now with your iPhone.

Includes the following features:

Self-Timer (on/off)
    Burst Mode (on/off)
    Digital Zoom (up to 20 x magnification)
    Black & White (color filter)
    Set Image Size (1600x1200, 800x600, 640x480, 320x240)
    Leveler (display motion sensor info)
    Auto-horizon (photo always leveled)
    Silent Shutter (shutter sound off)
    Free, lifetime upgrades
    Free customer support
    What the press says:

Gizmodo: "Camera Pro brings enhanced features to the otherwise bland iPhone camera. It gives you a ridiculous amount of control over the camera"

Wired: "Camera Pro has some features that should have been there in the beginning"

Daily Tech News : "By far the best add-on software for iPhone we've seen so far"

For iPhone version 2.0 and iPhone 3G . Will become available in the official App Store & iTunes as soon as Apple approves sale. Date yet unknown. Burst mode will not be available in the App Store version, but it will include a built-in picture viewer and more features t.b.a..

6. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Photogene is great, I use it all the time. Another app I can easily recommend is Magic Touch, its on sale right now.

To upload pics to flickr I use ShoZu but Klick works just as well. You might also want to check out Pic Quickr which just was made free.

7. hkiphone

Oct 7, 2008
    Thanks guys, you've given me some great help. I did go for Photogene, and its awesome. It does all the essential things needed for a quick touch up, but in incremental levels offering much finer control than the others.
    I tried the lite versions of Photonasis and Photo Daily, but they didn't really impress me. Photonasis especially seems weird as you have to select a filter based on a photo of a jet plane... jumping back and forth between that and your photo seems rather silly.
    Photo Daily makes good use of the slider control but not as much control as Photogene.
    Magic Touch seems quite interesting too, I think it would be damn useful for portrait photos. Might get that abit later.
    Downloaded Klick, AirMe Pic Quickr to do the uploading duties, and will let you know about them later.
    I'm also considering CameraBag. Did you know there's a big community of CameraBag users on Flickr??? Amazing.
    Scavenge looks interesting - daily challenges to take photos of randomly picked topics, that is, if you have lots of time on your hands. :)
    Collage and Photoboard look interesting too. Free form rotation and zooming of photos, overlay on each other, then take snapshot of that collage as a new photo.
    SodaSnap lets you send any photo as an e-postcard.

For uploaders, there's quite afew. As well as AirMe, Pic Quickr and above mentioned Shozu, there's also FlickUp.

www.iLounge.com had a lengthly article about photo apps too.