IPad mini retina 64GB or 128GB?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by one.sixty.four, Oct 23, 2013.

1. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    I'm trying to decide between a 64GB model or a 128GB model on a new iPad mini retina. I currently use a iPod touch 4 8GB, an iPad 1 16GB, and an iPhone 5 16GB. And I have roughly 250GB worth of apps. So I'm currently very tight on space. Thanks for any advice!

2. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    buy ipad mini 16gb wifi,why to save everything on idevice?i have ipad4 16gb and always have 5-8gb free,i am removing all game that i finished...

3. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    Assuming you'll keep it for a few years, the more space the better I'd say. You already have a lot of apps, and the big ones from Gameloft etc already reach into 2/3gbs. I expect we'll see a few more pc conversions like UFO making their way to ios in the near future. Also, you're going to want space for media...(?) photos, video and music, or is it all netflix and spotify? If you can make use of cloud & streaming services then perhaps go for lower.

For reference, my iPad 2 is 64gb WiFi and I'm usually around 20gbs clear of the limit. It's about deleting all those impulse buys that you're never going to play, I've found! ;)

4. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    I will say the same thing I always say. Buy as much storage as you can reasonably afford, ALWAYS.

Whether hard drives or iDevices, it is incredibly short-sighted to scrimp on storage.

I cannot even begin to tell you how many sad friends and relatives I have encountered who initially said, "Whatever am I going to DO with all that storage," only to ultimately tell me they wished they had gone bigger.

Years and years or personal and anecdotal experience tells me, if you have the space, you'll fill it.

You're BEGINNING with 250 gigs, and you're a TA member, so you KNOW what the average week looks like as far as new apps go.

I've got the"bigger" iPhone 4, and the thing is CHOKED with apps I use on a weekly basis... can't WAIT to get into the 64gig iPhone 5.

DBC

5. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    ^ i Dont entirely disagree, I am sure I have hundreds of GB worth of apps. But why do I need a device that can hold so much when I have a hundred games I havent even launched yet? so I have room to buy more games I will never have time to play? lol

6. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I think that no matter how much space the device has, you will fill it up. With a 128 GB model you're just going to have a metric ton of apps you've forgotten you even have. Having said that, I think 16 GB is too small, especially with apps getting larger and larger. 32 GB minimum IMHO.

7. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Higher a staff of trusted friends to play your back logged never played games. Then get them to advise you on the games you should and shouldn't invest your time in. See how simple it can be:)
    In regards to storage the more you have the more you want to stuff it to the limit and that usually costs money. If that's not a problem knock yourself out!

8. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    ^^How high should the staff be?

9. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Well lets just say it's hard to pull them away from playing Weed Farmer long enough to check out your games but it's possible

10. Get 128 gb. I have 64 gb and regret it every single day.

11. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    If we're talking 4mb games, I agree wholeheartedly. As it stands, I play almost every game on my phone at least once weekly.

Assume hypothetically that half of my games are 2 gig'rs. Even if I only have 40 games on my phone, 20X2=40 gigs of space for HALF my games.

With so many seemingly simple games clocking around a gig these days, anyone want to do the math on how fast 60 gigs vanishes?

I personally wouldn't take a free iDevice with less than 32gb, much less pay for one... ;):D

DBC

12. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    But then you'll just regret 128 gb when you fill that up. :)

13. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I've always been fine with a 32gb device. I wouldn't have time to play the hundreds of games a 64 or 128 would store, anyway.

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    128 gb all the way

I have tons of games on my device, i'm someone who likes going in and out of various games. I'm not one of these 'i only have 3 games on my device and have 8 gig free of space all the time' people. I mean whats the point of having free space ? Might as well get an 8 gig device then ! Bit like buying a house and refusing to use one of the rooms !

I love the variety of iOS games, one day i'll play an adventure game, the next a platformer or later on a retro game, watch a film or read a graphic novel etc. I dont want to faff about installing/re-installing, having to delete 10 games so i can install the latest ios update etc

Also with 128 gig you hardly have to worry about storage one bit, could have films if you're on a flight, lots of tv shows and other media heavy things.

128 gig all the way !

15. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    So you have both the mini and ipad 3? Do you prefer one over the other for gaming at home (when not using HDMI)?

16. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Wait, there's a new ipad mini retina?

17. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Never mind Connector. Decided on the air. Just posted craigslist ad for my 3

18. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    Yes. :)

19. Did you just come out of hibernation?

20. Right now, I only have an ipad 3, will be upgrading in a couple of weeks, maybe keep it and get the air, not positive yet. We shall see.