★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
09-16-2010, 09:04 AM
It's a nice game, or seems like it, even though I only got it for a week before it was removed and haven't played it much. I would prefer my old version were supported instead, and that I hadn't paid $5 for it since I didn't need to, but I'll still recommend people download this.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms
09-16-2010, 09:15 AM
This is a great WRPG, I'm glad to see it back on itunes.

09-16-2010, 09:19 AM
Thanks, Jagex!
I was disappointed that it was pulled a couple of days before I went to purchase it, but am happy to get it as a freebie. The original publisher had said you wanted to use the engine for new games. Can you reveal anything at this point?
09-16-2010, 09:19 AM
I was going to buy this before it disappeared. i just started playing the quest instead. They look similar. I'll be trying this one anyway, now that it's free, but does anyone have any strong feelings about which one is the better or the two?
09-16-2010, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by del View Post
I was going to buy this before it disappeared. i just started playing the quest instead. They look similar. I'll be trying this one anyway, now that it's free, but does anyone have any strong feelings about which one is the better or the two?
I prefer The Quest, if only because it's open, where this is linear, and there's just much much more game there with The Quest and its expansions.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms
09-16-2010, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak View Post
Thanks, Jagex!
I was disappointed that it was pulled a couple of days before I went to purchase it, but am happy to get it as a freebie. The original publisher had said you wanted to use the engine for new games. Can you reveal anything at this point?
Nothing to reveal at this stage but we are always looking at what comes next and iPhone is no exception.
09-16-2010, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagex View Post
Hi everyone,

Just to let you know that Undercroft is back and is now entirely free!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/undercroft/id388644935?mt=8

Undercroft is a dazzling, epic adventure set in a fantasy world full of magic and monsters. With over 20 hours of addicting game play, dozens of quests and over 60 enemies to defeat. Download the complete game now for FREE!

6 epic chapters with over 20 hours of game play!
Intricate plot with dozens of quests and plenty side quests to gather extra experience!
Turn-based combat system suitable for well thought out strategic moves as well as for fast fluent attacks!
5 hero classes to choose from with a wide variety of skills and spells Warrior, Mage, Priest, Summoner and Assassin.
Battle your way through dark dungeons, a maze of forests and snowy mountains!
More than 750 items and 60 enemies to defeat!

If you love your retro gaming then give it a try!!

Jagex Games Studio
I found this post from the original Undercroft thread. Rake in Grass is one of my favorite developers. All of their work is top quality. It's too bad that the game is not really lucrative enough for them to keep working on it, but it is great that there is a new developer who has updated it and is offering it for free.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpo...&postcount=284
09-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by del View Post
This one is hard to answer!

If you have never played this type of turn-based RPG before, I'd recommend playing Undercroft first - it is much more straightforward and linear than The Quest, and a lot easier to get in to. It's got better graphics, a party system, and combat and movement that are a lot faster.

That being said, The Quest has an amazingly large 3D world, complex quests (that can even be exclusive in the sense that if you do Y for Z person, then you can't complete X - this game makes you make choices) and a lot more gameplay than Undercroft. Then there are expansions. Graphics are not as nice as Undercroft (it is 3D instead of 2D though) gameplay is a little slower and it's got Rambo syndrome (i.e. you are alone and at times it feels like you are the "one man army.")

Both games are excellent - if you like one, you will probably want to play the other. That probably doesn't answer your question very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
09-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by medianotzu View Post
I prefer The Quest, if only because it's open, where this is linear, and there's just much much more game there with The Quest and its expansions.
That is true. However, I found Undercroft to be far more enjoyable.

EDIT: I agree with Drelbs 100%.

Last edited by squarezero; 09-16-2010 at 09:55 AM.
09-16-2010, 09:53 AM
Still ranks as the best game I ever bought in the App Store. Quite exceptional value, even at the previous price.

Dear Jagex, the most common cry of those who have completed this game is "MORE!", so an in-app expansion or sequel would, really, be a great idea. The whole thing is better presented and tighter than The Quest, which is very popular - somehow Undercroft got buried underneath the noise of higher-profile releases, but the turn-based RPG system that Rake in Grass designed perectly complements mobile devices.

Go on - give us more! I, for one, would pay a premium price for a new game of this scope and quality.