Bad Student Driver (by P1XL Games)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Robin/P1XL, Mar 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin/P1XL

Robin/P1XL Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Programmer
    Thunder Bay, Canada
    #1 Robin/P1XL, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014

Hi everyone! We've put together a new little game that we hope you enjoy. It started off as a Flappyjam entry, and then turned into something else. We're still working on RPG Quest - Minimae II among other things, but also wanted to make a free game to test the waters. Here we go:

Are you the best worst driver? Following on the success of “Super Splatform”, rated 4.5 stars by Touch Arcade, is P1XL Games’ first foray into free, ad-supported gaming: “Bad Student Driver”. Can you pass the student driver test to earn your learner's permit or better? Can you even manage to stay on the road? Are you that terrible of a driver, or is something really wrong with your front-end alignment?

Share your best scores on Twitter, Facebook, or the Game Center leaderboard, and earn achievements as you drive further and (accidentally) wreck more traffic cones.

Releasing March 27th, 2014, Bad Student Driver supports iPhone 4 or newer, and iPod touch 4g or newer. Optimized for iPhone 5.

Shot5-1-2x.png

Shot5-2a-2x.png

Shot5-2b-2x.png

Shot5-3-2x.png

2. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Such original UI! :p

This looks really neat tho haha, is it touch or tilt controls? Really looking forward to anything from you guys :D

3. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    lol I see the essence of flappy in there :D

4. Robin/P1XL

Nov 5, 2009
    Programmer
    Thunder Bay, Canada
    Yes, we think this new UI will revolutionize gaming! :)

It's single tap controls just like that other game - steering a car with just a single button isn't an ideal method, so that's where the BAD student driver idea came in. It's pretty much impossible to drive well, but you can still manage to survive once you figure it out.

Thanks for the support as always!

5. Robin/P1XL

Nov 5, 2009
    Programmer
    Thunder Bay, Canada
    I'm going to work on the trailer this weekend, not sure how much "essence of flappy" I should include ;)

6. Robin/P1XL

Nov 5, 2009
    Programmer
    Thunder Bay, Canada
    Here's a Vine of a very short game of Bad Student Driver: https://vine.co/v/MMgAF3AIV9W

(my son is playing, and really lived up to the name)

7. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Hahah, how old is your son? Well, is he a toddler or is he a student driver (keeping the question internet safe)

8. Robin/P1XL

Nov 5, 2009
    Programmer
    Thunder Bay, Canada
    He's closer to being a student driver than a toddler :) He's actually pretty good at the game now, but making a good gameplay Vine is pretty tricky; after many attempts we figured we couldn't do much better in the 6 seconds.

9. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Oh no! What happened? P1XL was one of the only devs left that I could count on with my apparently now ancient original iPad :(

10. Robin/P1XL

Nov 5, 2009
    Programmer
    Thunder Bay, Canada
    It does run on the iPad 1, but in that 1x / 2x window that iPhone-only apps do. So, you can still play it; we'll make it a Universal app if it gets some traction on the iPhone :)

11. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Oh that's good news! I figured that iPhone 4 meant that it would only run on relatively recent hardware. I will definitely give it a try then.

12. Robin/P1XL

Nov 5, 2009
    Programmer
    Thunder Bay, Canada
    Great! iPad 1 and iPhone 4 were actually both released in early/mid 2010, and are fairly equivalent. Our games would run on even older devices, but Apple drops support in Xcode, the development environment, and makes it a real pain (or impossible) to build for the older devices.

13. Robin/P1XL

Nov 5, 2009
    Programmer
    Thunder Bay, Canada
    Here's the trailer for Bad Student Driver; it'll be released March 27th!

14. Robin/P1XL

Nov 5, 2009
    Programmer
    Thunder Bay, Canada
  15. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012