Strategy games without paying for extras?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Sky Daddy, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Sky Daddy

Sky Daddy New Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Hi guys/gals,

I've got a little question I hope someone can answer. I'm looking for good strategy games along the lines of Civilisation et al, but want some without having to buy extras (don't mind paying an initial sum for the actual game). For example I started playing a great game called Crime City which I was really getting into until I started coming up against players who had paid for access to all these exotic weaponry and other trinkets. It basically made it impossible to compete unless I paid myself or fought other "free" players.

I know the game developers want to make money and I'm all for that but it just sends all strategy out the window when you can just get a leg up by spending a few quid/bucks/euros on gear that far surpasses the free, regular gear.

Hope all that made sense! I'm very new to the whole iPhone game market so maybe I'm being naive but I'd really appreciate some suggestions of strategy game that are either free (completely free) or just require the initial purchase to compete.

Thanks in advance of any replies!

Sky Daddy (THE!)

2. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Starbase Orion ! <--has async multiplayer
    Imperium Galactica 2
    Ascendancy

the 3 top 4X games in the appstore..you actually get the full game in the case of Ascendancy and Imperium Galactica 2>.> unlike the severely gimped version of Civilization in the App Store.

I share your dislike of 'free to play pay to win' games..and there are no in app purchases in these 3 games.

3. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    These sorts of posts are reoccurring with good reason, it's a solid genre bolloxed by Zynga and clones sizing up the ka-ching. I would love to see a solid release without the nonsense.

I still have Ascendancy of PC, I can't speak for the iOS version but it was a great game from memory.