★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
05-17-2018, 11:32 PM
I don't understand the developer's intent behind the Infinity mode. It seems that it is just a poorly disguised energy-based system of "endless mode", forcing the player to wait and come back in order to make more moves. Why is this type of "free-to-play"-like mechanics and shenanigans being implemented here in a premium game? Why not just let the players play this mode as they pleased to finish the achievements at their own pace? Deliberately slowing players' ability to accrue tickets to use power-ups is not a good reason. These two modes should not conflate each other.

I also think the Arcade mode is too unforgiving due to the random deck allocation of bubbles. Too many times I found to have reached basically a dead-end because of certain bubble allocation. One may chalk it up to just simply restarting the level to try again, but this mentality ignores the fundamental disadvantage (or flaw if put bluntly) of this design. Further, the Bloop fish is moving too fast for many levels to leave time for the player to think through each move. I am aware that I am speaking in the minority here, but I have not seen discussion elsewhere on this fundamental aspect of the game.

Last edited by y2kmp3; 05-18-2018 at 04:13 PM.
05-18-2018, 01:09 PM
I agree. I far prefer the puzzle levels and may not actually finish the arcade levels.

Still worth the money though.
05-18-2018, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kmp3 View Post
I don't understand the developer's intent behind the Infinity mode. It seems that it is just a poorly disguised energy-based system of "endless mode", forcing the player to wait and come back in order to make more moves. Why is this type of "free-to-play"-like mechanics and shenanigans being implemented here in a premium game? Why not just let the players play this mode as they pleased to finish the achievements at their own pace? Deliberately slowing players' ability to accrue tickets to use power-ups is not a good reason. These two modes should not conflate each other.
I see you disagree with the design and that's fine, but slowly accruing tickets for hints and powerups is exactly why it's energy-based. This gives the tickets an inherent value without asking you to spend actual money. The alternative would be to give you unlimited tickets or Infinite play time and you could just use as many as you want, whenever you want. Could the time or ticket quantities be tweaked to make more people happy? Probably and I'm open to suggestion.

Quote:
I also think the Arcade mode is too unforgiving due to the random deck allocation of bubbles. Too many times I found to have reached basically a dead-end because of certain bubble allocation. One may chalk it up to just simply restarting the level to try again, but this mentality ignores the fundamental disadvantage (or flaw if put bluntly) of this design. Further, the Bloop fish is moving too fast for many levels to leave time for the player to think through each move. I am aware that I am speaking in the minority here, but I have not seen discussion elsewhere on this fundamental aspect of the game.
I'm not sure what the issue is here. Is solitaire not a fun game because a bad decision you made early in the game cause you to lose? Unlike solitaire, Tiny Bubbles has a wide range of strategies. Your skill is very much in play in Arcade compared to other Bejeweled-style match 3 games. For example, often it's more effective to outside edge pop a mixed color instead of trying to match it. Consider how many moves it takes to make 4 green or brown bubbles vs. the one move it takes to get rid of a solitary green? The strategy required to be successful later in the game often requires paying close attention to the bounty. Look at what colors are close to 10 and work on collecting only those. Did you notice wilds release an additional color for each color they match with? Use this to get those bounties faster. Make longer chains and get more wilds when you can.

You are very much in control of your success or failure in each puzzle. Build your mastery and then the randomness will have a lesser impact on your success.

Follow Tiny Bubbles Development:
Discord | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Web

Last edited by Pine Street Codeworks; 05-18-2018 at 06:07 PM.
05-18-2018, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstablefan View Post
I agree. I far prefer the puzzle levels and may not actually finish the arcade levels.

Still worth the money though.
That's great to hear and I'm glad you feel it still has value even if you only like the one game style. The game was designed to have these styles separated because there are some players that do prefer one style of game over the other. I could have easily interlaced the 2 game styles in a linear path, but I thought it was a better game that could appeal to more people by forking the paths.

Yesterday, 05:14 AM
Stu,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I appreciate your perspective which understandably differs from mine. I obviously and deeply respect your vision (you as the creator of the game). This is why I preface my previous comment that my view is likely in the minority.

Let me illustrate with an example. May be you can help me to better understand the intended skill-based strategy to solve this achievement.

In Infinity mode, there is an achievement called Ten is Zen to match 10+ bubbles. For 10 bubbles, this means that I have to first set up 3 disjointed islands of 3 same-color bubbles and then match all of them together with one last bubble of the same color. During this build, if the Bloop fish blows a bubble of the same color adjacent to any of the islands, that island will match away and your build is ruined. At first, I thought the "intended" trick was to use only brown bubbles, thinking that the Bloop fish would not blow this color. This turned out not to be the case, as the Bloop fish could even create this mixed color (in addition to any primary and secondary color from the RYB color model). Because the Bloop fish's position is random (I presume), no amount of skills (notwithstanding lots of patience, given this build will take multiple sessions to complete because of the limited number of moves available per session) the player can overcome this by strategising ahead to protect those islands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Street Codeworks View Post
You are very much in control of your success or failure in each puzzle.

Last edited by y2kmp3; Yesterday at 10:52 AM.
Yesterday, 01:30 PM
Quote:
In Infinity mode, there is an achievement called Ten is Zen to match 10+ bubbles. For 10 bubbles, this means that I have to first set up 3 disjointed islands of 3 same-color bubbles and then match all of them together with one last bubble of the same color. During this build, if the Bloop fish blows a bubble of the same color adjacent to any of the islands, that island will match away and your build is ruined. At first, I thought the "intended" trick was to use only brown bubbles, thinking that the Bloop fish would not blow this color. This turned out not to be the case, as the Bloop fish could even create this mixed color (in addition to any primary and secondary color from the RYB color model). Because the Bloop fish's position is random (I presume), no amount of skills (notwithstanding lots of patience, given this build will take multiple sessions to complete because of the limited number of moves available per session) the player can overcome this by strategizing ahead to protect those islands.
Again, this is a case where this achievement requires some deep mastery of the game. This is not an achievement that happens accidentally or for beginning or intermediate players. Nor is it achieved through random circumstance or "trial and error." I will give you some tips on this one:

You've nailed the basic approach, which is creating islands of 3 same-colors. However, when Bloop blows a bubble to match an island, you need to be ready for that and act accordingly. There are several ways to handle this. In infinity mode, Bloop will blow an average 1.5 bubbles after you make a move and always on the outside, so you can be ready to act. If you're trying to maintain an island of 3 yellows, for example, and he blows a 4th yellow, then fill that bubble with red or blue to change it to a non-matching color. Or, you can use a scissors move to pop the extra yellow. If you get a yellow move, then use that to create more islands elsewhere in the cluster.

Be mindful of the size of your cluster when you're making islands, because if the cluster crosses the boundary, then matches will deflate quickly to avoid Urchin Armageddon. This state effectively prevents you from saving your islands should Bloop blow a matching bubble. Avoid crossing the boundary by making matches with other colors so the cluster doesn't get too large.

Lastly, if you're getting low on moves, you can always leave Infinity mode and come back later when you have more moves. You don't have to wait for Bloop to blow all the bubbles in his queue or wait for the urchins to pop all your bubbles.