Future of mobile games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by sindyan, Jun 24, 2013.

1. sindyan

sindyan Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    What do you think there is the future of mobile gaming? Do you think apple game controller standard will change the direction?

You have the flood of social games (I can't stand), and lately card battling social games. You have the temple run clones or remixes. Is this the future of mobile gaming social games and copies of hits?

2. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    To answer both of your questions... No and no.

3. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    On the controller subject..It's too early to tell,though some developers who don't like touch controls or rather have no confidence with them can see this as a window..It could open an opportunity for different kind of games and experiences..

About the second topic,its clearly no..Though those types of games will never go away..You should monitor what's happening right now for the platform..

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I wouldnt worry. I'm looking forward to it. I've had an icade for a couple of years and love it, the thought of more games working with an external gamepad is great. Get an apple tv, one gamepad and you have a great setup.

There'll still be crappy farmville type games, my little pony games or runners/angry bird clones forever. Future games wont be 'controller only' games i'm sure. Think if anything we'll get more and more games than we do now

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    This.

6. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Apple's big thing with their mobile devices is that they are self-contained and revolve around the intuitive touch experience. To that end, I think you'll find them rejecting games that even recommend using a third-party controller over plain touch, and developers are not actually allowed to require a controller at all. I don't foresee a huge shift coming in the way games are played, to be honest.

7. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines

Well you never really know..Why did they make the move for certified controllers and a means to support them??Things change and innovations happen..Maybe this is part of tim cook's plan..

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I really hate change to be quite honest, but there's nothing we can do when one happens.

How the appstore evolved over the past years has been good and bad, the bad mostly on how rampant IAP abuse is now (from paywalls to multiplayer-pay-to-wins to just plain greedy), and the good mostly on how we get closer to a more constant stream of AA and AAA games and ports.

I imagine these changes will still evolve into the future, and we can only hope for what is more favorable, but the possibility of bad things happening is just around the corner.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Change is good. If Apple became stale then it would lose its foothold for innovation. They didnt become one of the biggest companies ever by not changing.

If anything they need more change as last year people were expecting more and they didnt really live up to their high expectations. I'm hoping to hear about more powerful devices in Sept/Oct, bigger storage is needed for sure.

Android is a huge rival at the moment, if Apple didnt change and lost lots of potential people who bought Android devices instead then its bad for all of us as eventually there'll be less and less games as devs create Android games instead.

I dont think when they first came out with iOS devices they realised how popular they would be for gamers. Its HUGE and lets hope it gets better and better.

i've been gaming for 30 years and i've never known a device so popular, games coming out weekly (or daily), its amazing.

10. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I don't think so. Apple (especially the iOS department) is one of the most predictable companies ever. You know (almost) exactly what device and when to expect it and for what price. The iOS didn't change that much since its release. All Apple keeps doing is adding features to it, making it better. Apple does not adapt to the market, the market adapts to Apple.

That's exactly what makes Apple such a reliable company.

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well the articles i've read the last 9 months or so have constantly been criticising Apple for not changing much recently and becoming stale. They expected bigger things last year and it was much the same.

This year with a brand new iOS look and feel thats a step in the right direction. External controllers are great, they need to announce bigger sized devices all round. In the old days games were a tiny file size, now theyre getting bigger and bigger (AAA type titles).

Looking forward to hearing what Apple does in Sept/Oct time

12. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Funny thing is as much as we all curse IAPs and F2P games they are "echelons" that drive this market forward , boost sales and help keeping iOS on first place in any graph and study conducted so far.
    Obviosly developers always turn first to market which is more popular, wide spread and has more money to spare, not to mention it is relatively easy to get into it.Apple is far from boring currently, they are spreading all around market which is awesome because they got so much popularity and a huge loyal customer base now that it's mostly guaranteed they will succeed in anything they're launching.Launching more diverse products means even more popularity for Apple and in succession also more popularity for iOS development overall.

Will licensed gaming controller change things in App Store ?
    Yes and no.
    Yes because gamers will now have licensed controller that works with every game and their iOS device paired up with bigger screen will give them more immersion and it will be more fun to play games with friends/ family, no more headaches to to configure all controls for every game for 3rd party controllers.
    No because ultimately games need to be made primary with touch base controls in mind.I have read from some developers diaries they aren't porting their games to iOS just because players can't get same game immersion out of touch controls as their buttons counterpart.With licensed controllers we unfortunately won't bridge this gap though as most people still won't buy controllers.

What will be the future of gaming on iOS ?
    Future is very bright for iOS gaming, as long as Apple keeps it's popularity and demand for devices up.Developers have been experimenting with bringing popular AAA games from PC and consoles to App Store and pricing it at upper price range.I haven't seen any sales and income graphs, but from what I've seen out of App Store they sold a lot of digital copies.
    You can't denie that iOS devices aren't directly competing with other handheld devices and influencing overall handheld/ their games sales graphs.iOS was before always about a more simple games and that's why handhelds always ruled hardcore gamers market segment in this part.Now that developers are shifting to releasing premium games for iOS with higher price iOS is much closer to terminating other handheld devices and games sales.Handhelds ( namely 3DS that holds majority of handheld market ) are still alive only because of popular games exclusives, but we will see how long they an keep up with iOS taking their sales share slowly.Huge advantage iOS has is sheer amount of people in
    marketplace,with that in mind developers don't need to pump up price in sky because it's more than positive any popular port game released on App Store will have huge number of downloads and smaller price here can recuperate for any development costs, even more taking in factor that price of port is smaller here than on any other handheld/consoles makes them even more tempting.

I have closely watched an read about all upcoming iOS games , there is so much awesome console quality games coming.Just from Kickstarter there are 3-4 very promising games that will be instant hits and coming soon, games like Forgotten Memories,LSL , Shadowrun Returns, Oceanhorn are all handheld and console quality games.Now with Square Enix and Microsoft orienting more to iOS and planning to release console quality games and ports it will get better, much better.I predict a huge influx of premium games and their sales in near future.

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Agree with that. I think we badly need larger 128 gb devices all round as i can imagine there'll be many more AAA style games.

14. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Well, Apple DOES seem to be losing its foothold in terms of innovation! That's why Samsung has risen to the top now with their new superior hardware and they are kicking ass and taking no prisoners! Apple seems to have (temporarily, at least) lost it's way/direction, and while snoozing, Samsung has totally leap-frogged over it and that's where the new better stuff is coming from now! And that's Android, my friends! The Play store is happening these days, although they're still growing, but rapidly, and it has much potential! Droidgamers is growing and TA acknowledged that by adding Android news, etc. With everyone getting smartphones now, more and more gamers are coming into the fold and gaming in general is swinging towards the mobile arena. All these new consoles are doing now is trying to be everything to everybody (intergrating social networking and new device to new device compatibility and functionality) for one and actually not taking gaming itself to to the next level much, which is gonna shoot itself in the foot IMO. Seems these days console gaming is getting stale with everything being FPS's in some war scenarios and that's it! Mobile gamers have the full gamut of types of new games to play constantly coming every week! Big companies are struggling to come up with blockbuster titles and are merging together, one buying the other with gamers losing out because less good games are coming out. I believe the future of gaming is definitely mobile. Small device in you pocket having everything you want with no extra software to lug around is ideal. I love the way it's evolved, totally geared to life on the go! And if you want to play on a big screen with your hand held device these days, you can do that too, so who needs these big expensive consoles and their $60 apiece software? Bang for your buck goes to the mobile gamer, for sure! I know super hard-core gamers don't wanna hear it, but there are so many more casual gamers out there numbers wise, and in the end mobile gaming will be king. As for more storage, Apple finally busted loose with the 128GB iPad, which I now have, but I don't expect them to increase that for a few years at least now. Maybe the iPhone and iPods may get the bump up next, though. Hey, who knows? I'm not a psychic, if I was, I'd be filthy rich by now, right?

15. addybaddy

addybaddy Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Game development
    you are gonna see a serious in flux of social games this year, as already noted by pocketgamer.biz the free way is going to be the defacto way of doing business in the app store, this means we will be seeing a huge amount of social games.
    In terms of originality you will still have one off hits but the more i speak to devs and small studios ( i own one) the more its becoming about acquiring users and then making money off them slowly, this means that social games are going to have a significant impact in the future of gaming. Although i prefer normal stand alone games the market itself seems to have moved onto social games.