iPhone Apps and Crackers.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by DougFischer, Jul 20, 2009.

1. DougFischer

DougFischer Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Hello,

My name is Douglas Fischer and I am Brazilian developer
    of apps for iPhones and iPods Touch.

Recently one of my first application was accepted
    by Apple. Acceptance of buyers is very
    interesting, but am having major problems with
    Crackers.

Someone you know tell me between which forms
    exist to prevent a cracked version of my app
    be distributed?

More details about the app at:
    www.xt3studios.com/Sorteando.html

AppStore Link:
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=319894249&mt=8

Best regards,
    Douglas Fischer
    XT3Studios.com

2. atommo

atommo Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Developer
    Hi Douglas,
    You could probably invest in something to make your game harder to crack, but it won't be worth it. I've watched PC developers spend 20 or 30 grand on copy protection for games only to see the games cracked before they make it on to store shelves.

The only thing you can do is create a "high perceived value" for your products. Basically you need to know who your target audience is, what you assume your game is worth, what they will assume your game is worth, and then price it accordingly.

You can't win over the users who pirate because they don't want to pay for software. That's a losing battle.
    With a good price point you *can* win over the people who are on a budget, or only buy the software they think is worth it.

Don't think of piracy as lost sales. You will never know how many of those people would actually have bought your product if they had no other option but to buy it. Just work with what you have, and make it appealing.

"If you build it, they will come."

3. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    you cannot prevent cracking from happening.

for a while; it was mainly script kiddies who ran a simple program to strip the signature and then re-sign it. however, now, even if you put in place code checks; they will patch around it. why not turn it into something useful tho? we have a highscore submission system - people submit highscores, in the submission; we can log how many people have actually purchased the software.

right now, we run at a ratio of 65% piracy, 35% legit. these are good numbers. so i dont feel too bad about it now.

4. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Funny you should speak of piracy, when in fact your games used to use copywritten graphics. Hell, the game ideas arent even yours either.

Sorry about that, I realize its cruel.

5. DougFischer

DougFischer Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Thank you very much.