Universal Random Heroes - (by Ravenous Games) [Universal]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by iND, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Winterymix

Winterymix Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Registered Nurse
    West Virginia, USA
    Having lots of fun with this. Controls feel adequate to me. Great job again, Ravenous!

I'm only 4 levels in to the 1st world so far. I *hate* the little helicopter-head critters!

Wintrymix

2. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Yay!! Downloading!

3. Rusothil

Rusothil Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    A couple bugs.
    1) the achievements keep rendering and showing on screen.
    2) the shop menus for costumes and guns over lap. I tried to buy a gun and somehow bought a costume.. Shouldn't be hard to fix but it's annoying. My 3,000 gold down the drain

4. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Mmmmm, Ravenous pixely goodies.. yes, you shall be mine. :)

5. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    i asked about this to ravenous on twitter, and hoped for the best when they responded...but there should be some other way to drop down a level. holding the jump button is a fine idea, but when you character then jumps to the next platform up, just to fall down two, it seems like there must be a better way.

so far, i'm digging the game. i was happy i could get it before heading to work...now i know what i'm doing on the train!

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Intrigued by this comment as I've been spending the past few months blasting through some old Speccy games. How can you get more moronic than no AI at all? Enemies in the 80s just moved back and forth.

7. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Just completed the game, took me a little over an hour I guess, including some boss grinding. Best weapon/armour unlocked, no IAP used.

The game is...sloppy. With corners cut most places you look, but still fun while it lasts due to enjoyable core mechanics. I guess it's a bit like a cheap hooker: (nearest I can imagine of course) quick and dirty, and once you're done you feel empty inside.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm enjoying it, had a fair few crashes though, once lost 1000 gold so that was a bit frustrating.

There was one level where it kept coming up with achievements about the area i was in, but that hasnt happened too much.

Love the gameplay, i'm glad theres not a 'down' button, like the way you have to jump and then go down a level if you keep your finger on jump, just makes it look less cluttered without an extra button.

I'm halfway through world 2, i'm surprised there arent more levels as there doesnt seem to be tons. Dont get me wrong i know its 69p ! Level 1 was very easy though and a lot of the levels seemed quite short, probably not LOE short but they werent the long expansive ones i thought they might be !

But either way for 69p its great, i dont mind some of the 'dumb' enemies as like MidianGTX above says back in the 80's on platform games like Manic Miner they often just went back and forth. Think its good to have a mix of dumb enemies and ones with flying patterns coming towards you.

But so far great, would love extra levels though, there werent any worlds with 'coming soon' on them, hope we get them. Dont mind if you pay more for them or not, just enjoying this and dont want it to end !

Prefer this to LOE, i like the way you cant double jump and do the 'wall slide/jump'. Its more a traditional platformer/shooter. Amazing value for 69p.

9. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    Soldddd. On not buying it. Thanks for impressions. I only deal with the $5000 per hour hookers though. I need them top tier;)

10. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #70 TheFrost, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
    I havent had much time to play this, but so far its good... I like the transition between levels, coins pouring in, the different characters and weapons and that you need to have a better weapon all the time, so you search for enemies all the time :), also, the fact that coins stay even if you die. Levels are medium sized and fun. And controls have the Ravenous stamp on it. Recommended

11. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Considering how skimpy the package is, I wonder if we can expect more levels in an update.

12. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    #72 badmanj, Aug 16, 2012
    Wow you should have played on the Amiga or ST then you would have had more of a challenge. Though surely Chucky Egg was on Spectrum too? That was a sweet game and a real challenge!

Oh and Frak... That was awesome... Would love to play that again on my iPad!

Edit: Just looked up both those games on YouTube and wow did I misremember them! Amazing how rubbish they look now... And the enemies WERE mindless!

How strange!!!

Jamie

13. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

Game Impressions

Overall ... slightly disappointed, but not to the point where it completely deters me from playing.

Initially, it's rather tedious. 8 shots from the starter gun to kill the weakest enemy. That isn't really "Explosive Action", is it?

Crashes = lost gold. I had about 600, the game crashed, I reloaded and I was back to about 400.

It's possible to glitch through the floor and out of the visible game area. I did it after jumping down through a platform, then trying to walk - the player character just kept falling out of sight but the game screen was still visible, etc.

The incredibly weak starter gun feels like it's there to encourage impatient players to grab some IAP cash, rather than contributing in any way to the gameplay. I never thought I'd use the words "grind the first boss" when talking about a platform game, but there you are - that's the best money making tip I can come up with. If you have the revolver, it only takes 30 shots to kill him... And, of course, he's incredibly easy to beat.

No bonus objective items to find. I'm thinking of the briefcases in League of Evil. This game (platform/exploration) would be perfect for that kind of additional level objective, but they missed the opportunity.

14. HelloA

HelloA Member

Jul 14, 2012
    If i remember correctly, this isn't the first time if encountered progress wiping crash bugs from this dev. If you wanna grind tirst boss i'd close the app and reload every 1000 coins or so.

15. beans&rice

beans&rice New Member

Jul 12, 2012
    speaking of damage, i just bought the robot cop suit (highest damage modifier) and the pulse rifle and the damage output is still far from satisfying.

16. josh.hofer

josh.hofer Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Anyone else finding themselves trying to double jump like... all the time? Wish we had that mechanic in this game too! Maybe as an unlockable coin purchase, hrm.

I agree with everyone saying the starter weapon is crap, takes too many shots to kill the weakest person IMO. Wish there were hidden things to collect like the briefcase in League of Evil. Levels don't really feel like they have that much depth. Would also like a better/quicker mechanic for dropping your character down a level.

At .99c this game is totally worth it, room for some tweaks and improvements.. but totally worth it as-is. Looking forward to future updates!

17. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #77 awp69, Aug 16, 2012
    Haven't played much but as fast as I blew through the first world, I am kind of shocked by the lack of content. Since there are branching paths, I guess there is some replay value.

They supported LOE pretty well so I would expect that they'll be releasing more levels.

Yeah, I've been trying to double jump as well. And agree that it is kind of a clunky mechanism to hold down the jump button to drop a level.

Overall, I'm enjoying it, but don't feel like it's quite up to par with their other efforts.

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Like everyone else, i went through the first world and went like... That was the first world? I stopped playing for a bit because i dont want to breeze through the game and to the end yet.

The LOE briefcase suggestion is actually needed here to encourage replay. Also, I was thinking some even have to be in hidden corridors, like how you can go through a hole in the wall, or maybe some breakable walls that hide some collectibles behind them.

19. sinuous

sinuous Active Member

May 8, 2012
    Lead Mobile Developer
    UK
    I should start by saying that I really like this game, but I was wondering if anyone else thinks its a little laggy? It's only slight, but I tried it on a bunch of devices including my 4S and its not quite silky smooth.

20. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Doesnt feel laggy on my 4s or ipad3.