Help meHow to make my daughter happy

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by carrousmile, Jan 15, 2013.

1. carrousmile

carrousmile Member

Jan 11, 2013
    The Christmas holiday has passed,my six years old daughter had bad mood, I hope she is very happy every day. Between the holiday I had bought iPad 2 for her,and download some apps for her, but she just likes few story apps, please tell me some apps for her? I found the boy and the girl are not the same,she doesn’t like game as Angry birds,she likes app that has good story and beautiful scene , similar to ”winter forest ” ,tell me some app like this.

2. leonard_dabinski

leonard_dabinski Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Please do not spoil your young daughter with an iPad/iPhone/laptop etc. I understand you want to see her happy, but doing this will only have repercussions later on in life.

3. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Giving his daughter a gift is going to have repercussions? STFU.

This seemed like a good list. A lot of variety. Not just games, but educational and creative options as well.

http://techland.time.com/2012/09/04/top-25-ipad-apps-for-kids/slide/more-lists/

4. Tannorexic

Tannorexic Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in the spiritual realm
    #4 Tannorexic, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
    How old is she? It's hard to recommend apps without an age..

But theres this app called: iornament
    it's free right now, there's also a lite version so make sure you get the full version while its free.
    It's like a drawing app but its like special effects.. It's really fun to play around with.. I love it, and I'm an adult, but my niece loves it too.. It's one of those apps everyone enjoys I think.
    It's really easy to use, just draw on the screen and it magically makes an awesome kaleidoscope effect.
    Liquidsketch would have been great, it was just free the other day.. If your willing to pay $2 it's great, my 5 year old niece absolutely is addicted to it too, and myself. :)

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Going through some tough times, eh leo?

6. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    I don't know about apps with good stories, but many girls this age like dressing up games, so maybe that's worth a try too. There are tons of them in the App Store, and if you find one, you'll see many others like them in the "customers who bought this also bought..." section. I don't have any specific app to recommend, but just search for "dressing up" in the app store and there are many hits. Many of those apps are free with IAP to unlock the whole game (I don't think those apps usually have consumable IAP, just to unlock, and often the free part is fun enough for a short time). There are also games like "cake maker" where she can design beautiful cakes. At 6, she probably also still likes anything from Toca Boca. It's also fun to have games to play together like Bloop and OLO.

7. There was a storybook that was free recently called Vixes hd that was pretty good. A storybook with puzzles. Check to see if it is free still. But it might work for you.

8. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #8 Vovin, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013

Is he somehow saying that he is suffering from those repercussions now? Well, maybe he's just trolling.

Anyway, as far as I know my female young cousins and my niece, they love Hidden Object games - Big Fish has a giant collection of that. I just would avoid the spooky ones. They also love to play time management games - and there are lots of them in the Appstore. And maybe the new Wake The Cat game will do.
    Kids love stories. So maybe the OP should look out for a game, kind of RPG, that tells a story appropriate for the young girl.
    Oh, and one of my cousins also loves match-3 games, especially this with the Kitten's Playground and the Aliens.

9. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Yes because look how you turned out..

10. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Err, IMHO staring at a backlit screen for a long time since very early in life will have consequences later on. Like, poor eyesight. (although the studies on this are contradictory - apparently video games are good for people with cataract...)

This is easily solved by limiting the amount of game time, though.

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Agree with that, as i said earlier playing on games for long periods isnt good for you. Specially kids, again in the summer holidays we always did a lot of sport and a bit of computers (depending on the weather). My grandparents probably werent happy seeing us watch TV a lot when we were kids, staring at a screen for hours on end kinda thing.

But the poor guy initially just asked what apps were out there for young children, again i'm sure if they were so bad Apple wouldnt allow any.

Lecturing someone on the internet how to raise your kid isnt good. Good parents will know not to give their kids McDonalds, not go let them watch TV 7 hours a day or stare at an ipad for ages etc. Just common sense.

12. carrousmile

carrousmile Member

Jan 11, 2013
    good idea:) thanks

13. OneHitGamer

OneHitGamer Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Game Developer
    Florida
    I have a daughter as well. I recommend buying her either a pony or a castle. But since you asked about iPad games.....

1. Any nickelodeon game
    2. My little pony by gameloft
    3. Any coloring book app
    4. Scribblenuahts
    5. Crayon physics deluxe
    6. Any of those "dress up a princess" apps
    7. Spongebob games
    8. Ice age by gameloft
    9. Jelly car
    Last but not least, Sad Princess. It's an action rpg where you play as a princess smacking baddies. If you tell her she's playing as a princess kicking butt she may actually convert to a hard core gamer. Lmao

Oh and as for not getting her an iPad because of later life effects.... Yes it's true it can turn out bad, the answer is letting kids play these things "in moderation" problem solved. But your a parent and already know this. Lol

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Our daughter LOVES the Peppa Pig apps, also any apps which have animals so you touch the different parts of the screen and a different animation/noise appears.

I think its great she knows how to 'swipe' and touch the icons. Reminds me of when i was younger and trying to use a mouse for the first time !

Only bad thing is, she calls my ipad 'peppa pad' - not good ! Its my ipad, not peppa pad ! (I can see a big battle for control of the ipad soon)

15. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #15 Vovin, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
    My 3 years-old son really enjoys Fruit Ninja, he also loves to watch when I am playing GTA: Vice City, Infinity Blade, any racing game or Minigore 2. He always runs around after that and plays a gangster, lol. He likes to try out Thomas the Tank and drawing apps, I also try to teach him how to play Amateur Surgeon 2 at the moment. I'm always trying to be responsible-minded and don't let him play more than 4 or 5 hours per day. jk

16. Platyrrhine

Platyrrhine Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Grand Theft Pony: Happiness City

Make it happen, Rockstar! For the 3 year old girls out there.

17. Alfalfa

Alfalfa Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Why not give her a book? If it's the story she's looking for... I mean I wouldn't degrade her to mindless button tapping if she's actually looking for an indepth game(which is commendable, especially of a kid of that age)

And like Leo said, I wouldn't overindulge her, but I don't want to steer this thread into the wrong direction(like the trolls who intently show oblivion to Leo's statement), so I will recommend a few apps anyway:

Simpsons Tapped Out (very funny :D, likable characters)
    Scribblenauts

Also check the grossing/top 100 list. A lot of children friendly apps there.

18. OneHitGamer

OneHitGamer Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Game Developer
    Florida
    #18 OneHitGamer, Jan 17, 2013
    Simplet reading limits your mind. Interaction expands it. It helps kids be imaginative to interact with the story versus trying to picture it alone. That will come as they get older. An iPad is no different then anything kids do. You cannot compare an iPad with outside playing as both are healthy. Outside expands physical health and iPad expands mental. As I said before, moderation is needed. You don't want kids to be reading books allllllll the time. Books turn out like video games, they steal a child's attention and keep them from being active. Only kids who play outside and then read books in moderation will lead healthy lives. Games games games makes fat kids. Books books books makes fat kids. Both require them to sit still for long times. As long as kids play games like most read books, they will be fine. Play for a bit, go play. Read for a bit, go play. No difference. Any loving parent already knows that. Regardless of the fun thin the child is doing, physical health needs priority.

And as for the guy who plays grand theft auto and let's his kid watch, wouldn't that go to support the idea that bad games influence bad choices in kids? I mean, kid is running around emulating a gangster....lol me personally I don't let my kids play or watch games that contain adult content. My son is 7 and when he does see his cousins play gta he then points his finger at other kids pretending to shoot them. Could be harmless, but I will do all I can to keep that kind of thinking out of his head. When he gets older and fully knows all right from wrong, that's when I will relax a bit and give him more freedoms. As I know he will be prepared to handle them properly. I remember a news story of a 9 year old brother stabbing his little brother over a Pokemon card. Some kids are just nut cases, but some are just copying what they saw. My kids copy what they see 90% of every day. Luckily for me it's princess stuff and race cars.

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #19 psj3809, Jan 17, 2013
    I like to think back to when i was a kid and we used to play 'cowboys and indians' and pretend to shoot each other. This wasnt from a game, or cartoon, this was just a game kids (7 years old) played.

Also cops and robbers, running about chasing the robbers with pretend guns and arresting them. Was this down to GTA ? Nope that wasnt even out, it was just a game.

I also remember watching 18 rated films when i was 13 or 14, they didnt 'affect' me.

I'm not saying all kids should play GTA or watch 18 rated films when theyre 7 years old but seeing some kid running about playing i dont think we need to start panicking.

Before 'violent' video games we were running about playing cops and robbers, now because GTA is out suddenly people think thats a bad idea (playing cops and robbers kinda thing).

20. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #20 Vovin, Jan 17, 2013

*smiles*
    I was just kidding because of the moralizer comments ... ;)

Moreover, I don't let him play yet. He's still too young. I think a good time to start is autumn, then I'll download some kid apps or educational stuff for him.