iPhone Mechwarrior: Tactical Command

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jmelrose, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Is the max number of units in this RTS only four?

2. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    ^ From Slide To Play:

"Instead, you'll have to tactically manage a lance of four mechs as you wipe out battle tanks and mech-battling human soldiers called Elementals"

So yeah, it looks like it.

3. breender

breender Active Member

Apr 5, 2012
    Have a special meeting during lunch hour so I only able to play the first mission...

The control is good, respond really well most of the time, but the AI seem to have some problem... sometime when I order 2 mech to move, only 1 mech moving, but it is easy to issues a new order so this is not game breaking.

The graphic is just average, and you can't zoom too close to check those mech in details, but at lease you will know wheat mech is it even zoom to the farest view, those laser just like a line paint in color, but missile looks fine to me.

It is only the first mission so I am not sure can we tweak mech's configuration, but there is a mech base button so my bet is yes... need to confirm later. Also.. I hope we can contol more than 4 mech in a mission, but I can't get the answer in the first mission.

The thing I am really disappoint is I don't see a mutiplayer button.. may be it hide from me, or may be it will appear after a patch.

Lets see can I spend more time with it tonight....

4. awertos

awertos Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2012
    good game I like it :D

5. unexpect3rd

unexpect3rd Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Mobile Game Developer (Fulltime as well as indie)
    Singapore
    read couple of reviews on some site (not sure if allowed to post here so i wont), one good, one bad. I rather hear some impressions from the people here :p

6. Armchair Allstar

Armchair Allstar Active Member

May 18, 2011
    I just realized that this wasn't Mechwarrior Tactics, which seems like a much more full featured game.

7. kludger

kludger Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Yeah Mechwarrior Tactics is a full PC game and still in closed beta.

Interested in this as well, the first Appstore review is mixed, so at this price point I am waiting for now to see how the devs handle patching and updates.

8. PrayForDeath

PrayForDeath Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Of course you're allowed to link to them here, why wouldn't you? The only one I've seen was from slide to play, and they slammed the game pretty hard.

9. visionwebs

visionwebs Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    The terrain paint looks like it was done after a bad booze up night,

COPY AND PASTE dAT GRASs! I HAZ COOL CAT!

:D

Meow.

10. MunkieSuthorn

MunkieSuthorn Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    IT Manager
    Connecticut, USA
    Well, I was one of the first folks to mash the buy button last night and I am not totally disappointed. Yes, this does not sound like the stuff ringing endorsements are made of, but I am also a FASA/Mechwarrior fanboy for 25 years.

I have made it half way through the first planet (4 missions), and the game has a lot to like, such as a campaign mode with voice acting (not that bad), and it is rich in the Mechwarrior lore. I loved being reminded of House Kurita and Davion, and the other minor houses, and to see the clan coming in from their drop ships (Clan Snow Raven!!), was a great reminded of the wonderful canon connected to this gaming universe.

The actual game play so far is not too bad, however I do not feel like I am in control with the control layout. It is almost easier for me to let a mech die so I can concentrate on one mech juking to and fro, and able to dodge attacks. Now, I am not the best twitch gamer, but I feel that someone a bit more skilled than I could do a better job of it.

You have standard missions so far such as destroy the communication arrays, or hijack artillery and use it on the enemy. The storyline sets up a few very unique missions so far.

So, so far so good for me as long as you keep my disclaimer in mind, I love this gaming universe. For those that are just looking for a good game with robots, there are probably better offerings for a lower entry fee. I will say that I believe $10 is too high, and I would not be surprised to see this drop to 4.99 range, that would fit the value at this point.

I hope this helps those that are on the fence and wondering, and I would be happy to answer any game play questions I can.

Munkie!

11. unexpect3rd

unexpect3rd Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Mobile Game Developer (Fulltime as well as indie)
    Singapore
    Thanks Sanuku for the video and Munkie for the impression. I have read a couple of reviews about this game on TouchGen, rtsguru and appadvice. Seem like the game is overpriced for what it offers, though fanboys are still going to love it. With that said... I'll give it a pass

12. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    Is this a port of the old pc mech commander game?

13. ZorakZoran

ZorakZoran Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    France
    Sadly, no. Bought it yesterday, graphics are bad, controls are bad, framerate is bad, menus are ugly. The game doesn't really shine in any department, so I am disappoint. I'll be surely happy to do some mech customization when I'll be allowed to, but I don't think I'll play long enough to see it.

8€ isn't a huge some of money, but paying this price for such an unpolished product makes me sad...

14. scubi

scubi Active Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Well damn

I was really hoping this game was going to be a gem but reading the first impression here, I am glad that I did not mash the buy button like I was tempted to last night.

I hope they update it with more features which will make it more attractive a buy, but right now... going to wait and see how it turns out.

Too bad, I love the mechwarrior franchise.

15. Krebmart

Krebmart Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Well I did purchase this game, and here is my mini review:

The game is of the RTS/RTT genre. Obviously, it takes place in the Battletech universe, which may be reason enough for some people to give it a go, even at the at $10. So what do you get for your $10?

You get 21 missions, divided up over 3 planets with 7 missions each. So far, I've finished the first set of 7 missions, and 6 of the second set. Each mission has a set of objectives you're trying to accomplish, and really, the first 7 could be fairly described as a tutorial. In each of the first 7 missions, you have no ability to customize your team, and they try to introduce the game concepts, such as how to capture structures, order spy drones and artillery, and protect a base. And while the missions do serve as a tutorial, they're interesting enough that you're not yawning your way to the finish line.

Once you reach the second planet, you get to customize your team a bit by buying mechs and assigning pilots to them. There isn't too much depth to this customization, but there is a surprisingly large variety of mech options from which to choose, even if most are simply inferior versions of the similar mechs. Furthermore, at the end of missions, you're sometimes award "salvage" clan mechs, which cannot be purchased. While the hard core fan will probably be disappointed by the lack of options, I think the system works well enough for most players.

On the second planet, the missions become more interesting and difficult, although they do feel like bit more like puzzles to be solved then tactical challenges. This is fine, of course, but probably means it doesn't have too much replay value.

The bigger concern is that the controls are, to be blunt, well below what would be acceptable even if this were a RTS/RTT at the dawn of the genre. Pathfinding is abysmal, requiring tedious micromanaging of movement lest one of your mechs get stuck walking endless into the side of a building or a tree. And while there is a nod to tactical possibilities in combat, the control scheme keeps getting in the way. For example, if you want to order one of your mechs to charge a different mech, you have to unselect the other three mechs, tap and hold on the target, wait for the radial display, and select the charge command. This is made worse by the fact that your mech does not always seem to execute a command, although this may be because the buttons seem to be surprisingly fickle about what they consider a tap. Furthermore, the payoff for all this fingerwork seems to be minimal, since most of the time you'll get the same end result by just tapping an enemy and watching as your team stands in place uses normal attacks on it until it dies.

In addition, the user interface is below what I would expect. You cannot save the game during a mission, and more absurdly, if you replay a previous mission, it locks all the subsequent unlocked missions. To me, this is just unacceptable.

Beyond the poor controls, I've encountered numerous bugs, including what is probably a memory leak which causes the app to crash sometimes at the beginning or (more infuriatingly) at the end of a mission. There are other bugs, such as graphical artifacts and the like.

Finally, a game like this really should have a skimish mode and perhaps multiplayer.

This game seems incomplete. It has the feel of an early beta version. And the core game is fun, even with the poor controls, and the battletech universe is an interesting setting.

The bottom line is that this game is the polar opposite of Gameloft's Starfront Collision. While Starfront featured a painfully generic story and setting, and awful cutscenes, MTC does it right. But MTC's control scheme is just terrible compared to Starfront's.

16. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Now that this is universal and sale for $0.99... my understanding from impressions here is that Mechwarrior Tactical is hardly worth it. Now that it's been a while, can anyone further recommend or discourage the 1GB download?

17. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I just bought it this morning when I saw the sale so I'll get back to you later today after I've had a chance to play it.

18. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #39 Bool Zero, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
    If you are a MechWarrior/Battletech fan, this game cannot satisfy your hunger for a true MechWarrior game, period. It is not a MechCommander game if you are looking for that or something similar to the PC game. Well, let me rephrase that. It is a real-time strategy game like that game, but lacks a lot of the tactics, strategy and customization of which that game had. On top of that as others have said it has a, dare I say sloppy interface, sloppy A.I., sloppy pathfinding and requires far too much micromanagement (for all the wrong reasons) for its own good making it a chore at time to manage battles. If I have to constantly moniter my mechs it should be because I am watching ammo counts and type, addressing the problem of a leg being damaged and causing my mech to move slower, or addressing its position in a fight to offset too much damage taken to a side, arm, weapon, etc. this games lacks any of that and plagues you with the problem of "will my mech walk from A to B without getting confused"!

Mind you I bought this at launch for full price, but that has not left me jaded. I still found enjoyment from the game despite it's many flaws and design missteps but I felt I had to make many concessions in order to do so, of which I don't think most people will be able to do as easily unless they truly eat up anything MechWarrior. But I am a MechWarrior/Battletech nut, down to the tabletop tactical games, so I will accept a lot to get my fix as a fan.

I will say this though: the developers have done a decent job of addressing some of the problems with this game with updates. I am not throwing them under the bus anyway, I merely think that when it comes to this franchise, which is very niche and has a very solid team and expectation of it, I believe their design direction may have been a misstep in its development. MechWarrior fans love this property for its challenge, freedom, strategy and complexity; that's the thesis behind the franchise. In many ways this game lacks a lot of those tenants. Also, as the other poster above mentioned, with the lack of a skirmish mode on top of lack of true meaningful customization choices that critically impact strategy and game play, this game gets left feeling half complete.

The short of it: This is no MechCommander. For .99¢ anything is worth the plunge; at full price though, I would take into consideration what has been criticized about the game by others if not me.

19. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    #40 oooooomonkey, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
    Edit: well it seems its linked to iCloud, if you don't have iCloud (in game) active it works fine. Panic over

Well this looks great if only I could play the game ?
    Using iPad 4 iOS 6.1.2
    It crashes when I tried to make a profile so I reloaded the game watched the mission briefing the mission one then when you press the launch mission button it quits the app? Tried again 3 more times and it just quits everytime I press the launch button.