How much C do you need for objC?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by da shiz wiz 19, Dec 21, 2009.

1. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    I've started learning how to code for the past few days and the Apple website said I needed some experience from C to learn objC. SO I started with C. But the question is how much C do I need to know for objC?

2. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
  3. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    well, my question is, what are you using to learn C? im interested...:p

4. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    I'm using some of my parents books on C from when they went to a class for it. Its pretty good actually, explains UNIX too.
    edit: Cannot be found online though.

5. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    i used to teach C at university level. it is definitely NOT the language for people just starting out; there are a lot of pitfalls you can fall into. but there are a lot of common syntax rules between C, Objective-C, Java, C++ and C#. there are some online tutorials, such as:

http://www.cprogramming.com/

but, C programming is not for the light hearted; while it is my language of choice; it is because i've been doing it for 15+ years now - and i know the pitfalls inside out to know how to avoid them.

6. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    Thanks mobile1up
    But I'm not going to be going 'in-depth' with it. I want to learn enough to begin objc.
    What is a language you suggest starting on?

7. Deth4U2

Deth4U2 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Obj-C is a superset of C. You'll need to understand C well to program in Obj-C since it's 99% C to begin with.

8. PixelthisMike

PixelthisMike Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are books that would teach Obj-C to people who have no background in programming. Those books are bound to teach the necessary C stuff in tandem with the Obj-C stuff.

The Obj-C book we have in the office (it is sadly underused but when I have looked through it it's been brilliant) is called "Programming in Objective-C" by Stephen G. Kochan. Here is an excerpt from the introduction that might be of interest to you:

Before you run out and buy this book though a caveat: I haven't learnt Objective-C from this book and I already knew C and C++ before learning Objective-C. I am merely using the book as a reference (and a good one!) every now and then so I can't say whether it does an effective job of teaching the language from scratch. But it does seem to suit your purposes :)

9. dolly

dolly Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2008
    I'v read about that book, "Programming in Objective-C", it got great reviews but there are some concerns. It's quite old and written for an earlier version of the SDK. A follow-up book has been released but if I remember correctly the new one left out on some of the basic beginner parts. But check it out, I'm not entirely sure.

10. PixelthisMike

Yes the edition we have is 2004 but it's not written for the SDK at all, it concentrates on teaching you the language and leaves you to figure out specific frameworks yourself. In this way it remains relevent despite being 5 years old. I don't know anything about newer editions though.

11. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    It looks like I'm going to stay with my course and finish the basic of C. Then I'll move onto objC and skip all that other stuff. I dont have any books for objC so I'll check out that one mentioned Mike.

12. The prez 12521

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    so, I want to get in on C and up. I know very little html but am willing to work hard. what do you all reccommend? what book for begginning C users? please help thanks :p

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Probably best to start with something else judging by this:

14. The prez 12521

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    well theres so much help out there. but whatever u say, so where should i start?

15. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    maybe go straight to objC like pixelmike said? its on the previous page fyi

16. The prez 12521

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    oh, i see it, and do i/ will i need C ?

17. PixelthisMike

Yes you will need to know some C at some stage or another but as the author of the book I mentioned says learning the entire C language as a precursor to Obj-C can actually be a bad idea. This book will teach you what you need to know about C as it teaches you Obj-C, and I'm sure there would be other books/courses that would take the same approach :)

18. The prez 12521

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    alright, thanks much! and without having a mac or anything, where can i experiment with C stuff

19. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    Putty

20. The prez 12521

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    putty free or no?