if there's an app about Chinese legends and fables...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by free fish, Nov 26, 2009.

1. free fish

free fish Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Nanjing, China
    Hello, everyone!
    I want to develop an app about Chinese legends and fables, but I don't know if you guys will be interested?:confused:

2. cutebear

cutebear New Member

Nov 12, 2009
    back you!

I'm always interested in Chinese culture. Actually, I just come back from China.:D

3. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Depends of what kind of game is it. I would be in for a TD game based on Chinese Legends.

4. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    If you ever do one, please make sure it stays true to the chinese look & feel, not the westernized chinese look & feel if you know what I mean. That way, people actually feel like they're buying something genuine from someone who really knows what he's doing well and not just another guy exploiting the rich chinese culture.

For me, Ancient Wonderland has a somehow beautiful chinese feel to it and Zen Bound has a very japanese zen to it, whereas Sun Wukong warrior feels a bit more westernized.

5. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

An app or a game?
    Unless you're Chinese it's extremely difficult to develop a game that accurately incorporates Chinese culture. Most of the attempts in the past are utter failures, which may seem satisfactory to the westerner but shunned by most Chinese and sometimes even taken as an insult. The only game in the store I could think of that successfully reflects Chinese culture is RTK Touch, which is a near-perfect simulation of the events in the novel (though the novel is fictional to start with).
    What ideas do you have so far?

6. free fish

Aug 25, 2009
    Nanjing, China
    Thanks for your advice. In fact, I am a chinese, so what you worry about will be avoided.

7. Kunning

Kunning Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Will the app be a game? I'm Chinese, by the way. If it's game and correctly portrays fables, legends, and history, then I have to say: 太好了!:)

8. free fish

Aug 25, 2009
    Nanjing, China
    Actually, I just want to make an app like 100 greatest short stories in the Books category on the app store. How do you like it?

9. Kunning

Kunning Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Hm... I haven't ever seen books on the App Store generate lots of profit. Making a game would be better, but if you can't and you still want to try (and take a risk) making the book, then I wish you the best of luck! :)

10. free fish

Aug 25, 2009
    Nanjing, China
    Thanks a lot!

11. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

I hope some developer can make a proper version of 四大名著 too... So far I got 三国演艺 and 水浒传, and both are extremely buggy (shows the amount of effort put into it if a book still contains bugs... -.-) in that lots of text are missing or wrongly aligned, or somehow cut and pasted somewhere else, and lots of words are not showing correctly.

12. free fish

Aug 25, 2009
    Nanjing, China
    I think you may get the privated version, and it's always much cheaper than a genuine one.