[UNPAID]iDevelopment - Programmer/Artist

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by Cinemirc Studios, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Cinemirc Studios

Cinemirc Studios New Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Team name:
    Cinemirc Studios(Not Registered)

Project name:
    Too be decided.

Brief description:
    At first, our aim will be at very basic games. Our projects will consist of addictive, competitive, non-time consuming fun. Avoidance, strategy, and puzzle game play will be dominant.

Target aim:
    Our main goal is to release multiple iPhone/iPod applications.

Compensation:
    Until profit is made, project experience is all we can offer. When profit is made, Cinemirc Studios will take a cut and you will be paid a fair amount of profits.

Technology:
    iPhone SDK
    Mac OS 10.5.5 or later
    Objective C
    Cocoa

Talent needed:
    We are looking for dedicated individuals who are willing to work on projects a minimum of two to four hours a day, five days a week. Experience is a must; applicants must include a portfolio. Age 18+ only please.

Current Openings:
    1 Programmer
    1 Artist

Team structure:
    Our team is small but strong in our areas of expertise. Passion drives us to better our new project and most importantly, ourselves.

Jimmy - Founder - Game Design
    Jessica - Community / Business Management
    Jason - Website / Forum Administrator
    Ryan - Internet Marketing

Our website is currently a work in progress. (No Link)

Contacts:
    Please submit applications and any questions at [email protected]. Applicants please include portfolio.

Previous Work by Team:
    This will be our first game project.

Additional Info:
    We are a small team trying to make our way through a big door. Money is not greater than passion so it is not what drives us. What satisfies our needs is creating and promoting video games. If you would like to find yourself on this team you will need to have that same mindset. MONEY is just a bonus.

2. daconcerror

daconcerror Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    none
    Scotland ;)
    Gutted that it's 18+ :(

3. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    I know 18+ there are some great 18- kids out there, froggy1223 (maker of Cheese Collect) but i wouldnt sign up, but great post!

4. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

and BUNGIE

5. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    i posted a reply to this yesterday; and - for some reason the whole thread disappeared.. it was a fairly sized post as well; bummer.

my point was that if you want to start up a team; get real about it and get some funding so that everyone in the team has a reason to do this - not just for "fun". i mean; if you are an indie dev by yourself the only person you can let down is yourself if you try something. if you don't give people incentive; then they wont deliver.

instead of posting this request here; why not try and assemble a group of local people - maybe post the topic to a newsboard at your local university and find someone who can actually meet with you every now and then so you can at least meet up, have some beers and turn it into a friendship?

i started working in this space; on my own 10+ years ago.

since then i earnt some money; saved it and then re-invested it into computers, devices and more importantly - i started paying people for their services (artwork, audio); at least some small money upfront and some long term benefits. it is a business after all. start small, then grow.

6. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    Agreed. Most teens here are sometimes good, and for free. Make an app with someone like 15 or so that you like. Earn money off it. Then invest. If u really need to, use. Kickstarter.com

7. dhondon

dhondon Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Norway
    How about giving us some numbers?
    We might not have the same idea of whats "fail".

8. Yffum

Yffum Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Well put Prez and Mb1up

Are the games you are going to be making free?... That might make a little more sense...

Btw, mb1up, how's the intern thing going? Have you found anyone yet? I want to try the approach you suggested when I get a little older, maybe in college. Cause we don't really have a town billboard in NYC.

9. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    :) i have found a Moroccan student who will be in Stockholm from July for 3 months - but i am open to more applicants. one of the most important things would be being local to Stockholm

10. Cinemirc Studios

Cinemirc Studios New Member

Jan 3, 2010
    This project is not about money. If money was made it would be distributed among the team fairly. We are very generous, it would all depend on how much was actually made.

This project is for fun. We love what we do and would love to make this our full time career. However, we are realists when it comes to the amount of money that will or wont be made.

Re-read our additional info section; that is what we believe in. If all that came out of this was a game that sat in the iApp store unnoticed, we would be fine with that. We would learn from our mistakes and move on to our next app or project.

We understand that there are some extremely talented developers that are under the age of 18. So, we re-thought the 18+ age requirement. It will be waived only with the agreement to work for experience only. We do not want to deal with any laws or regulations based on paying minors for work.

With todays technology we do not need to be limited by location. Which is why we posted on the internet. We have been sifting through applications by individuals with different talents that live in countries thousands of miles away. If we stayed local that would not be possible. We want to make use of every resource in our grasps.

Hopefully we answered your questions and cleared up some details. If you have any more feel free to PM or e-mail us. We will still be accepting applications until the end of the week.

Thank you,
    Cinemirc Studios

11. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    people should really look at statements like this - not saying it is specific in this case; but they can mean many things. i have signed many licensing agreements with similar "profits" clauses; it is better to base something on gross sales; not profits.. because the marketing, salary, consultant fee's all chew into profit :) didn't gameloft post a million dollar loss last year? yet, bring in millions of dollars in gross sales?

i work on Mobile 1UP when i get a chance; which isn't that often honestly - except maybe the weekends. i have a full time job to fund my "life" - but i couldn't imaging devoting 4+ hours per day to something like this and maintain my job full-time - thats just not feasible.

i typically re-invest all proceeds from Mobile 1UP back into the gaming community; hiring artists - going to conferences - giving back to the community. time is money - regardless how you look at it; even if you are going stuff in good faith, you need to ensure food is on the table.

12. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    More and more people are asking for free development services...I don't like this. :mad:

13. dhondon

dhondon Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Norway
    I agree. this "experience" and "fun" stuff is BS.
    If I want experience and fun, I'll join some open source project.
    No one should work for free on an commercial project.

If you don't want to pay/split profits for the graphics, make them yourself. It's time consuming and hard work.

14. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    So long as you draw up a contract that they and a parent both put signatures on, you are pretty-much safe.
    Even if you claim it's 'just experience' you'd still need to abide by things like maximum working hours, etc. but for a position like this you shouldn't have any problems.

15. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

At least the OP is honest, a bit too honest if you ask me. Putting [UNPAID] in the thread title won't net too many interested people to even read the thread.

16. supermariofan

supermariofan Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Well when you're working for free, you really should put your full effort in, but you really shouldn't be expected to. I mean, you're not getting paid, and they don't know who you are or where you live to force you to work. There's nothing to really force you to work if you don't want to anymore halfway through or something. Working for free, people should take what they can get, be grateful they didn't have to pay for what they got, and move on.

17. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

What kind of logic is this? o_O
    Pay for what they got? What do people who work for free get? Since when do you have to pay to work for someone to get experience?

18. supermariofan

supermariofan Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    #18 supermariofan, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
    No, I mean that the one who hired the free-working person should be grateful that he didn't have to pay for what he got. And I also mean that working for pay, you have to agree on a set amount of time to work, a set amount of pay (ether upfront or profit sharing), etc. But working for free, you probably just want experience. And that's fine. But the danger of making people work for free, is that there's not much keeping them with you when they could be working somewhere else for pay and experience.

19. eXistenT

eXistenT Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Germany
    where does come the name of your company Cinemirc Studios ?
    do you have a logo ?

20. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Why only 1 developer and 1 Artist?
    What do you mean with "Game Design"? The guy who has the ideas?
    Nice that you accept programmers who are younger than 18 now too... if you accept MORE than ONE programmer, I would maybe apply to this (for experience only, but don't expect too much at the beginning... I'm sure I'll learn how to build an app with Cocoa in a few weeks or a month)

4. Might I try to contribute art as well? I can make hand-drawn art (not too well yet, I'm working on that :D)

Note, I won't be able to invest 2 hours a day in this project, but I will invest as much time as I can (=> as I want, because you can't expect some1 to work 2+ hours a day for nothing but experience, and experience is the only thing I want right now :D)

Agreed