Best Game You Resisted Buying Because You Were Wrong About It

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ArtNJ, Jan 16, 2010.

1. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    My recent example: puzzle quest. I thought the game sounded childish or silly based on the concept, and ignored people talking about it again and again even though I like some RPGs. Tried the light, realized I was wrong, bought the game and really enjoy it.

What are examples of games you resisted buying because of some sort of mistaken idea about the game, only to discover you really enjoy the game?

2. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Canabalt. Couldnt have been more wrong about how much I`m gonna enjoy it.

3. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    Hook Champ. The lite version didn't do it any justice.

Oh yeah and I was also hesitant on Canabalt, but it turned out to be even BETTER than the flash game I originally played on the website.

4. jxjja

jxjja Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    I was hesitant about Jet Car Stunts but finally got it because all the great reviews

5. SunriseMoon

SunriseMoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    I always wondered how Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor was a platformer, it looked more like all you did was trap bugs with a web. That is, until I bought it.

6. Bdragonst

Bdragonst Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Student
    Japan -> S.Korea -> USA
    Jet Car Stunts, i resisted for like many weeks ...im not usually into car games, but hell, it was great.

7. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

doodle jump.

8. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

9. abruce42

abruce42 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    hmm Id have to say definitely Peggle.. heard so many good things about it but would not spend the money but finaklkly cracked and now I love it.

10. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Zen Bound.

I just didn't get it until I got it, and now I love it. :D

I had the exact opposite experience. If I could go back in time, I would have saved my money for Mirror's Edge, one of the games that inspired Canabalt. It looks like a lot more fun.

11. Aspargusman

Aspargusman Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    touchgrind
    i first felt skeptical for spending 5 bucks from my gift card and reading that it has a steep learning curve, but after the dev told me that there seems to be no apparent price drop coming, I decided to help his business and gave in. It turned out to be one of the games i still constantly enjoy playing, even after unlocking all boards. Board customisation rules!! And nothing beats the satisfying feeling you get after getting 3 million points...

12. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Car Jack Streets. The 2D top-down view and the colourful graphics weren't what I was looking for in a GTA game. I finally bought it when it was on a one-dollar sale and I loved it!

13. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Inotia 2.

I was SO SCARRED from Inotia 1 that I just couldn't do it. I read every post on the Inotia 2 thread and only seen either positive things to say, reviews, impressions and/or very in depth helping amongst TA members to the point where I plunged and got it after about 800 posts or so. Completely different experience from number 1. I recommend it as one of the best RPG games to date on the iTouch. Great game with a huge amount of content as well as beautiful graphics and solid gameplay.

14. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Hook Champ. I missed the .99 sale because I thought it looked like crap. But then I bought it for $2 and am glad I didn't buy it at .99 ;)

15. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    How can you not be glad that you didn't buy it for $0.99, but be glad that you bought it for $2?

16. mrchennyken

mrchennyken Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Doodle jump. Never thought it was any good until I picked it up myself two days ago. Hooked.

17. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Because it's so good I'm glad the devs got more money ;)

18. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    Need For Speed: Shift. After owning all the big titles especially Real Racing, I didn't think this was any significant. Boy, was I wrong.

19. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    CJS, Worms, Minigore & MiniSquadron

20. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

Hook Champ, I got a code somewhere long ago and traded it off cause i didn't like the lite. A while ago I ended up with another code and just thought "screw it" and got the full version. It is now one of my favorite games and bought the dlc to make up for getting a code